• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is your not so normal item to pack, which is helpful while at WDW ?

Our Brita water bottles worked GREAT! Also hydrocolloid bandages for blisters- found small 8ct packs at Walgreens!

Thanks everyone for the tips. We have 17 days to go so excited and worried about the long drive there LOL

Upthread, someone mentioned a plastic bag to put all of the travel books in.

I buy electronic versions of travel guides and put them on my Kindle. And for brochures, I download them off the Internet, and transfer them to my Kindle. No clutter.

However, you still need the brochure if there is a coupon attached to it. :confused3

I love my Kindle and bring it everywhere. I love having lots of books in one place. But I never thought to put brochures on it before. I'll have to keep that in mind.

If you wear glasses all the time, be sure to bring an extra pair, a pair of old ones will do they don't have to be current. This is so you can go on rides like Space Mountain wearing the old ones, and take the chance of losing *them* instead of your current ones. I use the hard case they give most times at the eye doctor to store my current glasses in my bag and wear the old ones on "shaky" rides.

I had fun reading this thread! :)

BlueStarryHat said:
If you wear glasses all the time, be sure to bring an extra pair, a pair of old ones will do they don't have to be current. This is so you can go on rides like Space Mountain wearing the old ones, and take the chance of losing *them* instead of your current ones. I use the hard case they give most times at the eye doctor to store my current glasses in my bag and wear the old ones on "shaky" rides.

Never even thought of this! My DH loses glasses alot lol. This is perfect thank you!!

And if you forget, WDW sells sports straps for glasses. DH has two now, and they're both packed for this trip! :)

That's a good idea! DH sometimes wears glasses and sometimes contacts. He's never lost glasses, but sometimes they get splashed or sprinkled on and then he has to stop and clean them.

Really great tips here! Although with all the repeats it could have been condensed quite a bit......people must post without reading! :scratchin

I have a couple ideas that I'm pretty positive haven't been mentioned....

I plan to organize all my pills (ibu, beano, vitamins, tums, pepto pills, arnica etc..) in one of those jumbo daily pill organizers. Maybe label them on the bottom. Should cut down on all the containers rolling around in my toiletry bag!

I found a clear plastic backpack today at job lots for $2! Which excited me because I thought that maybe it would be easier to get through the bag check, and also deter people from grabbing my bag if they see that there is only a change of clothing in there.....not to mention the fact that it is water resistant (and I can put the bag that I will be carrying in it if it rains)

This has been mentioned but having an extra pair of undies saved my day at the park last time we went. Late August.... changed mid day and tossed the old ones away and also changed from shorts to a skirt. I couldn't believe how much better I felt. I don't think I will ever do shorts in the park again. Skirts are so much more comfortable for me!

Re: pills. We take several vitamins a day between us. Instead if taking each bottle I went to the craft section at Walmart and got a small bead organizer for a dollar. Each section holds more than enough for the 10 days we'll be gone.

If you are a contact lens wearer, pop a spare pair or two in your park bag - especially if you wear daily disposables. My DH lost a lens on a ride and spent the rest of the time effectively blind (he is very short sighted). Fortunately it was nearly the end of the day but it could have been a nightmare.

Also, if you aren't used to the heat / humidity they can become uncomfortable. Putting a new pair of lenses in half way through the day can a quick freshen up.

Making my way through this post with my excel spreadsheet open and amazon open in another tab. Only on page 36......

:sings: "must keep reading, must keep reading, must keep reading!"

OK so I know this really isnt a packing tip and more of just a "while you are there tip". DH and I are from Maine. Even in the winter it gets REALLY hot for us...after all we are used to wearing a snowsuit year round :) We stayed at pop the first year it opened and have been doing this ever since the CM tipped us off to this idea. The A/C units have a sensor that senses motion. So when we would walk into our room it was REALLY hot. He told us next time we were at a park right before we leave purchase a balloon. If you tie it to the room chair and have it in the middle of the room where the fan blows it will set off the motion sensor and keep moving which will keep the room nice a cool :woohoo: It worked!!! and now whenever we go I always pick up a cheap balloon and our room is always nice and cool

My inner hippie cries at the wasted energy, my inner "OMG IT'S SO FLIPPING HOT!" whiner says "Ooooh, good idea!"

Thanks everyone for the tips. We have 17 days to go so excited and worried about the long drive there LOL

I just saw this and had to chuckle. We are also in Missouri and planning to leave on the 18th. And SO nervous about the drive there. Ugh. Such a long drive!

I just saw this and had to chuckle. We are also in Missouri and planning to leave on the 18th. And SO nervous about the drive there. Ugh. Such a long drive!

We are very worried about the drive too. My husband can't go because of work so me and the kids are going with my parents. My kids are 16, 13, 8, and 5. My sister is going to and she's 14. So it could be a very bad drive down there and back lol. My dad is going to drive through the night so we are hoping they will sleep a lot of the way there. Can't wait to go even with the horrible drive lol

I all! I thought I would share a packing list we get together in the weeks before going to Disney. It is a list of 22 things you might have never thought to bring!

Hope it helps!
Go here to see the whole list - and there's a printable version as well. (Just paste the link into your browser)

latteandlegos.com/latte-stuff-for-you/disney_packing_list/

Stephanie

I'm so jealous - :worship: we don't leave until December.

We also drive from Missouri. It's not really that bad. The key is to stop more often than you have to :sad2: (you know, for potty breaks or food) and stretch a bit. Of coarse, we all usually take the chance to use the RR too...so there are very few emergency stops for full bladders lol...We like to stop at Truck Stops, or stations with Mini-Marts. The restrooms are usually clean, and we can poke around the store while waiting our turn.

My DH will not have his coffee at breakfast :coffee: - this ensures a break fairly early in the day for his coffee...usually a McDonlads Coffee...and sometimes I pick up a cold OJ for me. Sometimes, (when the weather is nice) I'll just sit at one of the outside tables to wait for the others.

At one such stop, my older kids once picked up a really old fashioned car Bingo game (you remember the ones - where you had to find things along the road like a pig or a railroad crossing?) No one ever yelled "Bingo" but they spent a great deal of the trip trying to find a tractor or a windmill and making fun of all the pictures. :rolleyes2 By the end of the trip, they had come up with alternative items to substitute for the most outdated ones (ie a cell phone tower for a windmill). They bring it every trip and now they try to find more "oldie" games at all our "just because" stops. After all what kid doesn't love to make fun of the Old Days. :confused3

The only rule is "keep it short". I know it seems like a waste of good road time, but it really doesn't take that long, and makes the trip easier on everyone.

Relax and enjoy..... Have a great trip!!!!!

Hi! I have a list of 22 oddball items we packed for our trip. You can see it here:
www {dot} latteandlegos {dot} com

Hope it helps!
Stephanie

This might not be that weird, but I pack color coded trash bags for dirty clothes. That way when I get home, I can dump my whites, darks, etc right in the wash. More neurotic than weird I guess.

At one such stop, my older kids once picked up a really old fashioned car Bingo game (you remember the ones - where you had to find things along the road like a pig or a railroad crossing?) No one ever yelled "Bingo" but they spent a great deal of the trip trying to find a tractor or a windmill and making fun of all the pictures. :rolleyes2 By the end of the trip, they had come up with alternative items to substitute for the most outdated ones (ie a cell phone tower for a windmill). They bring it every trip and now they try to find more "oldie" games at all our "just because" stops. After all what kid doesn't love to make fun of the Old Days. :confused3

We have these from the 70s and I keep them in my car just because. My son keeps asking me what a Cola sign is. :lmao:

Great ideas! I'm still working my way through this thread & have been inspired to finally join Pinterest as a way to keep track of ideas, lol! We are going in Oct as a celebratory family vacation after I finish grad school, so as much as I love the Disney planning my brain is mush at the moment.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I plan on making blank memory books for all 3 kids (w/ photo pages & plenty of pockets). They can decorate the cover & pages on the drive down, then will have a place to keep all the little 'souvenirs' they pick up around the campground & the parks. After the trip, they'll have a place to put pictures they took on the trip as well :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter