• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is wrong with the Mayor of Baltimore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thugs and rioters dehumanize themselves with their behavior.
There are people in this thread dehumanizing others. The ignorance is almost disturbing. People are saying we should be focusing on black on black crime because that happens more often. But why does it happen? No one wants to put in the effort to understand that. :rolleyes2

I live just northwest of Baltimore and I have students that are probably involved in this mess. I can say that the gloves come off when the NG hits the ground. The looters had better hope they are off the streets by then. Military will be working with completely different rules of engagement than the police. I encourage my students to exercise their First Amendment rights to free speech and peaceful protest, but this is unacceptable. Violence only proves the point that the police sometimes have to respond with violence. I am not saying the police in Baltimore were right in the Freddie Gray incident or not, whether excessive force was used or not, or whether it was a freak accident that occurred when apprehending a fleeing felon. It does not excuse the criminals and opportunists for what they are doing.

Every student who takes in your message, comprehends its meaning and lives their life according to it is another step closer to break this cycle.

Sickening and scary to see this going on. I am fearful we are headed for another summer of '68. Our country cannot afford this. I know for certain if Detroit erupts it will never bounce back.

There is no African-American Revolution. The surprise is that there hasn't been one. Their history is far and away one of docility in the face of severe oppression. The harm we see being done today is from a deep psychological wellspring.

Your post was well thought out and I enjoyed reading it. But, I must say that the harm we see being done today is totally self inflicted. We, as Black Americans, have more opportunities than most people.

I have said it before and I will say it again, being black allowed me to go to college for free. I had to prove myself once I got there, but I know that is how I got there and how I had it paid for.

Being black (and a female), allowed me to be employed in a job immediately. I work my tail off and I am very good at my job, but I know I got it because I am female and black. I keep that job because I make myself the best I can be.

What people (black and white) have to stop doing is blaming others. They need to have babies they can afford to feed and they need to keep their families intact. If you are poor, and especially black, there are opportunities for you beyond your wildest imagination. This nation is set up to hand you everything you need on a silver platter. Free breakfast? Free lunch? Free childcare? Free education? You have it all waiting for you. And then you can better yourself and move on in your life.

Your side of the bargain will simply be to stay in school, stay off the streets, and respect yourself. When you have children, make sure they know they will not be anything but the best if they try hard enough. Stop living in the past. It's not that difficult.

I blame this more on socio-economics than being black. Believe me, not all black people are into looting and burning:rolleyes1 I am watching this with disgust and so are most blacks.

And I do not believe Stephanie Rawlings-Blake is not equipped to run the city. Thanking the Nation of Islam for their support and their presence? She is either a defiant radical or really needs to do some research.

Again, not all blacks support this garbage.

YOU ARE SO RIGHT!!! MOST BLACKS ARE LOOKING ON IN DISGUST while the entire nation is judging our entire race for the actions of these fools. I live here in MD - not in Baltimore thank goodness but I do however work in downtown Baltimore for the University of MD medical center, which to those of you not familiar with our city is a stone's throw away from Camden Yards our ball park. Our hospital let non essential employees go yesterday at 3, I wasn't able to leave immeadiately do to my clinic preperations for my surgeons not being complete but a little after 4pm I was swiping out and on my way home via our light rain train system. I had no issues what so ever. Today, I'm staying at home not due to fear but simply because I had originally requested this day off to accompany my 9yr old daughter's class on her field trip which happened to be in the downtown area. Found out via the local news (which by the way I stopped watching because my blood was boiling) that all field trips into the city were canceled for the rest of the week.

Senseible people realize that this stopped being about Freddie Gray a long time ago. As one previous poster has stated already this is now about a free for all and not in the name of justice but in the name of themselves. How a group of people can take a man's death and make it all about themselves is the final act of selfishness as far as I'm concerned. However, I put a lot of the blame on the organizers of the so called peacful protesters themselves. Why didn't they go to the media prior to the start of everything and make a public plea for those who are using this situation for self gratifying purposes to stay away is beyond me. Letting people know that rioting, looting and destroying businesses (especially the ones right where you live) is not helpful to the cause and it does nothing to help if anything it only continues to further fan the flames of racial and social injustices. Let them know that their presence is not welcome. Had they done that from the start maybe, just maybe it would have helped. Maybe by letting them know that the legit protestors wouldn't support such violence would have effected the outcome. However, to sit back and say nothing sends a much louder message of support than anything.

As a law abiding black citizen of this country I have said many times over to those who think that since we may share similarities in regards to the hue of our skin that not all (in fact the majority) of black people sit back and don't speak out against things like this. We do it at work, in our private lives together, at churches, at community events and the like but it doesn't reach the average attention of America. We aren't considered what will sell papers or making an interesting 10pm news story. These actions often get over looked by the media but when this all goes down then it's spread all over every news media outlet and the entire country looks on with sweeping sentiments. I don't approve of what is going down here in the city I call my backyard. This by no means is who Baltimore is. This by no means speaks for all of our citizens - black, white or otherwise. May those directly dealing with the death of Mr Gray find peace and may those who have brought shame on our city as a whole be punished for their lawlessness.

Our mayor has never had my respect and how she has chosen to handle this situation only shows her lack of true leadership capabilities.

Somehow I knew there would be a thread here on the DIS expressing outrage over the rioting. Meanwhile Walter Scott's murder didn't even warrant a mention here. The DIS is mirroring the sentiment the general public seems to be expressing; that destruction of retail space is, essentially, more devastating than the loss of black lives.

That said, it's horrifying to watch this unfold and I can only wish for the safety of everyone in Baltimore during this time. But I'm lacking the ignorance and naivete needed to jump on the righteous indignation bandwagon here.

Did you bother to create a thread mentioning Walter Scott's murder to bring it into discussion here? If not, why not? Why is it appropriate for you to denigrate others for doing what you failed to do? Please enlighten the ignorant and naive, it may be helpful.

It's incredibly ignorant to suggest this is about retail space. Unfortunately the media is heavily covering the CVS. What happened to the CVS is important mostly in the sense that people will lose their jobs, at least temporarily, and those in a severely underserved market will lose this access for an indeterminate amount of time. Upthread someone was making light of the fact a liquor store was being destroyed. That's probably a family's entire livelihood, possibly for generations. Hilarious. I'm sure the families whose homes are above the liquor store and the other businesses are yukking it up at being displaced, terrorized and likely losing their homes and possessions. No biggie, they should just book a WDW trip and forget their troubles.

Your post was well thought out and I enjoyed reading it. But, I must say that the harm we see being done today is totally self inflicted. We, as Black Americans, have more opportunities than most people.

I have said it before and I will say it again, being black allowed me to go to college for free. I had to prove myself once I got there, but I know that is how I got there and how I had it paid for.

Being black (and a female), allowed me to be employed in a job immediately. I work my tail off and I am very good at my job, but I know I got it because I am female and black. I keep that job because I make myself the best I can be.

What people (black and white) have to stop doing is blaming others. They need to have babies they can afford to feed and they need to keep their families intact. If you are poor, and especially black, there are opportunities for you beyond your wildest imagination. This nation is set up to hand you everything you need on a silver platter. Free breakfast? Free lunch? Free childcare? Free education? You have it all waiting for you. And then you can better yourself and move on in your life.

Your side of the bargain will simply be to stay in school, stay off the streets, and respect yourself. When you have children, make sure they know they will not be anything but the best if they try hard enough. Stop living in the past. It's not that difficult.

THIS GIRL GETS IT! THANK YOU!

What's nothing new and disgusting is Police forces getting away with using tactics like "rough rides" which result in a citizen's death... Nothing will ever change until these types of practices are eradicated. These types of events are the spark that ignite decades upon decades worth of anger, frustration, and hurt.

Absolutely all of that idiocy has to stop. It simply cannot be tolerated in a civilized society. Our police need to protect and serve the people.

The destruction that's spilling out here is not only pointless, it's mistimed as well. I've spoken with several professionals in law enforcement and the justice system and they all agree it's likely the authorities would like to be publicly demonstrating the beginnings of the legal process in the case but are prevented from doing so thus far because the exact circumstances are still murky. The autopsy may have filled in some blanks, but possibly not conclusively enough to state Colonel Mustard did it in the library with the candlestick so to speak. The authorities are in the position of desperately wanting to bring this into the legal arena, but realize they have to have their facts straight or risk losing the case. Can you imagine the debacle if they are unable to prove what happened in a courtroom? I suspect there has been a very large team combing over every single particle of dust they can come up with in the Gray case to make sure they can slam dunk this in court.

I live near Baltimore, so have access to local news that is doing a WAY better job of covering the issue than CNN. As many have pointed out, that quote wasn't related to last night's rioting and was clearly taken out of context.

I also think it's important to note a huge difference between Baltimore and Ferguson. Baltimore is led primarily by African Americans. The mayor, police chief, and now General of the MD National Guard are all african american. The clergy - from all denominations - have been very active yesterday and overnight in trying to get things calmed down. I hope that means things will calm down more quickly.

This is probably the best article I've read about the whole thing:
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...in-baltimore-requires/391598/?utm_source=SFFB

Some key quotes:
"As CNN broadcast scenes of young people looting a CVS pharmacy and police cars burning in the streets, its commentators, including anchor Wolf Blitzer, criticized Baltimore officials for allowing such flagrant lawlessness to transpire. "I keep asking where are the police," he said. "They seem to be invisible." In fact, law enforcement had come under attack by high school students throwing cinder blocks, dispersed that crowd, and had officers massed at several spots, just not the particular corner where the news helicopter trained its cameras. The anchor treated truths not captured on CNN's video feeds as if they didn't exist. Americans should avoid that sort of myopia."

"It is perfectly possible to laud police heroes, lament injured police officers, and excoriate bad cops for undermining their colleagues and their community. "

"But a subset of Baltimore police officers has spent years engaged in lawbreaking every bit as flagrant as any teen jumping up and down on a squad car, however invisible it is to CNN. And their unpunished crimes have done more damage to Baltimore than Monday's riots. Justice also requires that those cops be identified and charged, but few are demanding as much because their brutality mostly goes un-televised. Powerless folks are typically the only witnesses to their thuggery. For too long, the police have gotten away with assaults and even worse. The benefit of the doubt conferred by their uniforms is no longer defensible."

And the money quote, quoted from Martin Luther King, Jr:
We have lived over these last two or three summers with agony and we have seen our cities going up in flames," Martin Luther King declared in a 1968 speech. "And I would be the first to say that I am still committed to militant, powerful, massive, non-violence as the most potent weapon in grappling with the problem from a direct action point of view. I'm absolutely convinced that a riot merely intensifies the fears of the white community while relieving the guilt."

Yet while he felt that "we must always work with an effective, powerful weapon and method that brings about tangible results," he added, "it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard."

They showed this morning of what appeared to be a mom going out looking for her trouble making son. whopping his butt all the way back to the car! I applaud her.We need more moms like her.

Do you honestly think that THESE fools represent the actions, thoughts, emotions, and consciences of an entire city? Come now you're way to smart for that - rethink your comment.

I guess I should have said the the troublemakers of this city, I guess the people was to broad of statement.

The mayor of Baltimore should not be thanking members of the Nation of Islam when they are coming together with the Bloods and Crips gang members. As it clearly shows in the picture with the link provided the NOI members are giving the extended forefinger salute representing allegiance with ISIS.

http://theconservativetreehouse.com...ocates-the-nation-of-islam-for-their-support/

You know that meeting was actually an enormously positive and very unusual thing, right? You have three competing gangs - perhaps the most well known gang-on-gang hatred - coming together to urge calm and offer their support to get things back under control. Think about that. The bloods and the crypts sat down together in a room, discussed things, and spread word to their folks to knock off the crap. That's amazing and awesome. And yes, I would think that deserves at least a little bit of praise and appreciation.

Dopey Dame I wish you had provided a link to Martin Luther King Jr's. speech March 1968 ( I have below ) and not just picked out some of it because it puts another light on things when the rest of the paragraph is included:

" And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity. "

This was 1968 less than 2 decades after things like separate water fountains, sit in the back of the bus, negroes need not apply, etc. This is not the world we live in. Chocolate Cake poster upthread as a black female gave her thoughts on life as it is now.

So no, no excuses for riots.

http://www.gphistorical.org/mlk/mlkspeech/

This is probably the best article I've read about the whole thing:
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...in-baltimore-requires/391598/?utm_source=SFFB
Off to read the article.

And the money quote, quoted from Martin Luther King, Jr:
We have lived over these last two or three summers with agony and we have seen our cities going up in flames," Martin Luther King declared in a 1968 speech. "And I would be the first to say that I am still committed to militant, powerful, massive, non-violence as the most potent weapon in grappling with the problem from a direct action point of view. I'm absolutely convinced that a riot merely intensifies the fears of the white community while relieving the guilt."

Yet while he felt that "we must always work with an effective, powerful weapon and method that brings about tangible results," he added, "it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard."
Dr King was a wise man.

The bloods and the crypts sat down together in a room, discussed things, and spread word to their folks to knock off the crap. That's amazing and awesome. And yes, I would think that deserves at least a little bit of praise and appreciation.

No. The Bloods and the Crips made a truce and formed an alliance so they could "take out Baltimore cops". These gange are at the forefront of the destruction.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...-freddie-gray-gang-threat-20150427-story.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter