• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What to do with an "extra" day - without going to a park?

Mom in Heels

Earning My Ears
Hi DISers,

We are travelling in early November with 2 kids, ages 2 and 4 and staying at the AOA resort. Southwest finally released flight times and instead of an early afternoon flight that we had been planning on, it looks like we'll be flying in first thing in the am and having an entire day that's unplanned. With the increase in park ticket prices in effect today (and having already purchased a set # of day passes), it looks like our options are to hang out and relax by the AOA pool or take the buses to Downtown Disney for a casual shopping and dining day. Any suggestions from the Disney veterans about things to do without visiting a park? :) Thanks in advance!

Hi DISers,

We are travelling in early November with 2 kids, ages 2 and 4 and staying at the AOA resort. Southwest finally released flight times and instead of an early afternoon flight that we had been planning on, it looks like we'll be flying in first thing in the am and having an entire day that's unplanned. With the increase in park ticket prices in effect today (and having already purchased a set # of day passes), it looks like our options are to hang out and relax by the AOA pool or take the buses to Downtown Disney for a casual shopping and dining day. Any suggestions from the Disney veterans about things to do without visiting a park? :) Thanks in advance!

With an early morning flight, we get to the hotel and veg. Get in some pool time. Make dinner arrangements at a resort we want to look at (you could head over to Animal Kingdom Lodge and look at animals - if your budget doesn't stretch to Boma or Jiko, they have a good food court. Or head to Chef Mickey's for dinner.). We are always exhausted from getting up early, the flight, the travel time

I agree with the PP -- take it easy, enjoy a swim at the pool, and afternoon naps. If you still want to do something besides DTD, you could go over to Fort Wilderness to watch the sing along and meet Chip & Dale. I would probably skip the movie because of your kids' ages. The pony ride at the Fort would be fun though.

DTD has a mini train for little kids, the t-rex restaurant has a fossil dig area, the lego store has build areas, and the toy store has a mr. potato head build area.

Just keep in mind that you will beat your luggage to your resort (assuming you use ME) so have anything you may need in a carry on with you, such as swim suits. DTD is fun but a lot of walking and usually crowded. Maybe play it by ear and see how tired everyone is, but I vote for relaxing by the pool until you can get into your room:thumbsup2

An idea for the evening...

The Wishes audio is piped into the Poly Beach, the GF Dock, and the 4th Floor deck at the Contemporary. On top of that- the Electrical Water Pageant also hits these areas and that soundtrack is piped into the areas as well. So, you could take a bus over to MK and then watch fireworks in relaxation from any of these points and possibly also catch the water pageant. If you choose to try the GF or the Poly- you can also mix and match the transport to get there and back to the MK buses...i.e. the boat launch and the monorail can add fun to this activity. There are pros and cons to each spot, and while my girls really like watching from the Contemporary deck, I think playing on the Poly beach was a little more fun for them + we relaxed with some drinks.

Also, not sure how you purchased your tickets and how many days you're doing, but if you purchased MYW tix and you're doing at least 3 or 4 days- the price to add a day is pretty small since the price decreases based on days purchased. I know it's very easy to add a day when checking in. Even with the price increase, it shouldn't be too significant. i.e. Let's say I have 5 days of non-hopper tickets for 2 adults and 1 child (since under 2 is free)...it would only be $30 more to add another day of tickets for everyone-i.e. just an extra $10 pp to add an extra day. It goes to $35 if you go from 4 to 5 days and $41 to go from 3 to 4. Just thinking I'd probably spend more $ shopping all day in DTD vs. adding a day of tickets. On the flip side- if you stick with the pool and relaxation- it might be the cheaper way to skip the extra day, but you'd definitely need swim stuff, etc. in your carry ons if you're doing DME since it will be a little while before you get your luggage. Also, remember that you can still check in before check in time... so your room MAY be ready when you arrive. We've had our room ready as early as 7:15am! Seriously was not expecting that one!

If you do decide that you would like some extra park time you can add days to your passes once you get there. So that can still be an option if you want it to be.

You can call and add days to your tickets if you booked through disney with no change in amounts. The only thing that would be subject to increase at this point is if you add park hopper, or water parks. I called to change my day amount on the 2nd, and add waterparks and she said that you are already locked in for the rate you had when you booked, but again adding things you didnt have before will be the part that is increased.

We've gone resort exploring in the past. Hop on the resort Monorail and visit the Poly, Contemporary and Grand Floridia (kids can sleep in a stroller on the Monorail) or any place you like via bus.

It's just nice to visit/explore other places and see what there like. If you want to see animals Kidani village has some nice outdoor viewing areas.

If you like hidden Mickeys you can grab a book and find some resort hidden Mickeys in your travels. :)

We enjoy lounging by the pool. We are on the go so much at WDW and that seems to be our only "down time".

I like to get in early. Last trip, we went ahead and added a day on the tickets. It was only a few dollars to go from a nine day pass to 10. We then checked in, rested a while, and then went to EpCot for a few hours before calling it an early night.

On previous trips we've lounged by the pool and then either gone to DD or Chef Mickeys for dinner.

We just plan on an early night so that we can wake up rested and

ready to go.

How many days on your tickets? If it's more than 4 or 5 then the price to add a day is MINIMAL (do it at the parks after you've already used one day to keep your 'discount' of purchasing before the increase). So, if it was me - I would get in and check out the resort for a bit...maybe hang by the pool - then head to a park for dinner and nighttime show Fantasmic or Parade and Wishes at MK.

That way - if you're heading to HS or MK the next morning - you can leave before the evening show since you've already seen it.

Thanks for the input all! We have 4-day tickets already, so we'll more than likely just follow advice and relax / rest up for a full park day. But it is nice to know that we have the option of adding on a day at the original price - thanks for the tip :)

My daughter was always a great traveler, but what I have found with my grandsons, is that the earlier the flight, the crankier they are as the day progresses.

Their favorite activity on travel days is a swim in the pool. That was about as much activity as they wanted to handle. We would usually have one adult go get dinner and bring it back to the room, and get them rested up for the week ahead.

Have a wonderful vacation!!:thumbsup2:goodvibes

We were always Ones to take the first flight and rush to the parks. This lead to cranky kid (and parents) and for us a couple days to recover. This trip we plan on hanging at the resort for a for the day, settling in, using the pool getting my grocery delivery etc etc. make the day more relaxing so the next day is more fun.

We did one trip with DD where we hit the parks as soon as we arrived and we'll never do it again...Epic two-year-old meltdown ensued at Minnie's house. Now, we plan to swim and get settled upon arrival. I'll usually pixie-dust the room with some special trip gifts to make the unpacking go smoothly. Autograph book, cool pen, small stuffed animal, new pin, coloring book. DH or I try to go up first and put the loot under the covers of the bed and in drawers or something.

But, it's nice to have a backup in case of storms, cold weather, or rain so I would book a character meal or fun sit down at your resort or plan to hit the monorail for a tour of monorail resort lobbies. Downtown Disney is a possibility too, though we don't even attempt that usually because everyone is tired and overwhelmed and we want to get a good early start the following morning.

Our arrival day is always a resort day. We settle in, explore and relax at the pool.

We tried an evening park on arrival day once.
Didn't like it. Felt too wound up.

Boardwalk early eveing is so much fun...performers, people watching..head to beaches and cream for icecream...the water light parade is fun...we love just hanging out at our resort..

My wife and mother-in-law love to shop, so while they go shopping for bargins to bring back the UK, i'll take my three boys (9,7,7) to Disney Quest for the day.

They get a break from the parks and have a fun day out with just daddy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter