what to do with a 5 year old boy!

mjtm610

Mouseketeer
We need help! We are taking our grandson to WDW to celebrate his 5th birthday. We've done the same for our granddaughters 5th birthday.
There doesn't seem to be much for 5 year old boys. He's not into princesses. There doesn't seem to be a boy centered character meal. I know we're planning on the pirate experience, but other than that........I don't have anything. The pirate cruise to watch wishes doesn't interest us either.
I'm really looking for a meal experience. He'll get plenty of cake and candy and ice cream through out the parks!
Thanks

Isn't going to WDW enough of a gift? Why is that not special? Seriously, I want to know why that's not enough.

But to answer your question, Chef Mickey does dinner with Mickey and friends. Crystal Palace has a meal with Winnie the Pooh. 'Ohaha has a Lilo & Stich breakfast. There's plenty of non-princess character meals. Just check here:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/just_for_kids/dining.htm

Tusker House--the characters are in safari gear. I was going to recommend the Pirate adventure, my son loved it. He did the one out of the Grand Floridian

We're doing Hollywood & Vine breakfast with the Disney Junior characters at Hollywood Studios as well as lunch at Tusker House, breakfast at Ohana, and dinner at Crystal Palace. My boys will be 4 and 8 at trip time.

We went in early 2013 with my 2 boys, plus 5 of my nephews who were under the age of 10. There was no shortage of things that interested them. They loved Hollywood Studios with the offerings of Lights, Motors, Action, Indiana Jones, Star Tours, Toy Story, etc. They got to meet Phineas & Ferb and see Lightning McQueen and Mater.

Truly, all of the parks had plenty to keep the boys interested without spending money on extra tours or packages.

Please re consider the pirate cruise! It was so much fun for all of us! It's not just a cruise; you know disney does it all the way! We got there early and enjoyed the fun prior to departing for the pirate adventure! What about a family tour at magic kingdom or animal kingdom?

Isn't going to WDW enough of a gift? Why is that not special? Seriously, I want to know why that's not enough.

But to answer your question, Chef Mickey does dinner with Mickey and friends. Crystal Palace has a meal with Winnie the Pooh. 'Ohaha has a Lilo & Stich breakfast. There's plenty of non-princess character meals. Just check here:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/just_for_kids/dining.htm

You are right. WDW is enough of a gift. However, we have taken all the girls and have done all the princess stuff......he's not going to find the fun in that. We're just looking for activities that are NOT girl/princess centered, This guy has enough girls/women in his life. I don't think that he should get less because he's a boy. Yes, the trip is enough of a gift. But that wasn't the question.

I love this! I have 3 girls and a boy: we have taken the girls before but this is DS first trip (he's only 2.5) so we're still hitting a princess meal, but Tusker House, Garden Grill and H&V (disney junior characters) are the ones I think he'll love!

Even though your grandson is only 5, does he like Star Wars? Cars? Lots for him to love in HS then. And I second the pirate cruise! Yo ho ho!

What a fantastic tradition! I imagine you've created some incredible memories!
;-)

Please re consider the pirate cruise! It was so much fun for all of us! It's not just a cruise; you know disney does it all the way! We got there early and enjoyed the fun prior to departing for the pirate adventure! What about a family tour at magic kingdom or animal kingdom?

I have a 5 year old son who loved this cruise. I would really reconsider it. Also not sure when you are going but they did Star Wars character meals at the parks when Star Wars weekend was going on. Our son isn't that into Star Wars but enjoyed it. Our son loves disney jr and Hollywood and vine does a breakfast/lunch with jake.

I agree there isn't all that much outside of princesses. My son likes that but I do wish there was more variety as well.

Not sure when you are taking him to WDW but if you could plan it for around Star Wars weekend you could do one of the Star Wars Weekend character meals. Otherwise, our 5 yr old likes Chef Mickey and Cape May Café.

As a mom of 2 boys, I hear what you are saying. We have stayed in the pirate rooms at CBR, done the Pirate League twice, they have done the pirate cruise that departs from POR and we have done a ton of character meals. Something I would suggest is to let him build his own light saber at DHS or DD; a treat my boys love. Or try the Pirate League experience; at 5 I think it will be right up his ally. As far as the character meals go, my boys have enjoyed most of them even the ones with the Princesses. They really do like Chef Mickey's and they enjoyed the step sisters at 1900s Park Faire. Oh, another thing is to do Agent P's adventure in Epcot; my boys like that. Maybe look into the Sorcerer's card game in MK too.

When we went the first time my son believe it or not even enjoyed seeing the princesses, as he loves all Disney movies and new them all. He was 6 when we went and our daughter was 2.5. He enjoyed his sword they gave him as a knightly prince at Cinderella's Royal Table, We did "Belle's Enchanted Tales" and he was selected to be a "Salt Shaker" in the renactment/play...he really enjoyed that. But here's a list of things your son will definitely enjoy too.

1. Star Wars: Jedi Training Academy - If your little ones love Star Wars, it doesn’t get much cooler than attending Jedi Training Academy! Kids, ages 4 to 12, learn to use the Force at Star Wars: Jedi Training Academy, an exciting 30-minute live show featuring inspiring music and awesome lightsaber duels at Disney’s Hollywood Studios Theme Park. Watch out – you might find yourself facing Darth Vader himself!

2. Captain Jack Sparrow’s Pirate Tutorial - Learn the fine art of being a pirate from Captain Jack Sparrow himself! After all, who doesn’t want to be a pirate? Say “ARRRRR” and learn how to sword fight in this high-spirited show in Adventureland. Times vary throughout the day, so check your park guide to get a front row seat… and you may find yourself up on stage yourself taking the pirate oath to join Jack’s crew

3. The Boneyard - This attraction in DinoLand in Animal Kingdom gives kids the opportunity to dig for fossils in a cool, sandy dino-playground. Little palentologists can dig and play dectective as they excavate a mammoth, climb through tunnels, play music on the “xylobone,” wind through a giant maze and more! There’s no time limit at this attraction – the hardest part may be getting kids to leave!

4. Wild Africa Trek - this private tour takes you behind the scenes at Animal Kingdom. Includes 3-hour guided safari tour, tasting of African-inspired foods and professional photo CD. Guests get closer than you ever dreamed possible to massive hippos – even trek across a rope bridge over a river full of crocodiles! One of the coolest experiences out there for animal lovers!

5. Pirates League -head on over to the Pirates League for the more rough-and-tumble makeover! Get the Jake and the Neverland Pirates makeover for a friendlier look… or for the truly terrible, get dangerous with the First Mate package!

Explore all that Walt Disney Worls has to offer from Parades, Dinner Shows, Character Experiences....trust me that little guy will love IT ALL. From Gaston Tavern and hanging out with Gaston, too taking pics with Tiana...Disney is a fun world for all, so think less about him being a boy (in my opinion) and concentrate on bringing all that Disney Magic to his little spirit you can bring :) Enjoy your trip!

Oh yeah Meal Experiences...
1. Chef Mickey's is awesome!
2. Tusker House is super duper!
3. Crystal Palace - Winnie the Pooh and Friends! Awesome
4. 1900 Park Fare - Alice in Wonderland..My son loved loved loved the Mad Hatter who was too funny coming around poking at him
5. Hollywood and Vine has the Disney Jr Characters - Jake and the Neverland Pirates, Sofia the First, Doc Mc tuffins, etc.
6. Ohana at the Polynesian - My kids favorite..loved loved loved Lilo and Stitch...Mickey showed up too ;)

Thank you for all your great ideas. I know we aren't going to be able to do all of these great recommendations. He is going to be blown away seeing Mickey and all his friends.
We have done this type of trip before. Believe me, it is even more special to us. We love being able to have an adventure with each of our grandchildren. It's fun to see how they light up and get filled with the magic. I know we are fortunate to be able to do this. I'm counting the days!

A few more idea:

Lego store shopping trip at DTD....DS LOVES that place.

Build mr potato head at DTD....had tons of fun doing that

Build a Light Saber at HS and try to get the fight Darth Vador deal!

Tons of great character meals with the fab4.

mickey's backyard B-B-Q or HDDR

Not trying to insult you OP, but these "where are the boy things?" threads always confuse the crap out of me. There are 13 character meals that I can think of and only 2 are Princesses, plus there are 2 themed restaurants in DTD that are nearly as good as a character meal. There are only 2 "girl" rides that I can think of and both are new (Belle and Ariel). Yes a lot of merchandise is princess based, but thats what little girls want and the name of the game is to get parents to buy stuff. :rotfl: For the most part, i think that disney does a great job of being gender neutral.

I have a five year old boy and he's been to WDW three times.
These have already been mentioned, but Tusker House is a fantastic character meal for boys (and girls) - in addition to meet and greets they do a little musical parade thing that's a ton of fun.
Also, Mickey's Backyard BBQ is awesome for 5 year old boys - the rope twirler is amazing!
We haven't done Pirates League because my son hates getting his face painted, but it could be awesome.

And like a PP said, I'm always confused by the "what to do with boys" threads? In three trips with a little boy, I've never once had trouble finding more than enough to keep us busy and there are plenty of "special" things for boys. Avoid CRT and 1900 Park Fare, and bing-bang-boom, you've managed to escape unscathed by a Princess.

I didn't mean to imply that there are not plenty of activities that are gender neutral. And plenty of meals that are also gender neutral. What I asked was if there were activities that appealed especially to a 5 year old boy.
We have been to WDW each year since 1971. Many years we have gone twice. One year we even managed to go 4 times. That's a lot of trips. Yet, I am always amazed by all the things I don't know. I admit that probably a lot goes right past me because it doesn't apply to me. That is why I asked for suggestions/recommendations/advice of people who have gone with a 5 year old boy and found meals/activities that their children especially enjoyed. I did not say that he (or any other boy) could not enjoy a princess meal. I just don't want to take a trip and find out I could have made other choices that he might have enjoyed. I'm sorry if this sounds snarky. I asked for advice/suggestions from people who have had this experience. I don't need to be chastised for my post. Isn't this where you're supposed to be comfortable asking questions from people with experiences?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter