What would you do? Would you cancel if son is sick?

bullynj

Earning My Ears
We took our 5 yr old to the doctor on Fri to get medicine because he started to run a fever on Thurs evening, today (Sat) hes still running temps, not as bad as initially but enough to need motrin. Were due to leave for Disney on Wends and we were originally supposed to leave 3/27 and had to reschedule because my husband was very sick, then this week I got phenmonia (sp?) I'm much better, still have a bad cough but now our little guy has something, I am sure (hopefully) he will recover by Wends, but we have to make a decision on weather to reschedule by Mon at 3 - but what would you all do? Im also paranoid my parents are going to get what we have since they were taking care of us this week and they are going with us on vaca.

I'd try to stop the motrin, at least during the day. Fever is how the body fights fever.

Are you driving or flying? Can you reschedule without a fee? And if you do reschedule, do you have the time off to go again? My answer would depend on these things unless he has pneumonia, then I'd definately reschedule. Pneumonia is nothing to mess around with.

Are you sure you don't all have the same thing? We have ONE virus that has been making the rounds at our house for the past 3 weeks. I had it for a week starting 3/15 and DD4 woke up with a 105 degree fever this morning. She is the last to get it and it has mostly been affecting 1 or 2 of us at a time, with our fevers lasting about a week. Since your DH was "very sick" and you had a serious illness, you might want to consider it just in case he has the same. That said, you have a little over 24 hours until you have to make a decision, so hopefully he will start to feel better within that time.

I don't know... last year, the night we checked in, DD1 came down with 101 fever. It was her only symptom and she was devastated. I just dosed her up with Motrin during the day and made her ride in a stroller. I told her as long as she was not vomiting, come hell or high water, I was not going to let fever ruin her trip! Thankfully, it must have just been a little virus because by day 3 she was fever free and we had a great time on our trip.
How does your son feel now? By Wednesaday, he might be just fine!!

I don't know... last year, the night we checked in, DD1 came down with 101 fever. It was her only symptom and she was devastated. I just dosed her up with Motrin during the day and made her ride in a stroller. I told her as long as she was not vomiting, come hell or high water, I was not going to let fever ruin her trip! Thankfully, it must have just been a little virus because by day 3 she was fever free and we had a great time on our trip.
How does your son feel now? By Wednesaday, he might be just fine!!

I'm sorry, but I have to say something about this. This attitude drives me crazy. It's one thing to expose people when you don't know you are sick, but it's another to knowingly expose everyone else-- especially on vacation. Your "little virus" could make someone else very very sick.
Anyway, back to OP. If you have the opportunity to reschedule, I would. Give the little one time to really recover so you can all enjoy your trip.

Well if the fever is not 100.4 at the least most doctors and for sure hospitals wont treat it anyways. i would try to wean the motrin myself. I would see how he feels because by now if it is something that is going to linger you would know. I would keep meds with me anyways and enjoy the trip. As far as exposure the risk of transmission of most illnesses is before the symptoms appear anyways. And going to walmart is just as risky.

I'd try to stop the motrin, at least during the day. Fever is how the body fights fever.

Yes, this. As long as the fever isn't making them miserable or isn't extremely high...try not to treat it. The fever is heating his body up to try and kill off what is making him sick. If you keep suppressing it, it can take him longer to get better.

I'm sorry, but I have to say soemthing about this. This attitude drives me crazy. It's one thing to expose people when you don't know you are sick, but it's another to knowingly expose everyone else-- especially on vacation. Your "little virus" could make someone else very very sick.

Yes! For goodness sakes! Don't go out with a fever. Most virus and bacteria are contagious when you have a fever. It is very irresponsible to take your feverish child out, not to mention slightly unkind to said child, whether in stroller or not. It's not the same as resting it out until the fever is gone. It's one thing if you aren't aware, quite another to blatantly drag your child about Disney with a fever for 3 days. I realize it is disappointing to a child, but the lesson is that they are far more important than any trip or vacation.

OP, I would really go with your gut. If you feel like you should cancel, you should. Trust your mama instincts.
You ds will probably feel fine by Weds. Did you have him tested for strep? It is mad crazy going around and the symptoms do not always show what the doctor expects. My 2ds and dh all had strep last week and the nurse wasn't going to test, but I insisted. If that were the case, even if he started abx tomorrow, he would be fine to go by Weds.
...but how are you feeling? Do you feel up to it? :hug:

We took our 5 yr old to the doctor on Fri to get medicine because he started to run a fever on Thurs evening, today (Sat) hes still running temps, not as bad as initially but enough to need motrin. Were due to leave for Disney on Wends and we were originally supposed to leave 3/27 and had to reschedule because my husband was very sick, then this week I got phenmonia (sp?) I'm much better, still have a bad cough but now our little guy has something, I am sure (hopefully) he will recover by Wends, but we have to make a decision on weather to reschedule by Mon at 3 - but what would you all do? Im also paranoid my parents are going to get what we have since they were taking care of us this week and they are going with us on vaca.

:grouphug: I'm sorry your family is/has been sick recently. I would probably reschedule if he is still running a fever. Did the doctor run any tests to check to see if it was viral or bacterial or strep or the flu??

Also, since your bodies are already fighting off illness you immune system is compromised and you will be more prone to catching something.

Good luck on your decision and I hope you all feel 100% soon.

I'm sorry, but I have to say something about this. This attitude drives me crazy. It's one thing to expose people when you don't know you are sick, but it's another to knowingly expose everyone else-- especially on vacation. Your "little virus" could make someone else very very sick.
Anyway, back to OP. If you have the opportunity to reschedule, I would. Give the little one time to really recover so you can all enjoy your trip.

I have to agree. My ds had a fever for a few days 2 weeks ago. It's was the FLU even though he didn't have many other symptoms. I don't want to get the flu while I'm on vacation. Sorry. If it was a baby with a fever due to teething, different story. I know cancelling a Disney trip sucks, I've done it twice. I hope your son is feeling better soon.

I wouldn't cancel a trip I was taking on Wednesday because my child had a fever today. Fever are most common when you have an infection, being it a bacterial or viral infection. I would treat the fever for 24 hours and if at that point there was no break in it I would then go to the dr to see if we can determine the type of infection it was or where it was originating from.

I would also go on my trip even if my child was still showing signs of fever as long as the fever was getting better and there wee no other symptoms. Fever in itself is a good thing, it means your body is doing it's job.

Personally I would, and have canceled trips at the last minute due to DS getting ill. Even if the fever breaks it can come back the next day or so. If you choose to go anyway make sure he is fever free a good 48 hours .
Also, make sure he has his energy back.
This is only a trip that can be taken another time. It stinks, I know , but let your son get well 100%.princess:

I would not reschedule due to a low fever - MAYBE if it was spiking high.

I do not believe that giving a child with a mild fever Motrin to bring it down and then bringing him on a plane or to a park will produce any additional level of germs/bacteria than already exist in a place where thousands of people are. I'm not saying that a fever does not bring germs and spread them - I'm just saying that at WDW that germ level is already exponential due to the sheer volume of people and adding in one additional child will not make it any more dangerous for others to catch something - that threat is already very high with or without the additional sick person. Most illnesses are already contagious even before you show symptoms, so those germs exist even if everyone is currently healthy.

I would only ever reschedule if my child was in danger of throwing up throughout the plane ride or if he/she was so sick that they were miserable and not wanting to move at all. If it was any sickness that gets 'better' for awhile with medicine I would medicate and go! And if needed, based on how he's feeling, when there do a couple short days or even a whole day or two relaxing in the room to start the trip and to allow sick person to start feeling better.

I think it depends on how severe it is and how your child handles being sick. Whatever you do - skip the Finding Nemo show ;)

If my child was running a fever for more than 24 hours I would reschedule. You said your DH was very sick and you, yourself, had pneumonia. I get how badly you want to go on vacation. Just think how you would feel if you went on vacation and caught the virus from the child sitting behind you. Then, you had to spend a few days out of commission at the hotel. I just don't get how selfish some people can be (not saying you, OP). People talking about how they would go as long as their child was not feeling bad. A fever is a sign of your body trying to fight something off. Some people don't have great immunity and that fever in your child could lead to something very bad in another. Personally, I could never do that.

Hope your child is feeling better!

Do you realize how many germs there are at Disney World? It is not like my daughter was running around licking people. She wasn't puking, having diarrhea, coughing & sneezing and spreading germs... she had NO other symptoms other than fever. If she had felt badly, of COURSE I would have not taken her around to all of the parks. But when I gave her Motrin, she felt completely fine. We went home early the first day so that she could rest and did the same the second day. By day 3, the fever was gone and she was fine the rest of our trip. I'd do it again!

Do you realize how many germs there are at Disney World? It is not like my daughter was running around licking people. She wasn't puking, having diarrhea, coughing & sneezing and spreading germs... she had NO other symptoms other than fever. If she had felt badly, of COURSE I would have not taken her around to all of the parks. But when I gave her Motrin, she felt completely fine. We went home early the first day so that she could rest and did the same the second day. By day 3, the fever was gone and she was fine the rest of our trip. I'd do it again!

Yup...absolutely realize how many germs there are. That's why I carry around my hand sanitizer. I was referring more to the plane than anything else. If you drive, not an issue. I guess my point is that the virus in your DD may not be bad sounds like she was able to fight it off so she didn't have any symptoms other than the fever. That same virus in another child could have a very different outcome. If you are okay with that, then go for it.

We drove but..... if someone's immune system is that delicate then Disney World might not be the best place for them to visit. I'm just saying....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter