• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is your not so normal item to pack, which is helpful while at WDW ?

My husband likes to bring props for photos ex: on Dinosaur the picture from the ride showed a bunch of people screaming and DH looking very intrigued by the Hidden Mickey book he was reading... and on TOT he's in the photo holding a Mickey doll and a giant lollypop crying! He's kind of a nut.:rotfl2:

Lol! :rotfl2: I love that. Of course my DJ would probably refuse to sit by me if I tried that. I think my growing packing list is scaring him.

I bring a collapsible cooler which we take to the pool. In the cooler I fill from our in room cooler, soft drinks, water and adult beverages. I bought a plastic bottle with one of those freezer things to hold wine. Super money saver. NO glass at the pool please.
Gatoraid has the packet's that you pour into water, great on a hot day.
I bring my own pillows, must have!!!
Its a good thing that we drive.:rotfl:

I know this is a really old post, but does anyone know if the RPR will allow a small collapsible cooler at the pool? I love this idea! ::yes::

Cool thread!

Has anyone ever brought a CamelBack (a backpack full of drinking water) to the parks? Would this cause a problem on the rides? I've only ever gone in January where hydration was not a major issue but will be going in September this time. :)

Cool thread!

Has anyone ever brought a CamelBack (a backpack full of drinking water) to the parks? Would this cause a problem on the rides? I've only ever gone in January where hydration was not a major issue but will be going in September this time. :)

I haven't had an issue with it when I bring mine, sometimes I just have to take it off and put it between my legs when on certain rides. Just make sure it's water that's in there ;)

Cool thread!

And make sure that you clean it regularly! Just cleaned ours last night for our trip this week!

Cool thread!

I used mine for our eight-day trip recently. It was perfect. If you fill it with ice before you leave, it helps keep your back cool. Mine stayed cool almost all day during April/May weather. I recommend using a non-sugar flavor in them, like Crystal Light. It helps cover any Florida water flavor, doesn't get as sticky inside the pouch, so easier to rinse out, and isn't as likely to stain the shirt you are wearing as badly (or at all) if it happens to drip(from experience... ;D). Never had any trouble with security. They just asked if it was water, and I said Crystal Light, and they just smiled and waved me through. I had no trouble on rides. Just put it between your legs and loop it around your knees and it won't go anywhere, not even on Everest or Space Mt. Have fun!!!

I used mine for our eight-day trip recently. It was perfect. If you fill it with ice before you leave, it helps keep your back cool. Mine stayed cool almost all day during April/May weather. I recommend using a non-sugar flavor in them, like Crystal Light. It helps cover any Florida water flavor, doesn't get as sticky inside the pouch, so easier to rinse out, and isn't as likely to stain the shirt you are wearing as badly (or at all) if it happens to drip(from experience... ;D). Never had any trouble with security. They just asked if it was water, and I said Crystal Light, and they just smiled and waved me through. I had no trouble on rides. Just put it between your legs and loop it around your knees and it won't go anywhere, not even on Everest or Space Mt. Have fun!!!

We also have never had any trouble. Security usually peeks in that pocket and says "Oh, water," and moves on. We both have them, by only my BF carries his because I don't drink as much. (He is a human sponge!) We actually bring a Brita pitcher with to ward off the icky taste, the space saver kind which we bought for this purpose. The first few trips he filled it with ice from the hotel's ice machine but I believe he stopped doing that because it made his back sweaty all day from it being so chilly. It still stayed pretty cold just being in the darkness.

I always bring a plug in nightlite because the resort rooms are very dark and in the middle of the night it's hard to find your way to the bathroom

I recommend using a non-sugar flavor in them, like Crystal Light. It helps cover any Florida water flavor, doesn't get as sticky inside the pouch, so easier to rinse out, and isn't as likely to stain the shirt you are wearing as badly (or at all) if it happens to drip(from experience... ;D).

Great idea! Thanks to all! :goodvibes

Don't know if this has been posted before, but I buy these "WC Kits" from Magellans. They are for use in restrooms. They are individually packaged and each package includes a tissue, moist towelette, and a seat cover. You get 10 for $10.50. Worth every penny and have come in handy many times.

Don't know if this has been posted before, but I buy these "WC Kits" from Magellans. They are for use in restrooms. They are individually packaged and each package includes a tissue, moist towelette, and a seat cover. You get 10 for $10.50. Worth every penny and have come in handy many times.

I will have to look for those, and not just for DIsney!

I make my own dishwashing cloths.

Thoroughly rinse out clean unused baby wipes ( I use a name brand as they tend to be thicker and more sturdy), squeeze out any excess water and add a quarter size drop of your favorite dishwashing liquid. Then allow them to dry completely. Store them in a travel wipes container or ziploc bag.

I use them to wash sippy cups, baby bottles, pacifiers, disposable utensils, resort mugs, etc.They work everywhere, I use them whenever I go out with DD1 and not just on vacation!

**Make sure you let them dry completely before you store them though, I didn't do that once and they got that nasty, musty, rotten, smell!

Also, for those of us who bring regular size bottles of shampoo, conditioner, etc. in checked luggage on the plane: leave at least an inch of space between the top of the liquid and the top of the bottle and then double bag. The air pressure in the plane messes with the bottles causing the liquid to expand and explode.

You can also make your own dryer sheets:

Soak a dry wash cloth in liquid softener, squeeze out any excess, allow to dry completely. Toss them in the dryer as you would a normal dryer sheet. You can even use them multiple times!
Great ideas!

Great Ideas! Thank you everyone!

My MUST HAVE:

H2O Uno ... My 4 kids are 7,9,11 & 13- They are an awesome age for Disney- but Still waiting for parades, shows, etc can get a little boring! We have awesome games that sometimes include families from all over the world! They are plastic, and come with their own carribeaner! I LOVE LOVE LOVE this game!
Even though this post is several years old, I just looked this game up on amazon and am going to order it! Great idea, great reviews too. http://www.amazon.com/Uno-H2O-To-Card-Game/dp/B001HN6EF4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

im not sure if its been mentioned or not but i usually take a small postal tube with us, you know the ones that posters usually come in? well they are so handy, as its hard to keep keepsakes flat in the suit case, so its just easy to roll them up and pop in the tube. When we're at DLP we like to collect the different placemats from different hotels, so the tubes come in handy :)

im not sure if its been mentioned or not but i usually take a small postal tube with us, you know the ones that posters usually come in? well they are so handy, as its hard to keep keepsakes flat in the suit case, so its just easy to roll them up and pop in the tube. When we're at DLP we like to collect the different placemats from different hotels, so the tubes come in handy :)

Love this idea! Never thought about this and we usually end up with something that needs to be packed and not folded!

Something I use to pack (in my park bag) was little post-it notes. When my DD was a toddler the automatic toilets would make her so nervous because many times they would flush too soon. Of course this isn't limited to park restrooms...but during your vacay you'll come across a lot of these types of toilets and you can cover the sensor light.

OK, I have an odd item that we pack - Sleigh Bell Necklaces

We usually travel with my parents. My father has Alzheimers. We had one incident on the Disney Cruise two years ago (on my wedding cruise) where my mother told him to go get ready, and then she turned to prepare some clothes. He didn't see her in the corner of the room and got concerned and went looking for her and went out of the room.

Thank goodness that we were smart enough to alert check in ahead of time that he did have Alzheimers and they actually took a picture of him and kept it at the desk, just in case. Not sure why we did that, because he never wandered before. But something just made us do it when we checked in. Good thing we did.

When we realized he wasn't in the room, we were frantic looking for him. One of the crew members saw the looks of our faces and asked to help. Within minutes they took that picture and broadcast it to all the stations on board and he was found in minutes. I guess it happens often with children missing on the ship.

To avoid him wandering in the night while we're sleeping and don't see him go we put the Christmas Sleigh Bell Necklaces on the door knobs. So if someone opens the door, the bells ring (the big bells actually make a racket to wake the dead).

They do sell door alarms for hotel doors, but they were like $100. You can get the necklaces at the dollar store for $1 and they come 12 in a package.

This can be used for small children, or even as a safety alarm.

Oh, and I almost forgot my other tip.

We are disaster-prone travelers.

Everytime we plan a vacation, some sort of natural disaster occurs. We've been to Disney during THREE hurricanes. Two in WDW, one on the cruise. We've been through an earthquake, flash flood and tornado.

Needless to say, we are vacation preppers!

I have a red bag that I always toss in the bag. In it are Flashlights and extra batteries. A weather radio, deck of cards, battery lantern for the room, first aid kit, etc.

We always stay in a DVC site, so we always have a kitchen in the room. We always make sure that even if we don't plan on eating much in the room, we at least have a case of water, bread, and PB & J.

That being said, trust me, there is no better place in the world (other than home) then Disney during a disaster. They have it down to a science and keep you so informed and calm. After being confined to the rooms during the hurricanes, they made sure every room had 3 meals a day delivered (sandwiches, chips etc). Cast members stayed on each floor. They had treasure hunts in the hallways for the kids when it wasn't so bad. They had Belle, Pluto and Goofy in a conference room reading and entertaining the kids. They had a makeshift bar for the parents in another conference room. They even alerted us in the middle of the night when the winds got too hard and we needed to pull our pillows and blankets into the hallways for safety. They made sure that if any family needed baby food, formula or diapers that they had them. Cast/Crew members were awesome!

And Packing Cubes are the bomb!

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/packing-cubes-3pc-set/13032?productid=949922
packing-cubes-suitcase.jpg

They save tons of space, organize your bag and when used in your carry on, make going through security a breeze!

When we arrive at our destination, all we have to do is pull the cubes out and stick in the drawers.

I bought different colors by person. So DH gets Blue, DS gets Green and I get Pink. I have all sizes, so the smaller ones I roll socks and underwear into, the medium and larger ones are for tops and bottoms. Shoe bags are for shoes. Then I have one in yellow to organize all of our toiletries and toss in's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter