What to Pack?

Carl4628

Mouseketeer
Traveling to DL from the east coast on March 11-17. The weather looks like a high of around 70 and low of around 50. Any tips on what to pack (to wear) for this kind of weather?

Layers! If you are an east coaster, you might rejoice in the 50 degree mornings, but you'll see people bundled up. It can be chilly early in the AM and when the sun goes down. I normally wear jeans/leggings, a short sleeved top, and a fleece jacket. Also, it is quite common to have a day with a 70 degree high, followed by an 80 or 85 degree high, so I'd keep an eye on it, and pack a variety of options.

Bring a reusable water bottle with you. Our weather on this coast is dryer, and you'll save a lot of money (and the planet) by not buying a bunch of plastic bottles. Also bring at least one rechargeable battery pack for your phone.

We went around the middle of March 2 years ago and it was cold! Layers and scarves and gloves, oh and it rained almost everyday so a poncho, which helps keep you warm :-)

I'd also recommend bringing gloves. The wind effect on some outdoor rides can be pretty nasty when the temperature dips, and many people may be covered up except for the hands.

I understand that in many other parts of the country, amusement parks tend to close down completely until April or May.

Start checking the local (Anaheim) weather report the week before your trip dates (e.g. abc7.com). Also be checking this board for threads on any weird weather in the parks. For example, over Thanksgiving last year, a serious winter storm came through. It was forecast over a week ahead of time on all the major news outlets. There were several threads going on this board with updates and tips on how to deal with the storm (it was major!) and how to dress appropriately for all day in the parks in severe weather. Arriving DISers knew what to expect and how to prepare because of those threads! Other than that, as pp have said, layers will be your friend. If you will be seeing any nighttime entertainment (e.g. F! and WOC), bring warmer clothes for that. It can get surprisingly chilly in the viewing areas while you wait by the water at night. If your luggage has room, bring at least 2 pairs of shoes so that you can switch off. Some people switch each day (during the mid-day break), others switch every other day. This will help prevent pressure points and blisters. Bring good supportive, moisture wicking socks, too!

We go often during mid March, and we've found the weather is unpredictable! Last year we nearly froze to death, but other year's it's been very comfortable. We've encountered a little rain every year, so be prepared for that, but really I would wait to make any packing decisions until a week before when you see the forecast.

We bring jackets to the park and wear them until mid morning or whenever we get warm. Then we get a locker and stuff all the jackets in. Before dinnertime, we do any souvenir shopping while it's not too busy, then stuff the souvenirs in the lockers after removing the jackets. I would rather pay $10 for a locker than replace a lost sweatshirt or lug sweatshirts around all day. This has worked for us any time we don't have a hotel onsite.

My packing rule for vacations is to pack like I think the weather will be, but put in at least one outfit for the opposite weather -- i.e. a sweatshirt and long pants for a tropical vacation, a pair of shorts for a cooler weather trip, etc. If you travel for more than a couple days the weather changes, plus the temps in hotel rooms, airports, etc.

PHXscuba

For clothing, layers. Think about either stopping at Target and picking up a few cases of water, a bottle or two of sunblock, lip balm with sunscreen, and lots of money and/or Disney gift cards.

I definitely recommend checking the weather and planning closer to the date. I think what you are looking at would be the averages at best. I have gone before in March and even January when it was very hot and shorts weather into the nighttime. However, it was freezing last year when I went in May (which I am sure is warmer on average then March).

I definitely recommend checking the weather and planning closer to the date. I think what you are looking at would be the averages at best. I have gone before in March and even January when it was very hot and shorts weather into the nighttime. However, it was freezing last year when I went in May (which I am sure is warmer on average then March).

Absolutely. I remember around Thanksgiving 2012 it was tank top and shorts weather. I've been in summer when it was actually quite nice and not too hot. The only think we can rely on is that they call it "weather" for a reason.

It’s happened to me a couple times where I’ll feel warm and comfortable in the morning and forget my coat back in the room. Then by early evening, it becomes chillier than I expected and I’m wishing I brought one.

Nothing wrong with packing layers in a small bag and dumping it off at a locker for the day until you need it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter