What to Expect on a DVC tour

kbvancouver

Earning My Ears
Hi. We are staying in a 2 bedroom suite at the Beach Club Villas in December 2015 using points we rented from a DVC member. I would be really interested in touring the DVC while we're there to get more information. But, and this is a BIG but, we don't want to spend 1/2 of a day of our vacation on the tour. The problem is that we own a timeshare in Mexico. If anyone has ever been on a timeshare presentation in Mexico, you know what a time consuming hassle it can be.

If you've recently been through a DVC presentation on site at Disney World, can you share your experience with me? About how long did it take?

Thanks!

Kim

i recommend doing your homework here on the DIS. do searches to learn more about how DVC works and read random threads to learn what current owners think and consider how those issues might affect you (or not). unless you intend to buy at the poly, 99% of posters will tell you to buy resale instead of direct since it is much cheaper (we even had a retired DVC guide come on a month or 2 back and admit he would only buy resale.)

DVC salespeople are relatively honest but there have been instances where their bias (they get paid if you buy direct and get nothing if you don't) results in misleading statements.

i own 2 timeshares and have never bothered with a sales tour. but with that being said, DVC tours have the reputation that they will work with you to stay within a reasonable time limit and don't pull the hard sell like some timeshares do.

they will only show you models of what is currently for sale on the tour.

there is a BWV model that is open on the boardwalk so you could easily walk over and check that out. but DVC will not tour you through the older resorts.

DVC sales presentations are considered low key compared to other timeshare sales presentations.

They will give you drink and cookies, be your best friend, show you a movie and make you feel bad that you didn't buy before now.

They will show you the room models currently being pushed and give you a overview of how the DVC works, most info accurate, some not.

Expect to take 2 hours.

Do not buy until you spend some time reading the DVC threads here on the DIS and asking specific questions related to you.

:earsboy: Bill

Hi. We are staying in a 2 bedroom suite at the Beach Club Villas in December 2015 using points we rented from a DVC member. I would be really interested in touring the DVC while we're there to get more information. But, and this is a BIG but, we don't want to spend 1/2 of a day of our vacation on the tour. The problem is that we own a timeshare in Mexico. If anyone has ever been on a timeshare presentation in Mexico, you know what a time consuming hassle it can be.

If you've recently been through a DVC presentation on site at Disney World, can you share your experience with me? About how long did it take?

Thanks!

Kim
Why do you want to go on the tour? Do you just want to see the rooms? Walk over to the Boardwalk to tour a room there. If you're eating at Grand Floridian, Kidani, or Bay Lake Tower, ask to tour a room there. If you want to see a model of Aulani or the Poly, go on the tour.

Why do you want to go on the tour? Do you just want to see the rooms? Walk over to the Boardwalk to tour a room there. If you're eating at Grand Floridian, Kidani, or Bay Lake Tower, ask to tour a room there. If you want to see a model of Aulani or the Poly, go on the tour.

Last month we did the tour. It took a couple of hours. We received $100 gift card and 3 fastpasses each. A special invitation was in our room at CR club level for the $100 offer. I don't know how
We were chosen, but you could ask.

Also when you take the tour they will pick you up anywhere on property and return you to any where.

Thanks everyone for the replies...I really appreciate them. Yes, I would like to see the different rooms available at Disney. I didn't realize that you could just drop in and ask to see a room. Because I don't want to spend a lot of time on a formal tour, that sounds like the best option for me.

As far as buying, no, we won't be buying on this trip. I want to take the week, stay in the unit and see how things work out. If we decide we like it, I will take a lot of time to do my research.

Kim

Thanks everyone for the replies...I really appreciate them. Yes, I would like to see the different rooms available at Disney. I didn't realize that you could just drop in and ask to see a room.

there is a BWV model for anyone to drop in and see.

for other resorts, you can go to the lobby and ask to see an empty villa. if they have a person available and an empty villa they can show you, they are typically happy to try to accommodate you. but do keep in mind that the lobby personnel are not compensated by DVC, so it's more of an unofficial kinda thing...they might be too busy or not have anything to show you, so keep that in mind...

Thanks everyone for the replies...I really appreciate them. Yes, I would like to see the different rooms available at Disney. I didn't realize that you could just drop in and ask to see a room. Because I don't want to spend a lot of time on a formal tour, that sounds like the best option for me.
DVD maintains a model two bedroom lockoff at AKV (Kidani), BLT, BWV, and VGF. You can ask at the DVD desk at these resorts to see that room. They have model rooms of Aulani, Poly, and VGF at the SSR sales center. They also have a model Grand Villa at SSR. Since you aren't a member, they'll probably make you do a full tour to view those rooms. There aren't any models available at OKW, VWL, or BCV, but you're staying at BCV, so that should help.

Always felt welcome at the DVC presentations. Been to a couple at WDW and a few on DCL I'm sure they had me flagged as someone who was never going to buy. And for the most part they were right. Even still, they always treated me well and answered any questions that I had. Since I had long ago done a great deal of research on DVC, I'd be able to sniff BS a mile away. On our last meeting with a DVC guide, I was actually ready to sign on the dotted line. Problem is, Disney had increased prices a great deal since the last time that I had looked into DVC (I was somewhat prepared for a higher price but did not expect $160 pp) and did not realize that the financing options through Disney was so poor. I mean really! The whole reason to carry your own paper is to make it easier for people to buy your product not harder and more expensive. Well, I walked away from that one again. And told my wife we were going resale.

I've done the tour in their model facility and in a room at the Grand. I'd say they're very relaxed and low pressure. Def a couple hours. We scheduled for just after lunch when we had time between FastPasses, a bit sad to lose park time, but I felt like I had am much better idea of what I would be buying into.

We were at AKV until yesterday with friends and they wanted to do the tour. We arranged it in the Kidani lobby and they were able to do an open house at Kidani. The whole thing took about an hour and a half, but they had questions they wanted to ask, so it could be shorter.

One interesting omission - the guide pushed Grand Floridian as 'the only club available for sale', and never mentioned Poly, or that legacy resorts could also be bought. I had heard they pushed what was being sold, but the Poly omission kinda threw me.

Thanks!

Kim

We were at AKV until yesterday with friends and they wanted to do the tour. We arranged it in the Kidani lobby and they were able to do an open house at Kidani. The whole thing took about an hour and a half, but they had questions they wanted to ask, so it could be shorter.

One interesting omission - the guide pushed Grand Floridian as 'the only club available for sale', and never mentioned Poly, or that legacy resorts could also be bought. I had heard they pushed what was being sold, but the Poly omission kinda threw me.

They always push the resorts that have been for sale for awhile. They either want to recover construction money or get projects off of the books or both.

We went through the presentation in mid-February. It took about two hours all told, and as a pp mentioned, you can be picked up/dropped off from pretty much anywhere. We were treated to lemonade and snacks, some probing questions by our salesperson, and then led to visit the models there at SSR. Afterwards, we went back over to a pretty standard sales office, and the salesperson led us through some slides. He gave off a seriously snarky vibe about people who "rent" hotel rooms vs those who buy DVC. He also managed to spill a soda all over our daughter when he pushed a sales packet carelessly across the table... and never actually apologized for it either.

We didn't buy, mostly because I wanted to come home and discuss the tax ramifications with our CPA. I had the money - what he didn't know was that I could have written him a check right there for the entire amount had I decided to - but his attitude (and the lack of a simple apology for his carelessness) left me cold, and my checkbook in my purse.

At the conclusion of the meeting (when it became apparent that I wasn't going to buy right then) he shoved everything into a nice little re-useable shopping tote. As we were leaving, there was another family, who simply by coincidence, was from our city. He pointed out very quickly that OBVIOUSLY they had made the "smart" decision to buy, as they had the fancier tote bag LOL.

We did enjoy the free ice cream sundae that they offered in the ice cream parlor while we waited for our DVC driver.

Will we buy in the future? Not sure. I'm going to spend some time around here, and do my due diligence both here and elsewhere.

We went through the presentation in mid-February. It took about two hours all told, and as a pp mentioned, you can be picked up/dropped off from pretty much anywhere. We were treated to lemonade and snacks, some probing questions by our salesperson, and then led to visit the models there at SSR. Afterwards, we went back over to a pretty standard sales office, and the salesperson led us through some slides. He gave off a seriously snarky vibe about people who "rent" hotel rooms vs those who buy DVC. He also managed to spill a soda all over our daughter when he pushed a sales packet carelessly across the table... and never actually apologized for it either.

We didn't buy, mostly because I wanted to come home and discuss the tax ramifications with our CPA. I had the money - what he didn't know was that I could have written him a check right there for the entire amount had I decided to - but his attitude (and the lack of a simple apology for his carelessness) left me cold, and my checkbook in my purse.

At the conclusion of the meeting (when it became apparent that I wasn't going to buy right then) he shoved everything into a nice little re-useable shopping tote. As we were leaving, there was another family, who simply by coincidence, was from our city. He pointed out very quickly that OBVIOUSLY they had made the "smart" decision to buy, as they had the fancier tote bag LOL.

We did enjoy the free ice cream sundae that they offered in the ice cream parlor while we waited for our DVC driver.

Will we buy in the future? Not sure. I'm going to spend some time around here, and do my due diligence both here and elsewhere.

DVC guides are just sales people. Each has their own way about themselves, some more professional than others. Bottom line is that you will save money buying resale if DVC is a good fit. For me the negative about ownership is that DVC is in control to make all of the decisions, rules, and policies and they don't seem to be in the owners best interest.

It has been a very long time since we "took the tour" prior to buying DVC. What I recall was my complete, absolute shock at the low, no, make that NO pressure sales pitch. We toured the rooms, went over the financials, kids got ice cream and then...NOTHING. Our sales rep (who was WONDERFUL), didn't even ask, not once, if we wanted to buy. Just ended the presentation with thank yous.
I was, quite literally floored. I had to, quite animatedly, start the conversation: "Aren't you even going to ask us if we want to buy?"
She simply said, "No, I really don't generally do that. You see, the place sells itself"
And she was right. We bought on the spot, and have never looked back, never had one regret. We are experiencing some of the best family vacations imaginable at WDW because of or purchase of DVC.
Good luck with your tour.

Last month we did the tour. It took a couple of hours. We received $100 gift card and 3 fastpasses each. A special invitation was in our room at CR club level for the $100 offer. I don't know how
We were chosen, but you could ask.

Also when you take the tour they will pick you up anywhere on property and return you to any where.

So normally there isn't an incentive to take the tour? I may call and ask

When we took the tour we got a huge pile of any ride anytime fastpasses! It was awesome...we ended up buying resale but found the tour informative and helpful.

The Disney tour is great. They kept the kids busy so we could focus on the product. Was very low pressure. which they can do with a product that sells itself. I have also sat through Marriott's presentation. Not as bad as those low budget timeshares that try to lock you in a room until you buy, but Disney was awesome.

Just did the open house and bought yesterday. Will say no pressure at all and really felt no pressure at all. They did give use three fast passes for each member of my family. It was great we already had three booked prior and then got three more so we had a total of six for the day. We had early in our stay received a envlope under our door for a 100 gift card to take the tour so we got that as well. It's no preassure at all. Nice time about two hours. Great to ask a lot of questions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter