What new to you side dish did you make yesterday?

DanceswithDisney

Mouseketeer
We tried roasted Brussel sprouts with bacon, pecans and maple syrup. It was a hit!

So much better than green bean casserole! What new to you item did you try for your meal yesterday!

I made a salad with roasted beets, pecans, pears and blue cheese. I topped it with Emeril's balsamic dressing (homemade from his recipe). I loved it.

For an appetizer I made a cheese ball and shaped it like a turkey. I had never made a cheeseball before but it was very easy and yummy.

Nice thread idea.

Does this count as a side?

11202961_10208353420583294_2948742701809313999_n.jpg

We tried roasted Brussel sprouts with bacon, pecans and maple syrup. It was a hit!

So much better than green bean casserole! What new to you item did you try for your meal yesterday!
I tried something very similar. Roasted Brussels sprouts with roasted butternut squash, pecans, cranberries and maple syrup.

Honey-Glazed Roasted Butternut Squash & Apples w/ Praline Pecans.... Soooo good!

My sister brought a cold Kale & Cranberry Salad which was good too.

DH also smoked a turkey for the first time, & it was wonderful!

I tried something very similar. Roasted Brussels sprouts with roasted butternut squash, pecans, cranberries and maple syrup.

Sounds yummy but I'd probably have to blindfold and hog-tie DH to get him to taste it.

creamed corn....and it was yummy but too much liquid. Had to strain it. I put cream, butter, cream cheese, s&p and a little bit of sugar. We also bought brussel sprouts to make but forgot, so later this weekend!

Since it was a small gathering and the same people are coming for Christmas Eve, I decided to experiment on them!

I made:
incredible whipped potatoes with cream cheese and horseradish from Bon Appite - amazing!
Creamed spinach ala Boston Market - very good but a little thick, I will use less roux next time
Honey maple roasted carrots with pomegranate seeds - good not great

It was fun to experiment and everyone ate very well :-)

Not a side, but I home-made my pie crusts this year for the first time.

This year for Christmas I'm going to make this garlic pull apart bread with a marinara sauce shaped like a Christmas tree!

MIL made five cup salad and squash and apples. Even though I didn't make it, and she's made it before, they were both first-time side dishes.

We also did something different with Brussels sprouts. We took fresh sprouts, sauté them in olive oil and sprinkled them with garlic powder. This was a big hit with everyone and will definitely make it to another holiday table. Don't know why we never tried this before.

Well not me, but my mom decided to switch things up and make cornbread stuffing instead of her traditional bread/sausage stuffing. It was not a hit! It not that it tasted bad, it just didn't belong with our Thanksgiving meal.

This year my mom made....I'm not even sure what you would call it. It was acorn squash cut in half and hollowed out. The squash was mixed with sausage and breadcrumbs then put back in the squash shells and baked. Dear lord it was good.

For a new appetizer she had some cream cheese with hot Italian sausage wrapped in crescent roll dough. Also really good.

I can't find the original post that I first saw this in but someone in another thread mentioned they make little "muffins" out of Stove Top Stuffing and while I can't vouch for anyone else, *I* thought they were fantastic!

I made some potato soup. I ended up absolutely loving it, the best batch ever.

Yes, I know I might get a strain in my arm from patting myself on the back. :duck:

We decided to forego the traditional dinner altogether and had fondue and raclette for dinner, with chocolate fondue for dessert. Everybody LOVED it!

I can't say totally "new" since I made it last year too, but I made a sweet potato casserole (?) that really belongs on the dessert table instead of the dinner table. Enough sugar and butter to sink a battleship and chopped pecans. Amazing!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter