• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What to do with my dog while on vacation?

Our first long trip away was also the first time we used a kennel instead of a neighbor or relative. I went a little crazy at first (we have one super-shy clingy dog and one bossy mouthy dog, I was worried), but our dogs walked in like they owned the place. They shared a "room", they got lots of outdoor time and a couple of baths, the kennel shared their pictures on Facebook so we could see them not missing us. And this way I didn't feel like I was imposing on anyone. I just found it via Google and then did some background research.

Ask your groomer. Ours pet sits and since she grooms them every month, they know her. Your house is protected, no need to stop the mail and packages are brought in. No kennel risks and your dog will be comfortably at home.

We use a collage age kid for a pet sitter. He started out as a vet major and truly loves our girl. He either stays here or comes like every 3-4 hours and feeds and plays with her and takes her out. He will come and turn the TV on for her and puts her to bed in my bed at bedtime. Yes she is spoiled. She is not crated and would truly not be ok in a Kennel.Our last dog we had for 15 years stayed at my in-laws but this dog is young and has a bit too much energy for them. We do travel with our dog some too but only if we are going to someones home, or a place she can stay with us and be with us most of the time.

Our Vet has Vet Techs that are willing, as a side job, to take care of pets in the owners home. Can you ask them ? If not maybe they can recommend someone.

Wow. Guessing/hoping you don't own a dog.

We used to, but old age caught up to her. We discovered having a dog is like having a perpetual 2 year old. If I get a dog again, it will be once I'm retired, so there's somebody home most of the time instead of having the dog alone 8 hours a day to mess up the house.

We have cats, though. Cats are like having perpetual teenagers.

We have 3 dogs, a parrot and a rabbit so budget wise, boarding them is out of the question. We always have a family member (usually one of my husband's nephews) house sit when we go on vacation. I make sure the freezer and fridge are well stocked (favorite beer included) and everyone is happy!

The dog won't think anything. It will whine for a while and then get used to being wherever it is. I doubt it understands the idea of abandonment.

Our dog gets bad separation anxiety; we've boarded him at a variety of nice places where he gets to play all day and then goes into a cage for bedtime. No matter where he goes, he ALWAYS leaves with hives. The vet says it's a stress reaction.

As a result, he now stays with my parents and is only boarded when we are all going somewhere together. I've heard great things about DogVacay though!

We used to, but old age caught up to her. We discovered having a dog is like having a perpetual 2 year old. If I get a dog again, it will be once I'm retired, so there's somebody home most of the time instead of having the dog alone 8 hours a day to mess up the house.

So true - they are like little kids for sure! :laughing: I hate leaving my dog but she mostly sleeps all morning and I often let her stay in the yard for the afternoon after I've come home to check on her at lunch. I loved the idea of doggy daycare so she wasn't alone but unfortunately she was ALWAYS sick from going there.

We have cats, though. Cats are like having perpetual teenagers.

I have two cats also and they annoy the crap out of me the majority of the time... always running right under my feet, meowing to be let out only to throw a fit two minutes later because they want back in. And then there's the litter box. The only upside is that I can leave them alone for a long weekend with a self waterer and self feeder plus a freshly cleaned litter box and they are good to go.

The dog won't think anything. It will whine for a while and then get used to being wherever it is. I doubt it understands the idea of abandonment.

Unfortunately some dogs do suffer from separation anxiety and you could come home to a torn up house because of it. And I would guess that many rescue dogs understand very well the idea of abandonment.

DS takes his dog to Camp Bow Bow. This is a doggie day care/long term place. It is a franchise so you can check if there is one in your area. They would take him when he was a puppy for the day and he loved it. They have areas where all of the dogs are (by size) and the dogs are able to play together and go outside. They have food and quiet time through out the day. There is also a web cam that if you aren't comfortable you can watch your dog when they are in the play areas.

I was going to suggest your vet also. If they don't board dogs, they will be able to recommend someone.

I do know a lot of college kids (I work at a college)... I guess I would have to find someone I trust with my house? Is it odd to take down their drivers license number, and such, incase something does happen while I'm away?

I used to pet sit a lot in college and had never been asked for mine so I guess I'm not sure...most people who have experience pet/house sitting would be more than happy to provide references of other families they've worked for though! I would put a flyer up at the college saying that you are seeking an experienced pet sitter, or maybe ask some of your coworkers/neighbors/vet if there is anyone that they use? I feel like this is a business that largely depends on word of mouth.

I have two spoiled corgis. They love to play with other dogs. They go to the home of the breeder we got the youngest from. She has about 10 corgis in s little house with a huge yard. They love it. And we vacation several times a year so they have been there as long as a month! The cost is so small, 17 a day, though compared to kennels in our area that even though it is a five hour drive it is worth it. We go to the Best Friends kennel in our area occasionally and they are great too. But for two dogs sharing a space and all day play time it is almost 90 a day. That adds up quickly. We have thought about having people come to the house but I refuse to have them just sit around in the house by themselves even if they were to get walked a couple times a day. Plus we have an alarm system and I don't like giving our codes out. And having a stranger live in our home is not something I would like.

Our bulldog goes away with us. We kenneled once and it wasn't a good experience... if I was going to hire someone, it would be our vet tech who has a side business as a pet sitter. I would inquire at your vet to see if any of the techs do this.

Wow. Guessing/hoping you don't own a dog.

I own 3 dogs, they are like children to us, sleep in our bed, and mean more to me than anything in the world.

But, despite my desire to humanize them, they are not humans. And they do not grasp time the way humans do. There is absolutely nothing wrong with kenneling your dog at a reputable facility while you are away. We prefer to leave ours with family, and they are always very eager to see us when we return, but people tend to make a bigger deal out of this than the animals do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter