What we should make sure we pack with a 2 year old

Forgot one that would be extremely important to DD:

14. At least one princess dress/ costume (if your DD is anything like mine- probably more). Leave the fancy shoes at home- you'll see lots of princesses in tennis shoes There are lots of little girls running around in costume and they get lots of special attention. DD got to wear a Cinderella dress our 2nd day to Epcot for the princess character meal. The minute she got a taste of the special attention she got from CMs and other park guests (i.e. (bowing to her) Good morning Cinderella- we are so happy you are here today; Oh Cinderella- you are looking especially beautiful today etc. ;etc.; etc.), she wasn't taking that dress off and she wasn't wearing anything else (except for her Minnie dress 1 day), for the rest of the week.

We have gone to Disney a few times but never with a little one.
OK moms...........
What are the most important (and even not so important ) items we should think about making sure we take with us.

Our daughter is 2 1/2 years old.

Also any tips would be great........:)

PATIENCE!:rotfl2:
Sorry, couldn't pass that up!
Its been a LONG while since we had a little one with us, but I just always had a little snack and drink, small "recognized" toy that child liked, everywhere we went.
have a wonderful time mak'n memories with your family!!!!
OH, my child LOVED that silly train in DTD!

I've heard people use sticky notes... to cover up the sensor on the automatic flush toilets... they can really startle a child!

Heck, they startle me!! :lmao:

my DD was 2 1/2 on our last trip. She has a favorite stuffed animal..."Kitty" that she takes everywhere....we made a point of getting special pictures of kitty at different places in the parks. This became important to her and when she was a little cranky it would get her in a better mood...also because kitty was there, she would easily fall off to sleep in the stroller, no fuss because she had her kitty!! Also, Emmy was afraid of some of the characters...sometimes she didn't want to take a picture with them...but then she wanted kitty to have a picture with the character so she had to hold onto her...we got lots of pictures this way!

also I would suggest lots and lots of wipes! we packed enough to have a new pack each everyday...we would use them to wipe down the tables before we ate as well as for sticky fingers and faces!

have a great time on your trip!!

Tosh

11. I used Body Glide on both our feet every morning before we left for the parks to avoid blisters. We each had our own stick. It worked.

Where do you get this? (like where in the store?) I've never heard of it. But if it will help avoid blisters, I'm all over that!

As for everyone else's suggestions, THANK YOU! We are going in July with a 2 1/2 and 4 1/2 year old. This is awesome information!!

Where do you get this? (like where in the store?) I've never heard of it. But if it will help avoid blisters, I'm all over that!

As for everyone else's suggestions, THANK YOU! We are going in July with a 2 1/2 and 4 1/2 year old. This is awesome information!!

I never heard of it before either. I googled it and the web site came up.

probably not a bad idea to find a walmart nearby where you are staying. To lower your luggage burden, maybe buy some stuff locally rather than carry it and have to pay for luggage.

My DDs were 3.5 and 1.5 on our trip in Dec. 2008.

A nightlight for the hotel room :)

Sippy cups and/or bendable straws for drinks, toddler sized forks/spoons.

I brought my own pack n' play sheet as well (there was a sheet with ours at SSR).

After Halloween I got light up sticks (battery operated ones) and glow sticks super cheap in the after-holiday clearance.

Patience! Just realize that you gotta go with the flow :rotfl2:

I heard about Body Glide here on the Disboards. I blister pretty easily so I decided to give it a try- no blisters the entire week. Academy Sports carries it. They were out around here before our trip, but I finally found it at both our local jogging/runner's store, and our local bicycle stores. I'm pretty sure you can find it on line too.

Bedtime was the hardest for our kids. I always packed their pillowcase to slip over the pillow at the resort to help it feel more like home. Anything else that is needed in the course of your usual bedtime routine is essential.

If you are renting a Disney stroller, the plastic can get warm, so we put a light color towel down for the kids to sit on so they weren't directly on the plastic. Also, something colorful to tie onto it so it stands out of the see of similar strollers.

Sunscreen that is approved by your pediatrician-and plenty of it!

A small penlight for darker attractions can help ease the fear of the dark and not interfere with other guests.

For those also bringing older kids, take a photo at the start of the day so you remember exactly what they are wearing in case you get separated.

Have fun, and let your child guide your schedule. Don't forgo an afternoon nap to get through a few more attractions if your child is wearing out. No one will have a good time then.

Don't forget to take those pictures!!!!

There are some great ideas here...thanks! I am a bit paranoid of leaving a stroller unattended so i might also be removing a wheel from the stroller....i know i need to get over it.

for downpours. Some people use a poncho.

Sunglasses in your child's size or a hat with a big brim.

Super absorbant swim towel. They are about 12inches and absorb lots of water. They are great after the kid's fountain play.

Swim mask and swim shoes for pool time.

We didn't have one but people had those clip on stroller fans. Those strollers can get mighty hot, especially since so many of them are black now.

I love all the great ideas on here. We have gone to disney a few times but never with a toddler... funny how all the planning changes!!!! I LOVE it!!!:cool1:

Our sunshade for the stroller was the best thing we could have for the parks. It ties on easy and folds down into a small circle once the sun is down or just for storage. We've tied it to our infant carrier, big stroller, and the umbrella stroller. I got it at Buy Buy Baby for $25 2 summers ago. The brand is Protect-a-Bub.

ImportedPhotos00147.jpg

Don't mind me enjoying a snack at the Food and Wine Festival!

You can never pack too many wipies. We used them for everything from hands, cups, table tops, rides, and spills. We buy ours at Costco and stuff a whole package in our diaper bag at the start of the day. We also brought a few packages of take-n-toss toddler silverware so we didn't have to hunt down spoons at feeding time (you can even get them at Dollar Tree now).

I'm also a big fan of the SnackTrap which we loop to the stroller with a Mommy's Helper (like a tether with velcro on the ends) which of course also work great with sippy cups and toys.

We also packed our shopping cart/high chair cover. It may seem like one more crazy thing to take but the high chairs are so dirty sometimes. I love knowing DS has a clean place to sit and eat. I got mine at a resale for $5 and if folds up nice and small.

Awesome thread! We are planning on taking DD for her 2nd Birthday this Sept to Oct.

I have a question. We have a Graco Quattro Tour and a Maclarent Quest stroller. They both recline but only the Graco goes completely flat. It is obviously bigger. Which stroller do you think would be better to take? We always use Disney transportation and the Graco is pretty big heavy but the Mac doesn't hold as much stuff. I do however have a saddle bag for the mac which helps.

We took our Mac and it was fine. Between the 2, I would say the Mac would be much easier on Disney transportation. You will have to fold the stroller up on the buses, and it can get quite crowded on the bus. I saw people with bigger stollers having some trouble. As for the amount of stuff it holds, remember whatever you put in it, you have to drag out and carry yourself when you get on the bus. :) We had plenty of room in the Mac basket for what we wanted to take into the parks. Of course, we always wound up coming back with more than we had when we left! :laughing:

If you bring non disposable sippy cups or if your little one still uses a bottle make sure you bring some dish detergent and a bottle brush.

Most of these are repeats.....we've taken DD several times and we're going again next week for her 3rd birthday.

Lots of wipes
Tabletop sticky placemats
Bottled water (so much cheaper to bring it in)
Stickers/snacks for standing in line
Extra clothes/shoes (more bottoms/undies if there are PT issues like we have)
Sunscreen & hat
Comfort item (DD has to sleep w/ her lovey so we bring it so she can nap in the stroller)
Jacket/sweater
Camera w/ extra batteries

Also, I would highly reccomend getting ADRs for lunch. It's a nice way to relax & regroup in the middle of the day.

Go to Dumbo first. :) Since kids can see this ride (unlike Small World/Peter Pan etc) they WILL want to go on it. The earlier you get there, the shorter the line.

Bring medicine for the hotel, but know that you can get children's motrin at the First Aid Center for free.

Have fun!! 2 1/2 is a great age to go to Disney! :)

7. Another lifesaver was a fold up potty seat (they are about $8 and fold into 1/4 and come with their own ziplock bag). DD won't sit on an adult potty seat, but would go as long as we had the fold up. Because I'm a bit of a germaphobe I got one to stay in the hotel room and a separate one to drag around for the airport and the parks. She had no accidents the entire time we were there, and had just potty trained herself 3 weeks before the trip.

Where did you find one of these? And, if you don't mind me asking, how old was your daughter? We are trying very hard to potty train DS right now (somewhat successfully for a start) but he's still not trained himself to tell us when he needs to go...more of an "okay, it's time to use the potty again M***" but we're hoping that by the time our trip comes we'll be good. Did you do anything to help her along?

Sorry to have hijacked the thread and go :offtopic: but I am looking for suggestions from anyone who has potty trained before Disney!

Back on topic, these are great ideas. I'm subscribing so I can print this out to help with my packing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter