What's for Dinner Tonight? (recipe index in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, We're having Earl of Sandwich for dinner tonite! :cheer2:

We'll be in the World!

Jean

Have a great time! I LOVE that place....that is where I worked when it was the Gourmet Pantry...I cry as soon as I walk in the door or near the place. Such great times had there...especially when I drove the golf cart into the building!!!

Well I glad you finally joined us! I have made this one from Recipezaar adn my family enjoyed it.

Thank you, that one looks delish!

I am unfortunately allergic to soy. Do you have any ideas re: what I might substitute for the soy sauce?

Have a great time! I LOVE that place....that is where I worked when it was the Gourmet Pantry...I cry as soon as I walk in the door or near the place. Such great times had there...especially when I drove the golf cart into the building!!!

What a picture :rotfl2:

It sure looks like it's a good thing to have a new thread every now & then!

Welcome to All newcomers!

Jean, We are all very jealous of you right now!:goodvibes

Nancy, That is really sweet that Kady & Buddy have "date night"!:cutie:

Lauren, You drove a golf cart into the building?! :laughing: Why am I not surprised?;)

I think I'm going to make Irish Lamb Stew tonight. I'll probably use this recipe, I've used it before & it was delicious! Funny instructions, if you don't like lamb use lamb! :lmao: Reminds me of the line in Big Fat Greek Wedding. You don't like meat? I fix you lamb.:lmao:

IRISH LAMB STEW
If you do not like Lamb- use Lamb - (you might wish to add more carrots and garlic and pepper) A traditional Meal- Just right for after a night out at the pubs-and it gets better as it gets older!
Ingredients: 1/2 pound thickly sliced bacon,
diced 6 pounds boneless LAMB shoulder cut into 2-inch pieces
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 cloves garlic,peeled and finely chopped
1 Large Yellow Onion peeled and finely chopped
1/2 cup water
4 cups Beef Stock -canned or home-made
2 teaspoons sugar
4 cups carrots-cut into 1 inch pieces-use large manly ones!
2 large yellow onions peeled and sliced
3 pounds potatoes peeled,quartered and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 teaspoon dried thyme,
whole 1 bay leaf
1 cup dry white wine
Garnish-chopped parsley

Instructions:
Saute bacon in large frying pan-reserve fat and bacon.
Put lamb salt pepper and flour in large mixing bowl-toss to coat meat evenly,Brown meat in frying pan with bacon fat.
Put meat into 10 quart stove top casserole-leave 1/4 cup of fat in frying pan.
Add the garlic and yellow onion and saute till onion begins to color.
Deglaze frying pan with 1/2 cup water and add the garlic-onion mixture to casserole with bacon pieces,beef stock and sugar.
Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or till tender. Add remaining ingredients to pot and simmer covered for 20 minutes until veg. is tender.
Check for salt and pepper before serving-top with parsley garnish before serving.

I also have this much simpler recipe given to me by another diser. It was in the F&W '06 cookbook. We had the stew at the Fest that year & I came home determined to recreate it. I really think they left things out of this recipe though. The first recipe with the wine & broth comes really close to the dish we enjoyed so much!

Lamb Stew – recipe from F&W fest cookbook courtesy of Disneyfav4ever

1/2 cup bacon, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
1 1/2 lbs lamb, cut into 2-inch cubes
1 med onion, thinly sliced
4 med carrots, cut in half
2 cups potatoes, 1/2 inch cubes
3/4 lb cabbage, coarsely chopped

1) In a med casserole over low heat cook the bacon until brown and crisp, about five minutes. With a slotted spoon transfer bacon to paper towels and set aside.

2) Brown lamb in bacon fat, about 5 - 7 minutes, season with salt and pepper. Add bacon, and cover with enough water to just cover the meat. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for one hour.

3) Add the onions and carrots. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.

4) Add the cabbage and potatoes, cook for another 30 minutes, or until meat is tender.

I just got an IM from Robin, they are coming tonight. Oy, pray that things go well. It was an e-mail sent to Scott at work, but totally personal. Let's put it this way: Scott called me a little while ago. He had gone down to their kitchen to make some tea. Robin came in after him. They didn't say a thing to each other.

I think Robin knows she was rude and just doesn't know where to go from here. Tonight will be interesting. Say a prayer for the 4 of us, please.

Well, after reading the Mac and Cheese thread and finding out that it should be served with meatloaf, I am going to (try) to make homemade mac & cheese AND homemade meatloaf. I haven't made a homemade meatloaf in about a dozen years, and only made mac & cheese once. If anybody has fabulous recipes for either one, I'd love to have them!

Well, after reading the Mac and Cheese thread and finding out that it should be served with meatloaf, I am going to (try) to make homemade mac & cheese AND homemade meatloaf. I haven't made a homemade meatloaf in about a dozen years, and only made mac & cheese once. If anybody has fabulous recipes for either one, I'd love to have them!

Hi! Kathy (tigerkat) posted a recipe for meatloaf from Martha Stewart not too long ago...

I also have my tried and true recipe...easy too. I will post it in a little while...is that OK?

I didn't want to jump in before either. But I will now. I got about a 1/3 of the recipes I wanted copied yesterday, but it just took so long because the boards were so slow. So I hope the old thread does come back, there were so many good ones.

Tonight we will be having the Creamy Italian Chicken in the crock pot recipe. I think I got it off of the cooking board crockpot thread. Anyway, I haven't tried it before so we'll see.

I tried a different one night before last, but I think it was in the crock pot too long. THe chicken was still very tender and good, but the stuffing was pretty burnt. I think it was just in there too long though. I'm putting tonights in the crockpot on my lunch break. DH doesn't get home until around 8:30 or 9:00 so that should work out good.

Lindsay, I am sure all will be fine...Prayer said.

This is the recipe that my family likes the best.

Meat Loaf

1 1/2# ground beef, or meat loaf mix
1 cup milk
1 tbs worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp dried sage
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dry ground mustard (or prepared if that is what you have on hand)
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 clove garlic, finely chopped or 1/8 tsp powder
1 large egg
3 slices of bread, torn into small pieces ***I substitute 3/4 cup quick cooking oatmeal or 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
1 small onion, finely chopped, dehydrated onion works well too
1/2 cup ketchup or other desired sauce (I used a can of tomato soup mixed with a few dashes of worcestershire sauce)

Heat oven to 350

Mix all ingredients, except ketchup (or other sauce). Make into loaf and put in baking dish or loaf pan. Spread sauce over the top.

Bake uncovered for about 1 hour 20 minutes until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees (170 if pork is used or 180 for turkey)...I usually just bake it another 10 - 15 minutes.

Let sit for 5 - 10 minutes before slicing.

Hey - just wanted to give a shout out for the "clearance meat section" at the grocery store. I rarely look through it. I had set my eye on hamburgers for last night. But there were 2 packages of lamb chops with a 30% off sticker! Lamb chops are Mom's favorite, so I couldn't resist! Better yet, as I was checking out, the clerk couldn't get the 30% sticker off and thought she could take it off after the fact. She had to call the manager over and he didn't want to figure out 30%, so he gave me 50% off!

Ma was please - I haven't seen that 91 year-old woman eat that much meat in a long time!

**Disclaimer: "clearance" meat should be eaten the day you buy it!****

Hi! Kathy (tigerkat) posted a recipe for meatloaf from Martha Stewart not too long ago...

I also have my tried and true recipe...easy too. I will post it in a little while...is that OK?

I'd love to have your recipe, whenever you find time to post!

I've never been to Earl of Sandwich! I would probably love that place. Do they have pressed sandwiches and stuff like that?

It is sad that our old thread is gone, but awesome that lots of new folks are joining in. Welcome everybody! Please post recipes! And pictures if you have them.

Last night I made french onion soup. The recipe called for a chicken stock base. I think beef os more traditional, but since I don't eat red meat, this one worked for me. I did take some leftover braised short ribs out of the freezer and shredded them and added to DH's bowl.

I don't know, I've been craving onion soup lately, but once I actually tasted it, I remembered that I don't really like it!! Oh well. The salad was good though--it was just green beans, beets, fennel, avocado, and lettuce, with a lemon dressing. I also heated up a baguette.

Here's a picuture, kind of dark because we did not eat until around 9 PM:

2217285829_b7733db706.jpg

Here's hoping the old thread comes back.....Or at the very least the recipes. How will I decide what to cook?????

WFD....either take-out or leftovers. I did try out my 1st homemade mac-n-cheese recipe this week. Two thumbs up from the boys who previously would only eat Kraft! I'll wait and post the recipe once the thread situation gets sorted out.

Happy Friday everyone!

I think Robin knows she was rude and just doesn't know where to go from here. Tonight will be interesting. Say a prayer for the 4 of us, please.

No problem, Lindsay. Good Luck!

I found you guys! :)

:cheer2::cheer2: We're like a Band of Sisters....no one gets left behind :thumbsup2

Thank you, that one looks delish!

I am unfortunately allergic to soy. Do you have any ideas re: what I might substitute for the soy sauce?

I just checked the ingredients for Worcester sauce and there is no soy in that. You could try that or another finishing sauce. I think A-1 may be too strong but there is one for chicken and that may work.

It sure looks like it's a good thing to have a new thread every now & then!

Reminds me of the line in Big Fat Greek Wedding. You don't like meat? I fix you lamb.:lmao:

I agree with you Sheryl. We are meeting new folks so this is a good thing. I hope we get the other one back long enough fro me to get more recipes into my file. I made the mistake of rereading the thread when I started it the last time. Now you know why I have time management issues.....I am easily distracted from my original mission :confused3

Your lamb quote reminds me of my sister. My Mom would not eat meat on Friday's during Lent. I don't either. Gail does. She stopped by one afternoon loaded with McDonald's bags....filled with McChicken sandwiches! "I know you won't eat meat so I bought chicken" :lmao::lmao::lmao:

I am a cheater in the kitchen. Actually this is a disclaimer to any new folks who don't know me yet. I have not met a recipe that I can stick to. The results are not always pretty:upsidedow.

Whenever I make a meatloaf I use ground turkey or beef and add onion soup mix (1 pkg per LB), ketchup, oatmeal and a little water. If I am using lean turkey I add a little vegetable oil. I don't use eggs as my DGD is allergic. I pop it into a pan and cook at 350 for about an hour or so. I glaze the top with a mixture of equal parts ketchup, brown sugar and yellow mustard. I heat it on the stove and add it the last 1/2 hour, adding more every ten minutes or so. It is really good.

I didn't want to jump in before either. But I will now.

I'm glad that you did :thumbsup2.

Hey - just wanted to give a shout out for the "clearance meat section" at the grocery store. She had to call the manager over and he didn't want to figure out 30%, so he gave me 50% off!

**Disclaimer: "clearance" meat should be eaten the day you buy it!****

Great deal! I used to hit the meat department in a favorite store early in the morning. There were some great deals, especially on the more expensive cuts of meat and I always took advantage of them. I used to freeze them so we were able to have my favorites more often.

Lauren- you drove into the store??????? :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Oh, We're having Earl of Sandwich for dinner tonite! :cheer2:

We'll be in the World!

Jean

Have a great time!!!

Kathy, How is Kyle?

I am in a fog or something today...my body is still adjusting to the miscarriage and I think my first TOM is here...so that may be it. Sorry to give TMI...

A is going by his dad this weekend so that may be why I am in a funk too...some weeks affect me more than others. I think he will be home early on Sunday though since he has to come back this way for Little League try outs. This is his first year for LL...please send him some pixie dust...I think the other boys will be alot better than my baby...:scared:

Kyle's been on an overnight retreat for the Seniors, I won't see him until this evening. I have fallen in love with his car.:laughing: I've been running around in it all morning!!

I'll keep you in my prayers that you get out of your funk.

pixiedust: for A and the try-outs, please let me know how he does. I wish we were closer Kyle would LOVE to work with him, he really enjoys the camps he helps teach at.

I found you guys! :)

Stick around please!!!!

Say a prayer for the 4 of us, please.

Prayers said.:hug:

I've tried many meatloaf recipes and this one is our favorite:

http://www.marthastewart.com/portal...a0aRCRD&autonomy_kw=meatloaf 101&rsc=header_1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter