What Would Cause A Cruise Cancelation

Canceling a whole cruise is extremely rare... but some unusual incidents that come to mind:
  • a specific cruise becomes chartered
  • dry dock not completed in the scheduled time
  • very extreme weather conditions (resulting in prior cruise returning late or to wrong port)
  • unexpected maintenance/mechanical issue that can't be resolved with passengers onboard
Under most circumstances, DCL will cruise. They may adjust or completely change itinerary to avoid weather problems. They may perform maintenance or repairs during a cruise, including taking certain areas (i.e. a block of staterooms) out of use. They may have maintenance or repairs conducted during port stops. They may delay departure to complete repairs. I believe there was at least once that departure was delayed and changed to a different port; DCL assisted passengers with the change. But it is quite rare for a cruise to be completely canceled.

Enjoy your cruise!

Damage/maintenance issues that require a looooong time to resolve.

Noro outbreak severe enough to require full-ship sanitizing.

Technically it's not a cancellation per se but a private group/company booking the entire ship would result in existing guests being cancelled.

I suppose theoretically a truly cataclysmic weather event might make them cancel a cruise for safety reasons. But they've played dodgeball with some big hurricanes before.

Low sales... our 2010 Disney 10 night magic NYE cruise was cancelled due to low sales and was converted into 2 5 night Bahama cruise.

Low sales... our 2010 Disney 10 night magic NYE cruise was cancelled due to low sales and was converted into 2 5 night Bahama cruise.
That's what I worry about. We are booked for the 2017 Norwegian fjords and it seems like almost the whole ship is empty.

That's what I worry about. We are booked for the 2017 Norwegian fjords and it seems like almost the whole ship is empty.
Well, according to cruisefish there's only 37% of the categories available. So, it looks like it's doing OK.

They hac
Well, according to cruisefish there's only 37% of the categories available. So, it looks like it's doing OK.

cruisefish is not doing a very good job in detailing the available categories at the moment. I just had a look at the June 4 Norwegian Fjord cruise (I think this is the one the OP is talking about) and it seems that nearly all categories are available. I noticed that when checking how booked out my upcoming cruise on the Fantasy is that the percentage number cruisefish is giving and which categories are available is in no way in sync with what DCL has on their website.

OP, I don't think you need to worry. But this cruise appears to be a good candidate for some last minute deals next year maybe... Very tempting.

If you look here: https://touringplans.com/disney-cruise-line/tools/fare-tracker?utf8=✓&cruise=1289&roomcat=09B&og=8 you can see that the prices have not risen at all since the cruise was announced. So that does indicate slow sales.

Hey we're on one of those cruises next year. I don't think they are going to cancel the Norwegian cruises because of poor sales.

MUN

They hac
think you need to worry. But this cruise appears to be a good candidate for some last minute deals next year maybe... Very tempting.

If you look here: https://touringplans.com/disney-cruise-line/tools/fare-tracker?utf8=✓&cruise=1289&roomcat=09B&og=8 you can see that the prices have not risen at all since the cruise was announced. So that does indicate slow sales.

So, slightly OT, I looked up my January 6, 2017 cruise and saw that the price on that touring plans site has done nothing but go down since opening day... does that mean it is not likely to be full? I'm not worried about cancellation, but I'm curious if it will be a very uncrowded journey.

Noro outbreak severe enough to require full-ship sanitizing.
And even that can be done in half a day: The Wonder was cleaned and sanitized for her WBPC in May this year due to Noro outbreak on the previous cruise. The Ship was cleaned by two independent cleaning companies, one after the other. Boarding was delayed by several hours and so was sail-away (which was delayed more by luggage taking a swim). But we sailed that day and arrived on schedule in our next port. So even that will not mean a cruise will be cancelled.

We have been booked on 2 cruises that were cancelled on us. One for Oct 2005 was cancelled due to dry dock and one for August 2014 was chartered for a DVC cruise. Both times they gave us plenty of notice.

And even that can be done in half a day: The Wonder was cleaned and sanitized for her WBPC in May this year due to Noro outbreak on the previous cruise. The Ship was cleaned by two independent cleaning companies, one after the other. Boarding was delayed by several hours and so was sail-away (which was delayed more by luggage taking a swim). But we sailed that day and arrived on schedule in our next port. So even that will not mean a cruise will be cancelled.

Ok....I'm not a cruiser and just stumbled upon the thread. are you being literal when you say luggage taking a swim? Or is that some cruise lingo?

I'm envisioning a massive cart of luggage rolling off a dock or something. Lol.

Ok....I'm not a cruiser and just stumbled upon the thread. are you being literal when you say luggage taking a swim? Or is that some cruise lingo?

I'm envisioning a massive cart of luggage rolling off a dock or something. Lol.
No, they mean "take a swim". As in it fell off the pallet while loading from the dock to the ship. It happens. Not often, but it does.

No, they mean "take a swim". As in it fell off the pallet while loading from the dock to the ship. It happens. Not often, but it does.

Oh wow! I guess it makes sense that would be a hazard of a cruise vacation. That would be disappointing.

Oh wow! I guess it makes sense that would be a hazard of a cruise vacation. That would be disappointing.
The kicker was the one guy who had packed his prescription meds in his checked bag, that was now floating in the water. They (DCL) allowed time for him to contact his doctor, get refills filled and transported to the ship, before departing. That delayed things a bit, also.

"A bit" is quite an understatement. We enjoyed the actual sail away long after sunset and took pictures of Miami by night!

Good for you.I love people that can make the best of a situation beyond their control. Your probably going to have a longer life than the guy on our return flight coming home from WDW that had an absolute temper tantrum because our flight got delayed two hours. In my head, I was a bit disappointed, but kind of glad I got to surf the Dis for a few more hours. And hey, the airport is still considered vacation in my book. :rotfl:

The luggage in the water had happened several times. Here is a photo of it happening in Miami:

luggage.jpg
It also happened as we disembarked the Wonder in Galveston last year. Thankfully our luggage stayed dry.

Is the luggage in the water a common or rare thing? I was looking at those ziploc space bags today. Should I or shouldn't I? DH will laugh at me and not want to do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter