What to tip at Palo's?

the service charge covers the tip. IF you wish to tip over and above, you may( we tossed in an extra $20)

What should a party of 2 tip at Palo's?
You'll likely get plenty of opinions, but I'd suggest tipping based not only on how special you feel the service and experience is but also how you approach the meal. If you sample only one dish each from appetizers, entrees, and desserts you might tip far differently than if you sample most of the menu (thus, requiring more attention). The exact amount depends on what you feel the meal is worth. Enjoy! :thumbsup2

the service charge covers the tip. IF you wish to tip over and above, you may( we tossed in an extra $20)

This is a widely debated topic, but we have asked the Dining Manager on the Wonder very specifically and were told that a VERY small percentage of the service charge goes to the server. We tried to get more a more specific answer and were told "a few dollars of it."

We figure out in our mind what the meal would cost us and tip 20% of that. If we are overtipping, we don't care. They work so hard and give such amazing service. It doesn't hurt us and it means a lot to the staff.

- Dreams

Well I remember how unconfortable it was when we were dining in Chops on RCCL. I am happy to tip what is expected and more worried it wasn't enough. It is the unknown. I guess Palo is $35 per person. At least that is what I heard. So that is $70. Do you base 20% on the $70? A $20 tip seems like too much but I don't know.

On Disney Magic, it's $20 charged, per person for brunch or dinner. So $40*20%= $8.00. So a $20 tip is 50%. :confused::confused:

This is a widely debated topic, but we have asked the Dining Manager on the Wonder very specifically and were told that a VERY small percentage of the service charge goes to the server. We tried to get more a more specific answer and were told "a few dollars of it."

We figure out in our mind what the meal would cost us and tip 20% of that. If we are overtipping, we don't care. They work so hard and give such amazing service. It doesn't hurt us and it means a lot to the staff.

- Dreams

I THINK it is $5. a comparable meal for the two of us in a similar higher end joint we'd tip between $20 and $30 for the pair of us. so we do what you do and tip what we would have tipped shoreside.

Our Server was a lovely young lady from Georgia( and NOT the Peach state) who brought us a few 'extras' to try without us even asking( damn Grape pizza was my undoing! I could have eaten that all night with no regrets about skipping the rest of the meal) Her wine pair recommendation was spot on and she took the time to chat with ALL of her tables for a few minutes each time she came by. she well deserved the tip we gave her that was clinched during coffee.. there was a Pod of dolphins frolicking just outside the windows . we all of course gathered 'round to watch Flipper and his pals. and when we returned to our tables she had removed our now cold coffee cups and replaced them with new clean ones and poured us a new batch.

Our Server was a lovely young lady from Georgia( and NOT the Peach state) who brought us a few 'extras' to try without us even asking( damn Grape pizza was my undoing! I could have eaten that all night with no regrets about skipping the rest of the meal) .

You had me at 'grape pizza'! Who knew that blue cheese and grapes belonged on a pizza? Can't wait to have that again in two weeks!!! :goodvibes

On Disney Magic, it's $20 charged, per person for brunch or dinner. So $40*20%= $8.00. So a $20 tip is 50%. :confused::confused:

I hear you, 50% looks too much right?

Well, consider how much you'd be paying for the meal you are getting if in a real nice restaurant on land, more than $40's worth right?

Then consider the extras you get at Palo, being able to order multiple items to try.

Then consider the service from these folks who I am told get paid very little if anything of a salary. They rely on your tips.

If they treated you very well, and you are on vacation, on a wonderful cruise, treating yourselves very well, don't over think the % you are giving as a tip. If they treat you very well, treat them very well in return. Carma baby :)

Just my 2 cents.

Eric

The charge at Palo is $20 per person for brunch or dinner. It is $10 per person for tea. Of the $20 charge, $4 goes to the server and $1 goes to the dining room manager. $15 goes to DCL to cover their costs.

If you order any bar items, the 15% automatic gratuity is applied before you see the bill.

Most people add something extra to the $20, although according to DCL this is not required. That said, I add $10 per person at a meal, $5 per person at tea.

We tipped our Palo server (Anne Marie) on the Magic $20 for brunch. She was great! She seemed very happy with the tip and told us to ask for her as our server the next time we dine @ Palo. :goodvibes

We usually tip 20 at brunch and 35 at dinner...just seems right to us. They always seem happy.

not necessarily, Silverfox. like has been stated Disney states that the gratuity is part of the fee so no one is in any way obligated to go above that(unless they buy alcohol)

We tip $5 extra for each of us on top of the $20 charge. Guess we are cheap :confused:

I agree. If I'm lucky enough to get brunch reservations that's what I plan to tip. I also plan to put extra cash (in addition to the suggested amount) in the envelopes of the restaurant servers and room steward.

We usually just tip the same again the fee that we're charged. So, for 2 people, paying a $20 fee each, we tip $40. Is that too much? We feel the food and service is amazing and, for a meal like that elsewhere, we'd be paying about $150 or so.

The charge at Palo is $20 per person for brunch or dinner. It is $10 per person for tea. Of the $20 charge, $4 goes to the server and $1 goes to the dining room manager. $15 goes to DCL to cover their costs.

If you order any bar items, the 15% automatic gratuity is applied before you see the bill.

Most people add something extra to the $20, although according to DCL this is not required. That said, I add $10 per person at a meal, $5 per person at tea.

I have not been able to confirm this break down. This is the response I got when I specifically asked DCL in an email what the breakdown was.

Thank you for choosing a Disney Cruise Line vacation!

I would be happy to assist you.

As far as the specific breakdown for the gratuity at Palo or Remy, this is not communicated. Each Guest will be charged $20.00 for Palo and $75.00 for Remy. Please be assured, the servers will receive their gratuities from the cost of the dining experience.

However, if you want to leave an additional amount, you may do so. The additional amount is up to you.

I hope this information has been helpful. If you require further assistance in planning your visit, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

Wilma
Email Guest Services
Disney Cruise Line

My point is not to get out of tipping but to know just how much I am tipping so I can adjust to what I feel is correct.

We usually just tip the same again the fee that we're charged. So, for 2 people, paying a $20 fee each, we tip $40. Is that too much? We feel the food and service is amazing and, for a meal like that elsewhere, we'd be paying about $150 or so.

This is exactly my problem. $40 tip to me with out acohol seems excessive. I don't want to feel like the server feels slighted by only getting $20 tip when the last table he got $40. I guess the majority says $20 so I'll go with that. :confused3

Wadekind--I know the info can't be confirmed directly from DCL. This is the info I've been able to get from various servers. Some are very closed mouthed, others will tell guests quite a bit. I've also gone as far as to ask what they consider a "good" tip to one server we trusted. The response was that anything over $5 per person was good.

As others have noted, you also get a feeling based on the server's response to the tip; when they suggest that you ask for them next time, you get the impression that they are pleased.

Also, the tip that is part of the charge is divided among all the servers, the automatic gratuity for bar purchases is divided among those workers. Any additional tip left goes directly to the person who actually served you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter