What was your best upgrade?

Jennasis

DIS life goes on
So you maybe paid for the least expensive standard view "couldn't-care-less-if-I-stare-at-the-parking-lot" room, and lo and behold, those magical CM sprinkled your trip with some pixie dust and you got an upgrade. So tell us about the best upgrade you ever got. If you can remember, feel free to post the savings as well (ex. we payed $179 for a std view at AKL and got upgraded to a deluxe savannah view concierge room!...not that that ever happened to me!)

I travelled to WDW with my dh, ds (almost 3), DMom, and DMIL, and we stayed for a few nights over at the Swan (dh had a conference there). We then moved over to the Contemporary, where I reserved 2 garden wing rooms (requested that they be connecting so that moms could keep an eye on the boy if dh and I wanted to go out in the evening).

Anyway, we check out of the Swan and go to the CR desk to check in early on Sunday, figuring that there was no room ready, but we would leave our bags and head to the parks. MIL was going to visit a friend in the area and would be back later.

I step up, give the CM my name and information. She starts clicking the computer keys, click, click, click, then says "Oh, Mrs. S, I just wanted to let you know that we'll be upgrading you today from 2 garden wing rooms to....a 2 bedroom suite on THE CONCIERGE FLOOR." Well, you can imagine my surprise and shock at this. I start kicking dh under the counter, trying to maintain my cool the whole time, thanking her very much for this. Of course, she tells me that our rate will be the same as the cost of the 2 original rooms. We get a card with the number to call later on to see if the room is ready, and I leave a note that MIL will be arriving before us and will they please give her a room key when she arrives.

She ends up calling us later on at the parks, saying she's up on the 14th floor in a room bigger than the place dh and I were living in at the time. 2 huge bedrooms, 3 full bathrooms, living room, dining room, small kitchenette and 4 balconies. TVs, VCR, you name it. Plus all the offerings from the lounge.

I remember at the time I picked up a price sheet from the front, and the cost of the suite we were given was probably3-4 times what we were paying for our original 2 rooms. I've had wonderful times and great service since, but I've never had something like that happen ever.

So people, there is hope for the big upgrade out there. You never know when you'll have a handfull of pixie dust sprinkled on your trip.

My best upgrade was our stay in August, 2004 when my DH and I were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and I had booked a standard room at the Swan but received an upgrade to a Grand Suite with club level privileges and an Epcot view for $119.00 a night!!

I had reserved a standard room at Boardwalk Villas for 1 night back in January to be within walking distance to the Studios for the Walk-In and Win at Millionare. When I checked in the person at the desk didn't mention anything, just checked me in and gave me my room number. When I got there I started setting my stuff down and then realized I had a 1 bedroom villa!! with Hot Tub!!! I was planning on spending some time in the parks that evening, but needless to say, I just went over to Epcot to have a quick dinner at Akershus and then back to the villa to enjoy that room!!!! Got some bubble bath and spent most of the evening in that hot tub till I was all wrinkled!!! I didn't get to enjoy it for long though. Got up at 4:30 to walk over to the Studios for the Millionaire thing. Didn't make it on the show, but had fun seeing the Studios before it opened and all the excitement while the numbers were called for those that did make it to the show. Since I didn't get picked, I had time to go back to the villa for one more soak in the tub before checkout at 11am :-)

I think I paid $218 for the Studio (passholder rate). According to AllEars.net, a 1 bedroom Villa is $400 during Value Season.

Carol

Booked into CR for a business conference, Sept of '03.
It was supposed to be a basic Garden Wing room at the corporate rate. I know that's what everyone else at the conference ended up with.
At check-in the CM behind the desk said "I see we have you booked into a tower room - do you prefer a water view or a view of the Magic Kingdom". I tried to stay composed and give him the "of course I'm in the tower, where else would I be?" look, and calmly said that I prefered a Kingdom view if it was available and not too much trouble.
10 minutes later I'm standing on the balcony of my room the 10th floor looking out at the Magic Kingom.
The company picked up the tab for the "business" portion of the stay, but I stayed a few days longer so my wife could join me for a quick get away. The folks at CR gave me the corporate rate for the personal part of my stay as well, about $130 per night!
Each day after the conference was over everyone would head for the garden wing and I'd turn the other way, up the elevators to my room in the tower. I'm guessing that my name was in the reservation computer from all of my previous visits (15 or so at that time) so I got flagged for a little special treatment.

In 2002 we booked the CBR. Two weeks after I payed a deposit, WDW announced a rehab for the resort for the dates we were to be there. Our TA said she could book another mod. right now, or we could wait for Disney to call us. About a month later we were upgraded to the AKL savannah view for $12 for the whole week, where they come up with $12 I don't know but I was happy to pay it. :cool1:

Our best upgrade was at the Swan in June 2003. We had a resort room view booked with club level priviledges. On our first night to make a long long story short we had many problems. The next night we were upgraded from our room to a corner swan studio that overlooked Epcot for 11 nights. It was absolutely awesome especially since we could never afford a room like that. :)

Our best upgrade was this past January when we stayed at the GF to celebrate my dd's birthday. I payed and AP rate for a GV room at the GF. When we got there they had it noted that it was my dd's 9th birthday and they upgraded us to a lagoon view of the castle. It was great! :sunny:

Ours was at the YC, we checked in, our room wasn't ready, so we went about our day. We paid for a standard view, and when our room was ready, we were standing at the desk as the CM was explaining that you need to use a key to get to the fifth floor. I was still not really getting it. We ended up with an amazing lagoon view, Epcot, Boardwalk view. Room 5177. Concierge. It was awesome!!!!

This past June we reserved a standard view room (with AP discount) at the YC.

When we arrived at the hotel (at 9 am) we were told that our room was ready. As if this wasn't enough of a surprise, we were upgraded to a room directly overlooking the marina!!

We had a wonderful view of the entire Epcot area. It was so nice to sit out on our balcony and see the boardwalk (especially at night when everything was all lit up). But best yet was our awesome view of the Epcot fireworks. On a couple of nights there were also "special event" fireworks at the Studios that we could see from our balcony.

I cannot describe how happy we were with our room!!!

:earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy: :dog: :dog: :dog:

Wow! You guys have had some great upgrades. I would LOVE an upgrade at the Poly in September but I'm definitely not planning on it. I'm just happy to be at Poly.

We've had 2 good ones. First was an upgrade from a couryard view at WL with an AP rate back in 11/01 to a concierge room. It was our very first experience with concierge and spoiled us for life!

The other was I had a fantastic AP rate at WL and when we went to check in they asked us if we'd like an upgrade - to a castle view room at the GF. Of course we took it!

Well this was on a Disney Cruise, so does this count? We paid for a deluxe inside stateroom, and they gave us an oceanview stateroom :banana: :banana:
(I guess they ran out of inside staterooms?)

Anyone ever upgraded to a different hotel? For example, from a Value to a Moderate, or a Moderate to a Deluxe? Do they ever do this?

In June 2005, we were booked for a standard view room at CBR. We checked in, and to our supprise, we were upgraded to "Waterview Prefered Room". All in all, that was about a $45 a night upgrade....

Has anyone ever been upgraded from anything but a standard room? I have booked a waterview room at CSR for my DH and I for our 25th anniversary and my birthday for the week of Feb 25-March 4th. I really wanted a waterview room so I didn't book standard. Wonder what the odds are of us being upgraded even further. (Not that it matters but..... :rolleyes: )

Make sure the hotel knows you are celebrating something special and you never know! That is how it happened for us last year. I mentioned the fact that we were celebrating our 25th and management from the Swan called me and asked my permission to change my reservation because they wanted to give us a surprise. I couldn't wait for our arrival to see what that surprise was and it was the Grand Suite!!! My teenage boys had their own room, our room was a king room and then the oversized dining area, living room and wet bar! It was wonderful!!
Of course it also depends on the staff and those at the Swan are great!!!

We've been fortunate to have several.

Our best had to be our upgrade to the Newport Suite at the BC.

:banana:

I told my TA about our events and she said she let them know when she booked for us. Maybe some Disney magic will come our way! :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter