• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What would you do???

bigfish2215

Mouseketeer
I work for an eye doc. I have 16 years under my belt. The doc just hired a new girl that has never worked in optics! I make the appts. Sell the glasses/contacts. Fit patients with the product. Get insurance benefits and file them. Pre-test patients...Well, I do it ALL!! The new girl is going to be working the front desk ONLY and I saw her payscale out and she is making $5.00 more than me an hour!! I did look up what I should be making with all my years and it would be $1 more than what the new girl. Some one just coming in this field would be starting out $2.00 LESS than what I make now.

So, my ????'s are would you ask your boss for a raise?? Or wait it out? It just bugs me that I know she is making $400 extra a month than me and I do it ALL

in your case, yes, i would calmly state my case for a raise, and point out all of my duties and responsibilities. i wouldn't mention the new girl, but i would state what i would like my new hourly rate to be. good luck!

I would ask for a raise. If not then I would look for another job. Good luck!

It is something I see in my company everyday. The long time employees, started low, get the few % raise each year. New people are hired at todays rates.....It is common, not right but common.

I have an upper management position and I see people get hired, in lesser positions, for a few thousand less than me. I don't sweat it...I think of the other parts of the package that I have (6 weeks vacation, stock options etc).

First of all, don't balme the new girl. It is not her fault so although it is probably hard to look at her without being furious, do not blame her.

Second- start applying elswhere. See if there is a market for you to make more. Change is hard, but you might be able to make a lot more elsewhere.

Third- Ask for a raise and be prepared to walk if you don't get it. If he doesn't value you, you need to value yourself. He has taken advantage of you enough.

Edit to add- does she get benefits? As the previous poster pointed out you might have great benefits she might not get any at all. I feel for you, I would be hurt and angry.

My sister doesn't need the extra benefits from employers and has often, successfully I might add, negotiated for a higher wage with employers. If someone who had been with the company longer were to see her rate of pay they would wonder the same.

I don't get any benefits. I have only worked for this doc for the last two years. I helped start the practice from the ground up. I only get 1 week of vacation.

Is this right too... we work saturdays for only 4 hours. If a holiday falls on a saturday we only get paid for the 4 hrs we would of worked. We would get paid for 8 hours if it falls on a day where you work 8 hours. If the holiday is on Sunday no pay because that's your day off. But, here's my gripe...I work 10 hrs on Mondays and Memorial Day and Labor Day are on Mondays and I only get paid for 8. When I say anything I get it all equals out don't worry. That's the downside of working for a private practice with only 3 employees with NO handbook!

at one of my old jobs i was a supervisor and i found out someone who was just hired as a regular employee was making like $1 more than me. When i said something to my manager he flat out told me i was hoping you wouldnt find out. I did get a raise tho.

Wait so you have been there 2 years not 16? That just took away all the outrage. Just ask for a raise.

I would look for work elsewhere. You are doing it "all" and the doctor hires someone who does less than you do and pays them more? Also pays you 8hrs for 10hrs of work?

Sounds like a crummy boss if you ask me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter