What to do with my dog while on vacation?

Annadesu

Splash Mountain Addict
I have a dog that is very much in love with me. She doesn't destroy the house while I'm gone, or anything like that, but she is very attached to me. She cries a lot whenever I go to work, and acts like I was gone for 10 years when I get home. She's also a very timid dog, in general.

My husband and I want to visit Disney, but I'm not sure what to do with her. I was going to put her in a kennel for a week, but I'm afraid that she's going to think we abandoned her. I guess I could hire someone to watch her while we're gone, but that would mean that they would have to be here 3ish times a day to walk her, feed her, let her out, etc.

Any suggestions?

Take her with you? There is Best Friends Pet Care right on property at WDW (across the street from POR). W have a reservation for our dog this December. It will be her first kennel stay (and our first time entrusting our beloved to a kennel of any kind). It's pricey ($37/night for DVC members like us and prices go up from there), but we can visit her throughout our Disney trip so she knows we haven't abandoned her. Reviews from those who have used the kennel have been great.

Do you have any friends with dogs that she could stay with? That's what I do with my dog... she's much happier that way than if she was put in a kennel and I don't feel like I'm risking her getting sick like she could in a kennel.

Is there any family you could leave her with? Our dog has similar tendencies in that he has separation anxiety (yes, dogs have it). The kennel we used last time has a doggy day care facility in addition to boarding. We opted out of the day care side as we're not sure how our dog would play with others, and the last thing I want is to be 1000 miles away, getting a phone call my dog is headed to a vet. Anyway, depending on when your trip is, I'd start looking into trying a doggy daycare to get over that separation.

It hurts leaving the dog behind, and yes, we think about him every day on vacation, but it's nice to have a meal without a dog nose in it, lol.

Here in the Denver area, there is also a woman who has a small business where basically she watches people's dogs while they're on vacation. She can take a dozen dogs or so at a time and they have a huge yard to play in. She also gives them any meds they may need, special diets, etc. There's another company that does daily adventures for your dog where they take them hiking and stuff... don't think that one offers overnight stays though. I'd check online to see what's available in your area if you can't find a friend to take yours.

Do you have another family member or a close friend that could take her into their home while you are on vacation? I leave my Gracie at my oldest DS's house when I go on vacation and I watch their dog when they go on vacation. You will always feel guilty leaving them, no matter who watches them!

TC :cool1:

I always get people who are animal lovers. I try to find someone who has nothing to do and likes to stay at home. I pay well and buy there groceries as well. That way they are with someone all the time. I miss mine to when we do take vacations.

Is there any family you could leave her with? Our dog has similar tendencies in that he has separation anxiety (yes, dogs have it). The kennel we used last time has a doggy day care facility in addition to boarding. We opted out of the day care side as we're not sure how our dog would play with others, and the last thing I want is to be 1000 miles away, getting a phone call my dog is headed to a vet. Anyway, depending on when your trip is, I'd start looking into trying a doggy daycare to get over that separation.

I'd be careful with doggy daycares and kennels. I took mine to one when she was younger and she was always getting sick... kennel cough is no fun for a pup. Also there is a more serious dog flu spreading around the country now and it spreads quickly in these types of situations.

my daughter (college age) hires her self out to stay in house with pets, so many people want her to do it she has to turn many down, if you know any people in of in that age ask if they have any friends who do that, meet with and decide if you trust

I'd be careful with doggy daycares and kennels. I took mine to one when she was younger and she was always getting sick... kennel cough is no fun for a pup. Also there is a more serious dog flu spreading around the country now and it spreads quickly in these types of situations.

The kennels in our area are very strict about shots and such and if they have any issues with your pets, they don't accept them. We luckily haven't had problems, and hope for that trend to continue.

We've had a teen stay in the house before, left pets with relatives, and now do kennels exclusively.

Our current dog does the whole "OMG I THOUGHT I'D NEVER SEE YOU AGAIN!!!!" routine nightly. Know what? She does the same thing to the girls at the kennel when we drop her off LOL

The kennels in our area are very strict about shots and such and if they have any issues with your pets, they don't accept them. We luckily haven't had problems, and hope for that trend to continue.

The doggy daycare I took my dog to was the same way, but unfortunately they can't always tell if a dog is sick or sometimes it isn't showing many symptoms yet. Kennel cough and dog flu are spread easily so I would just be careful about this. The place I took my dog required bordetella (kennel cough) vaccines and my dog had one but still ended up with it. The vaccines for kennel cough and dog flu are unfortunately not always very effective. Glad you have had good luck so far!

Last edited:
my daughter (college age) hires her self out to stay in house with pets, so many people want her to do it she has to turn many down, if you know any people in of in that age ask if they have any friends who do that, meet with and decide if you trust
This. My college age DD and several of her friends dog/house sit especially this time of year. One of them will be staying with ours in a couple of weeks.

I do know a lot of college kids (I work at a college)... I guess I would have to find someone I trust with my house? Is it odd to take down their drivers license number, and such, incase something does happen while I'm away?

I know how you feel. When we got our first dog before my kids were even born I hated the fact to put him in a kennel. But I got great recommendations from a family member and we went and got the tour. We were very happy with them that we still use them today with our other dog. Now granted I will admit that I got pretty teary eyed when I used to drop him off but they were always saying to call and they will let me know how he is doing. I think I only called the first time. When I go away two days or less my neighbor takes care of my dog but for longer trips we use our kennel.

I also don't use the doggy daycare as my dog has a bad leg and older now and I don't want anything happening to him when I'm far from home. Our kennel has different activities that they can do from swimming to playing to hiking.

My DD did a lot of dog care for folks that go out of town when she was in high school. Great job for a nieghborhood kid. They can come by several times a day and care for your dog, take him for a walk, and just love him for a while.

We hired a younger sibling of my sister-in-law who was around 20 at the time. We have two small dogs and they can't stay in their kennels all day so we had her live at our house 24/7 during the week we were gone. It worked out pretty well aside from a couple of accidents...she had never taken care of dogs before so even though we told her how often to take them out potty, she probably forgot from time to time. We filled the refrigerator with some of her favorite foods (we asked ahead of time) and left her cash on the counter for her pay. We wouldn't have been able to have someone just come in 3x per day...our dogs need more potty breaks than that, they eat at 6am & 2pm (plus an evening "snack" of kibble), and they sleep with us at night so they'd be scared to be home alone all night and in their kennels. I'd only board my dogs at a kennel/doggy daycare in an emergency.

try dogvacay.com. it's a great website of dog sitters and boarders.

I had to do it when my dog developed diabetes. he has to have two insulin shots a day and the kennels around here do not take dogs that need injectables.

I'm going on vacation for 10 days friday and he'll go back to our sitter. my dog does cry when we leave him but she sends us picture and video updates twice a day. I bring all his stuff from home.

Whew, she ain't cheap though. 50 bucks a night. so this vacation is going to set me back 500 bucks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter