• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What Would Cause A Cruise Cancelation

Is the luggage in the water a common or rare thing? I was looking at those ziploc space bags today. Should I or shouldn't I? DH will laugh at me and not want to do it.
Rare. But it does happen (not just on DCL). It's a good idea to use plastic liners of some sort inside your suitcase at any rate. It could help when the luggage trucks are left out in the rain.

But, space bags could be difficult to reuse onboard. There's really no vacuum for you to use to suck out the air.

I wasn't thinking of using them for their space saving ability, but for their water tight ability. I thought about garbage bags, but if they get soaked, then a garbage bag isn't going to help. Do you have any suggestions, PrincessSchmoo?

I wasn't thinking of using them for their space saving ability, but for their water tight ability. I thought about garbage bags, but if they get soaked, then a garbage bag isn't going to help. Do you have any suggestions, PrincessSchmoo?
Only thing I can think of is a large garbage bag. Lay it sideways in one side of the suitcase, fill with clothes/items and then seal it with one of those twist ties (maybe two). It'll either do the job, or it won't. If it does - great. If not, you're no worse off.

I would not worry about them cancelling because of low sales. They will fill the ship by offering discounts. They did that on a number of European cruises this year. The European market is soft right now, but its still early. Not everyone books months in advance. Our Iceland cruise ending up selling out after a variety of discounts were offered.

The luggage in the water had happened several times. Here is a photo of it happening in Miami:

View attachment 197600
It also happened as we disembarked the Wonder in Galveston last year. Thankfully our luggage stayed dry.

Seems like Miami is prone to it - I've seen more than one report of it happening there. I may have to do my packing magic and go all carry-on in Feb just to be safe. (Cruise itself is only 4 nights, but I'm doing 3 in Miami before)

I wouldn't worry too much about luggage in the water. Just be sure to pack meds or other critical stuff in your day pack. If you're really concerned you can get the roll up space bags that don't require a vacuum. They would be watertight and allow you to compress your stuff also.

I'm thinking I might just get some space bags for things that can't get wet, like a special dress or leather shoes. If it can be cleaned, maybe just leave well enough alone.

Luggage in the water is very rare, when set off to the total volume of luggage handled, but nonetheless: critical items, like medication, personal care and electonic devices are best carried on. clothing can be replaced easily and who wouldn't want to shop for clothing onboard a DCL ship, when the Mouse is paying???

My Aunt works for the DCL and if a ship is not full they offer the rooms to CM (those who work the reservation desk at the port)for $50 but the kicker is you have to have your luggage with you. She and her DH have taken a few of those $50 cruises.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter