What's for Dinner Tonight? (recipe index in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lauren--Yikes, stay safe in that weather. We'll be at BW; maybe we'll run into you somewhere along the way.

Lindsey--Hope the DH is back to feeling better

Laura--did the Jello fairy visit last night??? How is Caili this morning?

Aimee--sorry things aren't going very well for you. At least no one took any personal shots. Hugs to you

Well, dinner here, as I said yesterday won't be anything to write home about. Just mac and cheese (allbeit "fancy mac and cheese" as DD would say--going all out with the Velveeta shells and cheese!;) )

Last time I checked, the jello was definitely still liquid. Is it supposed to gel in under six hours??

I guess I had better go to sleep and hope the jello fairy visits my fridge. Caili is expecting purple jello tomorrow.

I hope the jello fairy makes it too. However, I cannot be at all helpful. Like Janice, I have a confession - I've never made jello. Ever. I don't eat it, so I never think to make it. The only thing I've ever eaten with jello in it (that I know of, I know some jello makers are a sneaky bunch) is my sister's strawberry pretzel salad. If it all tasted like that then maybe I'd make some myself.

Anyway, I hope Caili feels better tomorrow and the purple jello fairy comes to visit.

Evening all. Just got in - 11pm. I cried all the way home, which is VERY unlike me, and called DH and told him to have me a stiff drink waiting. He did ;)

This is the first time I've thought that maybe I just can't handle staying here... I have no idea how we'd sell our house in this market but we may just to take a loss and move on. I feel very defeated.

(btw - even when the opportunity arose, no shots were taken at me directly. Thankfully.)

I am thankful for that much for you, but I'm sure the stress is overwhelming. Hang in there, we're all pulling for you.

Tonight is my husband's monthly Geek meeting so I think I'm going to order pizza. BUT........

Scott wasn't feeling well yesterday and right now he's in bed with a fever. Poor baby. I will probably still get a pizza for dinner.

WFD at your house?

ETA: I am going to start a new index in the first post since we have so many recipes in this new thread :) I am still working on the blog though. Hopefully I can get it up and running soon (and hopefully they will bring back our old thread soon!)

I hope Scott gets better soon and that he doesn't share his cold with you.

We are having Kathy's Saucy Steak, rice and whatever veggie I pull out of the fridge.

Have a great day!

PS: We have severe weather alerts in this area for later today. Snow, ice and freezing rain. Possible power outages. :scared1: I wish it would just nicely snow for a change!

Stay safe!

BTW - I read Kathy's post about the steak being nothing amazing, but we thought it was wonderful. I think she was being too modest. I knew what we were getting just by reading the ingredients and let me tell you, that cheap cut of sirloin was sooooo tender and sooooo good.

Well, dinner here, as I said yesterday won't be anything to write home about. Just mac and cheese (allbeit "fancy mac and cheese" as DD would say--going all out with the Velveeta shells and cheese!;) )

That is precious!

Tonight's dinner is the request of DH - country style steak with gravy, rice, and butter beans. Can you all tell he's still feeling poorly. The only thing missing from that traditional southern comfort food menu is a pan of biscuits (which Kenny doesn't like if you can believe that).

Tonight's dinner is the request of DH - country style steak with gravy, rice, and butter beans. Can you all tell he's still feeling poorly. The only thing missing from that traditional southern comfort food menu is a pan of biscuits (which Kenny doesn't like if you can believe that).

Trade the rice out for mashed potatoes and omg I am drooling. That makes me miss home.

Aimee - :hug: for you during this rough time.

Lindsay - I hope Scott starts feeling better soon and thanks for working on an index for this thread!:goodvibes

Lauren - Stay safe my friend. Hope you enjoy the Saucy Steak!

Laura How is Caili this morning? I, too, am jello challenged.:rotfl2:

WFD - Grilled pork chops, 'Ohana potatoes and a spinach salad.

Aimee -- I am sorry you had such a rough night last night. I am glad you weren't personally attacked. Hang in there and wait to make any big decisions until you are less emotional and stressed. :hug:

Lindsay -- Sorry to hear that Scott is now sick. I hope he is better soon. Thanks for starting an index for this thread. :thumbsup2

Well, the jello took pity on me and did come together overnight. Caili has almost eaten all of it (I feel like a hospital giving her jello all the time) which means I am going to have to make more. Can I possibly make jello successfully twice??

Caili is still sick, but is improving. She is still running a fever and spending most of the time in her bed, but she has been awake all morning and she is smiling again. The doctor seemed to think the fever would hang around for four to five days, so this is only day three.

Dinner tonight is going to be the roast chicken I wanted to make last night, eggplant sticks, asparagus and mashed potatoes.

Thanks for all the good thoughts on our safety. We live on a hill so the road out front gets really bad. A few weeks ago it was so icy a car crashed right outside our house and poor Tom had to park at the neighbors and walk home. Of course they are saying the commute home tonight is going to be bad so Tom took the truck.

Gretchen, I know Kathy was probably being modest. I cannot wait for the steak...it sounds so yummy.

Laura, glad Caili is feeling a bit better. If you cannot get the next batch of jello to set, freeze it. It's yummy that way!

Lauren - You're not alone, I just heard we're in for some severe weather this evening - storms, hail, possible tornadoes.:eek:

Holy Moly people!!!! A gal goes offline for 3 days and she has a ton of pages to catch up on!!! Am I the only one who HAS to read through everything??? I feel like I need to catch up on all your lives. So, now I have, and I'm back!

Aimee - I'm so sorry that things are so icky at your church! My heart goes out to you and to the rest of the congregation. Please know that I am praying for you.

Lauren - I love the pics of your remodel! (I really liked the picture of you in your safety gear!) If I looked as good as you do without makeup, I would be in heaven!!!

To all of you who are sick or have sick kids - Please get well!! This is an icky season for illness!

Well, now to catch you up on my life:

We took the kids to Taco Time on Friday night, and then to see Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium. It was a really cute movie, and the kids all really liked it! Saturday morning, DH left early for his work trip. My kids all spent the morning playing with friends while I worked on costumes for the school play. Of course, my sewing machine quit working before I was through. So, I had to gather all the kids up, and go to my sister's house. She owns about 3 sewing machines, so she boxed one up for me, and we started back for home. I did have to stop at the store, so there was a break for me.

On Sunday, Alan was still gone, so I got the kids up, ready for church and out the door. While at church, Katie started complaining of a headache and stomachache. She also found a spider bite that worried her (she's deathly afraid of spiders). We came home from church, I fixed french toast for lunch, and we all just relaxed the rest of the day away, watching movies and finishing up the costumes. I fixed a pizza for dinner. Later, Katie found another couple of spider bites. Guess who didn't want to sleep in her room??? On Monday morning, I went to wake Katie up for play practice, and as she got out of bed, I saw that her face was covered in "spider bites." Suspicious, now, I asked if any of her friends had been sick lately. Yup, her best friend (they played together all day on Saturday) had shingles, and the little sister had chicken pox!!! Katie's spider bites were really pox!! So much for the vaccine. So, she's home until they all scab over! Luckily, none of the other kids have shown any symptoms so far (knock on wood).

So, that's what's new in my life! Dinner tonight will be Becky's sausage, white bean and tomato pasta! I'm so looking forward to it! I may make some cheddar bay biscuits to go along (red lobster recipe). We'll see how things go!

Monday

Wow, we've been chatty!

Aimee, sorry for all the stress you are under. That really stinks.

To all the sickies, get well soon!

I am feeling a little better today, which is a good thing!

I don't have any exciting photos from last night. I just made some tortelloni alfredo--NO I did not make the pasta from scratch! I did make the sauce though. I also made a salad and some bread (not pictured). We didn't really eat much.

2258613679_f6a61c0e7a.jpg

Yes, the chicken I am making is a whole chicken wrapped in banana leaves. I have used banana leaves before, to wrap fish, and also a curried rice dish. It does not make the food taste like banana. The flavor is actually kind of hard to describe--kind of herbal, but a little sweet. Hopefully my stomach will decide I am in the mood for this meal and I will have pictures for you later!

Thank you so much! This sounds delicious! I think I have everything on hand except the cilantro and Goya seasoning mix...

Here's my recipe I've worked on for years.

Chicken Enchiladas

4 large chicken breasts
1 large onion chopped finely
1 tbsp diced garlic
2 T chopped cilantro
10 large flour tortillas (or use low carb wheat tortillas)
2 T butter or olive oil
2 large cans enchilada sauce
1 carton chicken broth
1 pack Mexican brand Mozzarella-shredded or grated
1 pack Mexican Cotija Cheese-shredded or grated
Pre-shredded Mexican Cheese Blend can be used instead of grating Mexican Cheeses
½-1 tsp cumin
½-1 tsp chili powder
Cajun Seasoning to taste
½ packet Sazon Goya Seasoning Mix

Boil chicken in water seasoned with ½ packet of Sazon Mix, until chicken is tender. Remove chicken from water and allow to cool. Shred Chicken in food processor until shredded not too fine still a bit chunky. Grate the cheeses & mix the two together.
In large saucepan, sauté in oil or butter, the onions until tender, add garlic and sauté another minute. Remove from heat and add cilantro. Stir onion, garlic, cilantro mixture into chicken. Season the chicken mixture with cumin, chili powder, and Cajun seasoning. Taste the mixture and add more seasonings, if needed. Add ¼ can of enchilada sauce to chicken mixture.
Grease large casserole dish or large foil pan and preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Pour enough sauce into baking pan to lightly cover bottom of pan. -Fill each tortilla with 1/4 cup chicken mixture and equal amount cheeses and roll up. Lay filled tortillas into casserole with seams on the bottom. (Try to fit enchiladas in casserole tightly enough that they do not open when baking, but leaving enough room for sauce to spread around the enchiladas.)
In medium size mixing bowl, stir together the remaining enchilada sauce with equal amount of chicken broth. (Use the cans as measures.)
Pour sauce over enchiladas. Sprinkle any remaining cheese over enchiladas.
Bake uncovered for 30-45 minutes until cheese is melted and slightly browned. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
This dish can also be made as a casserole with the following method. Pour sauce onto greased pan. Layer bottom of dish with overlapped tortillas. Spread chicken mixture over tortillas, spread equal amount of cheese. Place another layer of tortillas over the top, cover with another layer of cheese. Pour enchilada sauce over dish and bake until cheese is slightly browned.

Lauren - You're not alone, I just heard we're in for some severe weather this evening - storms, hail, possible tornadoes.:eek:

Be safe my friend. Got a call from school. They are letting the kids out for half a day today. Poor Andrew worries everytime they do this. My baby asks the office if he can call me. Like I really have a life and go out. :lmao:

I'm here. Just catching up. I'll see you in a minute with a recap of my weekend!

Like you I try and catch up but never seem to. I hope Katie gets better fast. Thank you for the compliment on the no make up thing. You should see me today. I haven't slept in 2 nights. :scared1:
Yes, the chicken I am making is a whole chicken wrapped in banana leaves.

Glad you're feeling a bit better. How is hubby? Pic is great as always! Can't wait to see pics of the chicken. Can you take pics while it cooks?

Katie's spider bites were really pox!! So much for the vaccine. So, she's home until they all scab over!

:eek: Yikes! She was vaccinated but got it anyway?? That is more than a little disturbing. Our pediatrician is requiring a booster for all kids. Maybe this is why. I hope Katie feels better quickly and she doesn't share with the rest of you.

Got a call from school. They are letting the kids out for half a day today. Poor Andrew worries everytime they do this. My baby asks the office if he can call me. Like I really have a life and go out. :lmao:

That is so sweet!

:eek: Yikes! She was vaccinated but got it anyway?? That is more than a little disturbing. Our pediatrician is requiring a booster for all kids. Maybe this is why. I hope Katie feels better quickly and she doesn't share with the rest of you.

That is so sweet!

Yup, completely vaccinated. I'm not sure about Jacob, but I know that the twins had a booster of the vaccine before they started kindergarten.

Katie is feeling really well. The doctor said because she did have the vaccine, she won't have it as bad as it could be. She is mostly bored so we're trying to think of things for her to do.

We've also found that Aqua Velva Blue works better for the itching than calamine lotion. Don't know why. She put it to a test yesterday, and that's what she discovered. Interesting, huh? It does sting a little bit, but relieves the itching faster and longer.

Wasn't I just here yesterday afternoon! and I miss 4 pages!

I haven't been able to read it all yet, cus I'm running back & forth to the bathroom! I could really use some prayers! Had soup last night & was fine, but started getting a headache. This morning woke up with an awful headache so I thought I eat something before I took meds. Small bowl of rice krispies sounded good... it was not! Started up the d., ugh sorry for being gross and I'm so cold. I've got to get moving on this packing.

Glynis, Really sorry to hear about Katie having chicken pox! :hug:

Laura, Glad your a jello, jelled! :thumbsup2

Sheryl- Buddy said that they left Orlando at 4 AM. It was crazy busy there! He said it took about 6 hours from Orlando to Daytona and they were in a lot of traffic. Are you going on Sunday?

Listen, try to feel better.

Nancy, Also please pray for me to not hurt my DH over this! I'm the woman who doesn't know there is a 4 AM on the clock! We were planning on leaving at 6 now I'm hearing 4!:eek:

Holy Moley! Sheryl, Stay in Disney! ;)

Ah, you think I could get away with a visit to SSR spa while poor Bob takes my Mom to the race! ;)

Glynis - Hugs & prayers for Katie!:hug:

:thumbsup2

I haven't been able to read it all yet, cus I'm running back & forth to the bathroom! I could really use some prayers! Had soup last night & was fine, but started getting a headache. This morning woke up with an awful headache so I thought I eat something before I took meds. Small bowl of rice krispies sounded good... it was not! Started up the d., ugh sorry for being gross and I'm so cold. I've got to get moving on this packing.

Sheryl - Prayers for you my friend.:hug:

Sheryl, I am praying for you to get better. I would definitely go to the spa! ;) If I were you, I wouldn't even go to bed to be on the road at 4am...live on coffee, red bull and whatever other caffeine you could get your hands on!

I have a question for all of you...

I have baby back ribs marinating and I was going to throw them in the crock pot tomorrow with some SBRs. I need something easy since A's class is doing a presentation during the day. Do you have any tips? Should I just do them in the oven? We like how they come in the crock....Am I thinking too much into this??? :rolleyes1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter