What To Bring For Toddlers In Case Of Seasickness??

We went with a 2yo last year, and after all my research i decided on ginger. I got a bottle at a health food store. It came in liquid form so it could be mixed with water or another drink. Think about ginger ale to help an upset stomach when you are sick.

Can't tell you if it worked though. I think the stabilizers on the ship worked awesome. neither us nor DD got sick. I was a paratrooper and used to get sick on the plane a lot so I would take Dramamine before a jump, but I didn't even need that on the cruise.

FYI We were outrunning a tropical storm and were in very high seas for the last day, and nobody got sick.

Have a great trip.

I think I will take either Dramamine or Bonine before I even get on the boat , just to be safe, and every day there after. Does either one cause drowsiness?

I think I will take either Dramamine or Bonine before I even get on the boat , just to be safe, and every day there after. Does either one cause drowsiness?

Dramamine does, but I think they may have a non-drowsy formula too. Not sure about Bonine.

I found a bottle of dramamine last week at my grandmas and was reading it....it says 2-3 yr olds can take a 1/4 tab...havent researched yet though, just what the bottle said

be careful with Gravol. Most pediatricians do NOT recommend it anymore for children under six. Don't use it if your child has NEVER had it before my 2.5 yr old had a horrible "mental" reaction to it. He trashed,hit, rolled on the floor, yelled things at us but made NO sense... Doctor said it was a bad "trip" and has now told us to say he is allergic to the medicine found in it until he is old enough for his body to handle it. Said we could try again when he was 6. It was scary... freaked me and my hubby out as our girls NEVER reacted that way.

DS(10) gets motion sickness BAD. In fact, in all of our cars, my parent’s car and the school bus he has his own throw up bucket. Needless to say I was very very worried about taking him on a plane let alone a ship. The Dr said to give him Dramamine prior to the plane ride and each day of the cruise. He felt fine the entire time. In fact I stopped giving him the Dramamine at the half way point since it made him so groggy. Now on the way back to MCO in the rental car we had an incident but thank god for those airplane puke bags (we each took one off the plane). We leave next month and DS wants to try the wrist bands this time. I think I will do that and take the pills for back up.

From my vast experience with Dramamine (as I said before I was a paratrooper and used to take it before a jump) They do have a less drowsy formula that works great. Keep in mind this is a "less" drowsy formula, not a non-drowsy.. It is great for flying since you can just sleep on the plain. It is my experience that if you can get a solid nap after you take it, you can wake up and shake the drowsiness off. I would take it about an hour before we would load the plain, sleep until take off (up to an hour) and through the usually 2-3 hour flight until green light. After the jump, mostly at night, we would be up for at least 8-10 hours, if not 20. I would do fine with this. Some of that could be due to the adrenalin rush from the jump, not sure.

If I remember right it is a 12 hour formula, so if you are able to get up at like 3 or 4 am, take it and go back to sleep, then by morning you should be good to go for the day. Take it again before an afternoon nap. But everyone is different. This may not work for you. You can always counteract the sleepiness with coffee from Cove Cafe, I remember it being pretty good and prices in line with Starbucks.

Kids under 6 rarely get seasick and my pharmacist said that there weren't any medications that they would give to a child under 12 years of age.

I just watched Myth Busters and they did a test and found GINGER to be the best remedy for seasickness. Tablets, they say, are best, but I also drink ginger ale onboard and eat gingersnap cookies.

I'm taking my box of Target $1.39 gingersnaps with me next week just in case. Better to be safe than sorry. I'll also take my seabands too.

Regarding toddlers, I was at the Pediatrician with my son for his 3 year old check up. I specifically asked this question, and he said if needed he could have a small amount of Children's Liquid Benadryl but nothing else. He also said, however, that it'd be highly unlikely for either of my kids (3 & 5) to be bothered with seasickness.

When I was pregnant, anything sour helped (Jolly Ranchers saved me many a time). I may bring along some sour Skittles just in case (or ask Shirley to put them in our baskets).

Diane

Seabands worked for my 5yr. old on a Disney cruise she also gets carsick. If you do plan on using Benadryl do a test run first. My pediatrician suggested this with my son and I am glad he did because it had the opposite effect on him he was climbing the walls. I also like to bring mint gum or breathmints they sometimes help sooth the stomach.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter