What would you do with this day?

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
No park hoppers, 5 day passes. Kids are 5 (G) & 8 (B). We have 8 days in Florida, and our current plan is: 2 days for MK, 2 days for Epcot, 1 day for AK, 2 non-park days and then we have one day left at the end.

Now, we have 5 day passes, but we're willing to add a 6th day. So, I have tentatively planned going to HS in the afternoon for our last day. The things I think we would try would be: Frozen Sing a Long, Indiana Jones, Disney Jr show, Beauty & The Beast, Star Tours, Toy Story, Animation Academy, Muppet Vision, hitting up Characterpalooza and then Fantasmic. So... not a bad plan, and I know we would go and have fun, but that said, of all the parks this is the one I'm most lukewarm on, and I think is going to be the most uneven in interest for the kids. In all other parks the kids will pretty well enjoy everything equally. But here, DD isn't going to want to do Star Tours, DS probably could care less about the Beauty & The Beast or Frozen Sing a Long show. The only thing they've really expressed interest in is Indiana Jones and Fantasmic, and I'm not sure I want to give up a day for a park we're lukewarm on.

So.....

I've also considered doing a 3rd day at MK. Just due to the way our FP+ got booked, and other things (we have the Family Magic tour booked for our first MK day, then BBB & CRT booked for our second MK day), we're probably not going to be able to see any of the shows (like Dream Along with Mickey, dance parties etc...), plus it'd be nice to be able to meet a few more of the characters, we could do the Pirates Tutorial and Adventure. And we could do second trips on a couple of the favorite rides. We could also do FoF on this day, which would make our first MK day a bit shorter as well (for us this would be a perk). But, with the knowledge that this is a one and only trip, I'm wondering if we'll regret not going to HS.

Asking the kids is pointless - my daughter wants to go to HS because she wants to see Fantasmic, my son wants to go to MK.

So.... input? :)

I would do HS. There's plenty there to do (as you listed). Can you and your partner each take a kid and one does Frozen, etc; the other person goes to do Star Tours, etc.

First off, I think that you should definitely add a sixth day (especially if this is a once-in-a-lifetime trip).

The choice between DHS and another MK day is harder though. I am tempted to suggest DHS since there is so much there to see. But there is so much at MK too! You will have fun no matter which one you go to.

FYI I don't think you'll have time for all of the stuff that you list at DHS in just one day if you start just in the afternoon. (In fact, it will be close to impossible to hit all four shows: Frozen, Indiana Jones, Disney Jr, and Beauty and the Beast).

Also if you choose DHS, I would still keep your second MK day for your last day (assuming that the timing works out), since it is a funner park to end on.

I agree with ghtx. If you want to see all those shows at HS an afternoon into evening may not work because of the showtimes. I would take a look at the times and see if it's possible.

Also if it's a once in a lifetime trip would you consider doing 7 day passes and only having one day off? If you aren't park hopping your AK day won't be a late one and you could do one shorter day at MK & Epcot (since you have multi days there). So you'd still have some down time three evenings & 1 day.

I would do a 7 day ticket and do HS and AK for one day each, MK three times and Epcot twice. AK closes early(and is usually not a full day park for us anyway). There is lots to do at HS - if you go, definitely do the Animation Academy!

Last edited:
I agree with ghtx. If you want to see all those shows at HS an afternoon into evening may not work because of the showtimes. I would take a look at the times and see if it's possible.

Also if it's a once in a lifetime trip would you consider doing 7 day passes and only having one day off? If you aren't park hopping your AK day won't be a late one and you could do one shorter day at MK & Epcot (since you have multi days there). So you'd still have some down time three evenings & 1 day.

Good points on the show times. We will be doing the MSEP and Wishes at MK the night before, so it'll be late... so I know there's no way that we'll be able to get DH out the door for RD. But maybe we could aim for 11 or 12.

We could look at doing something like this. Maybe on our second free day. We could spend a few hours at MK and then take the boat over to Fort Wilderness for our 4:00 HDDR. That would leave us with two free afternoons (we plan to be done at Epcot around 1 or 2 each day), a full day off, then a couple mornings to sleep in, plus all evenings free except for the last one.

I would spend a 3rd day at MK and do the things you wouldn't normally do due to time, like PL for your DS, parades, shows and shops.

Decisions, decisions, lol. I don't even want to ask DH his thoughts, he wants nothing to do with the planning of this trip!

Are you sure your dd won't like Star Tours? My dd has always loved it, and she has zero interest in Star Wars. It's a really fun ride. Also, I bet your kids will both LOVE TSMM! Also, don't rule out TOT. My kids were 4 and 5 when the rode it for the first time.

I'd add a 6th day and go to DHS. If you can only arrive in the afternoon for some reason, just prioritize what you want to see. You can't do it all no matter how many days you have!

Enjoy.

Last edited:
I also like that you're planning some non-park days. I like to relax when I'm on vacation, too! Plus I find that I enjoy the parks even more when I take a day off every few days.

DHS. All of the things you listed at DHS are good. If you decide once you are there that you need more MK time, then you can do that instead more easily than switching to DHS because of Toy Story.

I would do 7 day passes actually and do both DHS and another MK day and then the MK days can all be a bit shorter. :)

Last edited:
For the minimal cost I would do like a PP said and get 7 days, just for the flexibility to go to a park if you want to. If this is a one and only trip, I would definitely want to at least experience some of HS and I think your kids would like Fantasmic. My family finally did this for the first time 2 years ago after 3 previous trips and my kids and I LOVED it. Not everyone enjoys HS but we like it enough to dedicate an entire day to it. We can do this park in a relaxed manner and still do everything we want to do. My daughter tried Star Tours at DL last summer and fell in love with it. Your daughter may enjoy it.

Definitely add a day at DHS. At that age, my kids would choose 2 days at DHS long before 2 at Epcot. You need to be at DHS before noon to see multiple shows. The show times are listed on the touringplans site so you can plan the day in advance. Our son and daughter also have distinct preferences, so this is a great opportunity to split up. Most of the vacation we stick together, but at some point during the vacation they start getting on each other's nerves and we are all ready for a break from the 24/7 family time. We start the day together at Toy Story Midway Mania (best family ride in all of WDW ;) then DH will take DS to the stunt shows while I take DD to see Belle and Little Mermaid. We meet back up at a certain time to see Disney Jr. or Animation Academy, etc. It really is a great full day park, and the kids love seeing all the characters in Fantasmic!

I would definitely add the extra days to your tickets. Beyond 5 day tickets, the difference is only about $10 per person to add another day (minimal in the grand scheme of paying for a Disney trip!) We usually do 10 day tickets and love knowing that it's okay to arrive late or leave early because we can come back another day. We rarely take days completely off, but often go to a park for only a couple hours to see a couple favorites, especially when the weather is not pleasant.

Are you sure your dd won't like Star Tours? My dd has always loved it, and she has zero interest in Star Wars. It's a really fun ride. Also, I bet your kids will both LOVE TSMM! Also, don't rule out TOT. My kids were 4 and 5 when the rode it for the first time.

I'd add a 6th day and go to DHS. If you can only arrive in the afternoon for some reason, just prioritize what you want to see. You can't do it all no matter how many days you have!

Enjoy.

Oh they'll definitely love TSMM, and there'll be a meltdown from DD when she can't immediately go back on it, lol. TOT is definitely out for us. :) I think what we'll do is leave it up to the kids to decide, but I imagine we'll go.

I always try to have as many days as we are there, because the cost is minimal after 4 or 5 days. That way you can go back to any park you want. I always look at additional park days as insurance...and the least expensive of all WDW add ons.

Also... If your son is a big Star Wars fan, check out the Jedi training at DHS. My 6 year old cannot wait to go to this park and "hopefully" do this.

I would add 7 day tickets like pp said. U can always go to parks at rope drop, and then head back to resort pool in afternoon to relax/swim. Then head back to park supper time for a few evening hours before bed.

Good points on the show times. We will be doing the MSEP and Wishes at MK the night before, so it'll be late... so I know there's no way that we'll be able to get DH out the door for RD. But maybe we could aim for 11 or 12.

What about letting the DH sleep in and thou going to DHS early and meeting up with him later? Otherwise, you will miss valuable park time, especially if this is a once trip

I would definitely get a 7 day pass and try all four parks. You don't need to spend the entire day at a park if you need some down time.

I'm just going to echo a couple things pp's said :) Definitely do HS! It's my favorite park so I'm a little biased but I do think there's a lot to do. But, to do all the shows does take time b/c of the showtimes. I also agree with adding the additional day(s) since the cost is on the minimal side.

We're another family that splits up in HS. DH takes younger DS on TSMM first thing while I take older DS to RnRc and then we go on TSMM again together later. We also split up for TOT; I think it's fine when you're doing so much else together at other parks. It keeps everyone happy & you get more done :thumbsup2

mshanson I've read some of your other posts. I know it's important for you to get the kids to bed at their regular time and try keeping them on a schedule-I respect and understand that ::yes::. But if there's any way you can manage RD at HS, it's really the best way to do a day there. Sometimes the Disney excitement enables kids to handle more up time and less rest time than they can at home!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter