What size is your almost 2 year old wear?

My dd is 25 months. She wears mostly gymboree size 12-18 months. She was exactly 16lbs at her 1 year check up and 21lbs 1oz at her 2 year check up and 32 1/4 inches. My dd1 is 6 years old and was similiar 16.5lbs at a year but jumped to 23lbs at age 2. Somewhere from age 2 where I believe she was at most 10% for height she jumped to 50% for height at age 3. She is now fairly average for her age just skinny. (50% height/7 % weight at 6) She needs size 6 for length on pants and has to be slims which are often too big in the waist even then. My dd2 was bigger than my dd1 at birth by 1 1/2 pounds and they are 48 months apart but dd2 wears a size smaller than dd1 did so it is really hard for me to predict sizes a year ahead.

It sounds like your child is staying relatively close to her age when it comes to clothing size...so when she is almost 2 she would be moving into the 2T size. But it is so tough to guess! My 2.5 year old had been in 2T shirts since she was about 24 mos old, but she can still wear most 18 mos bottoms (at least shorts & skirts). She has a few 3T shirt that look OK too. She is skinny & short, but long waisted. Maybe weighs 25 pounds or so.

In contrast I know a few one year old girls that are her size and actually weigh more than she does!

I think you could buy 2T clothes and be safe. Kids can have growth spurts at any time, but usually by the time they are 1 or so you can tell if they are "big" or "petite" babies and they tend to remain so through their preschool years.

Thanks for all the help. My daughter is not petie she is around 22 pounds. She will be 11 months next week. She does fit good in 12 months. Gymboree tends to run bigger on her than Childrens Place.

Thanks KElly

I'm no help as far as size, but I second you with the Children's Place sale. All the summer stuff basically is 50% off, plus I had an extra 20% off coupon. My DS is large (16 mos right now). He is in the 95% for height and just 50% for weight. He is in 18 months right now, but some shorts are loose. I ended up buying alot of shirts at 3T. You just can't go wrong with a big shirt (esp for a boy)...it will just be loose (plus it will shrink). I bought a pair of overall shorts because those are fairly flexible. I also bought a pair of jeans for this fall. I bought 24 mos because I figured between now and next spring he will be in that size at some point.

I bought I think 14 items overall and spent $42 including tax. At these prices, if only half of the stuff fits, I still did pretty good. I did buy a more expensive bermuda type shorts outfit. It was so cute. We are saving it for our Disney trip in August.

Good luck and happy shopping!

my 22mo is only in a 12-18 month.

Last summer I bought ahead for this summer and got all 24 months.. they are all way to big lol.

Now my 10mo is in an 18-24 month.

All you can do is take a guess based on her size now. Your dd seems to be close to her actual size now...but be prepared that you are taking a chance and things may not fit (there's always ebay!). Different brands run differently also. I took a chance on a winter coat for next year for my dd when I found a bargain at the Children's Place outlet.

My dd is 33 months old and wears 18-24 months in bottoms. She's very tiny, especially in the waist. We sometimes have a problem with things being too short. She can get away with some 2T/3T in tops.

I caught that sale yesterday. My daughter will be 2 next summer and thats what I bought in tee shirts. I loved that patchwork dress and bought it in a 3t. I find with dresses and shirts I can buy bigger and use them longer. With dresses, they start out long and as my daughter grows the become shorter. Id rather clothes be too big vs too small. You can always roll sleeves, pant legs, etc. We have TCP, Carter's and Osh Kosh outlets nearby and Ive gotten 70% off stuff, some outfits not having hit the stores yet. Needless to say, I have clothes all the way up to 5 for my now 1 yr old daughter. I do try to buy stuff that is classic vs fad so it wont be out of style the next year.

Hit the sale especially if you have girls. Our store didnt have much for boys. I got my daughter tees for around $2.50, and a dress around $7. The stuff thats on sale is another 50% off. And if they dont fit next year, youre not out a lot of money!

alison

It's so hard to tell, especially since a chubby baby can slim out or they can have a big growth spurt suddenly. My DS was huge as a baby. At 12 months he was wearing 24m and 2T. He was wearing 3T by the time he was 18 months. He was still wearing 3T the following summer when he was 2 and was still wearing a few 3Ts when was 3. Now he's just 4 and he's well into 5s and even some 6s.

lovethattink said:
My son turned 2 in April. He wears size 2 and is about 33 pounds.

This is exactly the same as my son! He has been this way for almost a year. He is getting taller and slimming out!

I am know a 2 year old who weighs 34 pounds (the weight of a 3 year old) and who is as tall as a 4 year old. So, who knows. :)

My 20 month old dd weighs 24 pounds and is on the taller side- she is wearing 12-18 month bottoms (gymboree sizing) and 18-24 mos. tops.

My DD was in a 24mts at 12mts and a 3T at 24mts.

When I buy ahead like that for DDr or DS, I buy the next size or two up. She wears what fits and what doesn't, I either sell on ebay and make a profit, give it to family or a friend that has a child it may fit, or I donate to charity. This always works for me.

I hate to warn you, but my kids were all sooo different. It's hard to tell. My babies all started out the same, but then took to their own growth patterns by 18 months to 2 years.

My 1st dd was average to large with a long torso. She was wearing 3T's and generously cut 2T stuff. Shoes, average for age.

My 2nd child, also a girl, was tall and skinny. The only thing she could wear the same as first dd was dresses. 2T's were too short while 3T's were too baggy. Was happy to have slim cut stuff. Shoes smaller for age.

3rd child is a boy. Totally different growth rate. He wore 2T-3T shirts with 18 month shorts, and slimmer cut 2T pants (for leg length). Overalls and one piece stuff...forget it. They were too short in torso, and he surprised us by potty training himself early. Potty users need easy to pull up and down stuff.
This boy has fat feet! Average length, but wide sized needed for shoes.

I was really surprised to see how differently their bodies grew, and at what rates. Luckily, we have friends and family that swap stuff with tags still on them that were purchased in advance.

My DD is a bit of a chunk (31 or 32 pounds). She'll be 2 next Friday and is mostly in 3T for the Children's Place. Gymboree 3T is big on her, but not unwearable. I'm hoping it'll still fit next summer!

dd 5 now has been true to size until recently. at 6 months she wore 6 months, same is true at all size until she reached 4 1/2. She started wearing 5 and is now wearing 5/6, and many 6. She is as the nurse called her "just right." Many of her preschool friends were calling her short, and when she mentioned this at her 5 year check-up she was 50% in both height and weight. The nurse told her to tell all her friends, "nurse Karen says I'm just right." It was the cutest thing. Know all this about her growth patterns has allowed us to get the best clothing at end of the season markdowns for the following year. I think that will soon be changing, not just because she is growing differently but she is a girl and developing her own sense of style and taste.

I guess my kids are huge DD 5 wears 6x slim pants and shorts and 6x to 7 tops she weighs about 40 lbs and is 47 in tall DD#2 is 3 at her 3yr old checkup 2 months ago she weighed 35 lbs and was 40 in tall she wears anything from 3-5T depending on the cut she is very thin- welcome to off the growth chart 95 and above since 6 weeks old for both! I always found childrens place sizes to run funny to buy stuff ahead of time.

Honestly, I gave up on buying much in advance. DS is 16 months and wearing 3-6 month shorts this summer, same as last year. The couple of 18 month outfits I bought in advance have been tossed in a box for next summer. He's all over the map, being tall and skinny - for length we need 12-18 month clothes but like I said - shorts and t-shirts can be 3-6, 6-9 or 6-12 month. I honestly haven't a clue what to buy him for this winter, much less next year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter