What is wrong with a cupcake?

TeresaWen

DIS Veteran
Why is there so much anger over folks going to breakfast at BOG and only getting desert when it is often something suggested during dinner hours? If fact people are often told to go ahead and book an ADR anywhere and just order desert.

I plan on doing this on my next trip. Since I workout hard in the mornings, I eat a very early breakfast in my room (usually eggs and turkey) before hitting the fitness center. A cupcake and some coffee would be a nice morning treat while on vacation. If it could get me and my husband to enjoy a less crowded main street stroll all the better.

Please don't give me the evil eye while I am enjoying my snack.

Why is there so much anger over folks going to breakfast at BOG and only getting desert when it is often something suggested during dinner hours? If fact people are often told to go ahead and book an ADR anywhere and just order desert.

I plan on doing this on my next trip. Since I workout hard in the mornings, I eat a very early breakfast in my room (usually eggs and turkey) before hitting the fitness center. A cupcake and some coffee would be a nice morning treat while on vacation. If it could get me and my husband to enjoy a less crowded main street stroll all the better.

Please don't give me the evil eye while I am enjoying my snack.
BoG breakfast was announced as a fixed price meal. The original expectation was that everyone would be charged, just like any other fixed price meal. Then, people realized you could order kids meals and fewer meals. It's become a way to get into the park before it opens for very little cost. Now, Disney has announced a ~$70 "early entry" package.

So, the anger seems to be two-fold; 1) people are exploiting a loophole to gain early access and 2) that concept seems to have resulted in Disney "fixing" the problem by creating a new, paid event.

I think Disney would have created this new event even if every guest was purchasing a $24 breakfast. What they discovered, imo, is that people were willing to pay just to get in early to ride 7DMT, and now they are going to capitalize on it. I blame the train!

Yes, BOG breakfast began as a prix fixe, but that quickly went out the window. If Disney had wanted to enforce it, they would have.

I also think many here on the Dis don't really grasp what a loophole is. Using a second set of magic bands to gain additional fastpasses is a loophole of their computer system. It is not something offered or encouraged by Disney. Ordering an item from a menu is NOT a loophole! Disney offers the cupcake, and they set the price. There is nothing stated anywhere by Disney that a guest cannot purchase just a cupcake. Many do this for lunch and dinner and nobody frowns upon it.

OP, I'm going to BOG breakfast for just a cupcake, too. My motive is not nefarious. I love the theming and couldn't get a lunch ADR for my cupcake and coffee. The only ADR to come available for a party of 6 in the last month, when I planned this last minute trip, has been PPO breakfast.

Last edited:
I think Disney would have created this new event even if every guest was purchasing a $24 breakfast. What they discovered, imo, is that people were willing to pay just to get in early to ride 7DMT, and now they are going to capitalize on it. I blame the train!

Yes, BOG breakfast began as a prix fixe, but that quickly went out the window. If Disney had wanted to enforce it, they would have.

I also think many here on the Dis don't really grasp what a loophole is. Using a second set of magic bands to gain additional fastpasses is a loophole of their computer system. It is not something offered or encouraged by Disney. Ordering an item from a menu is NOT a loophole! Disney offers the cupcake, and they set the price. There is nothing stated anywhere by Disney that a guest cannot purchase just a cupcake. Many do this for lunch and dinner and nobody frowns upon it.

OP, I'm going to BOG breakfast for just a cupcake, too. My motive is not nefarious. I love the theming and couldn't get a lunch ADR for my cupcake and coffee. The only ADR to come available for a party of 6 in the last month, when I planned this last minute trip, has been PPO breakfast.
Thank you! Heck - we are not even looking to go on any attractions! Just enjoy walking around the MK. Maybe a loop on the railroad and of course my favorite- the people mover.

Because they're not booking BOG breakfast because they want to go to BOG. They want to get into the park early to have first shot at 7DMT. So if you wanted to actually eat breakfast at BOG, and you couldn't get a reservation, then you see that reservations are being booked by others who aren't interested in BOG at all (even to just look at it, which is what the cupcake orderers at lunch and dinner really want to do because they don't get first shot at any rides) then it must be a bit frustrating. But it is obviously not something that bothers Disney at all or they would change it.

I am agreeing that this morning event is not being created to punish those folks though. Disney needs to make a little extra revenue and it's going to try doing it when the park would otherwise be closed. Some are finding that frustrating as well, but they may be the ones who appear to have showed Disney that maybe they could sell the ability to get into the park early and ride 7DMT.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to doing both! Does that make me a 'bad' person??? Breakfast at BOG yay! AND early entry??? Win win! Although I hope this new FL thing doesn't mess with my 'evil' plans and those of the day we go to Crystal Palace. :)

Because they're not booking BOG breakfast because they want to go to BOG. They want to get into the park early to have first shot at 7DMT. So if you wanted to actually eat breakfast at BOG, and you couldn't get a reservation, then you see that reservations are being booked by others who aren't interested in BOG at all (even to just look at it, which is what the cupcake orderers at lunch and dinner really want to do because they don't get first shot at any rides) then it must be a bit frustrating. But it is obviously not something that bothers Disney at all or they would change it.

I am agreeing that this morning event is not being created to punish those folks though. Disney needs to make a little extra revenue and it's going to try doing it when the park would otherwise be closed. Some are finding that frustrating as well, but they may be the ones who appear to have showed Disney that maybe they could sell the ability to get into the park early and ride 7DMT.

I also think that Disney recognized that people would pay for a cupcake to see the inside of the Castle. I don't see any issues with this. I always wondered why Disney chose not to enforce the Fixed Price menu for breakfast, but since they did not, who was I to challenge anyone? I do nto see it any differently than a couple who books a prime time ADR at CG and orders dessert and coffee, and also gets to enjoy WIshes from that spectacular vantage point. If DIsney said no, they would charge a cover. Same holds true for BOG IMO.

I do thnk the anger is misplaced. I do not think I woudl pay the money for either the morning or the evening magic, but I do not begrudge those who would.

I think the anger is directed in two ways...

One - some may feel that someone just having a cupcake or a coffee (or both) are taking a table away from someone interested in eating a full meal. They feel that it's unfair for that person to take up an ADR time if they're just gonna have a cupcake or use it as an excuse to see the castle.

Two - And this is almost laughable as I type it (but true.) Restaurants generally don't like people who just order a dessert or drink. I'm going straight off my knowledge from Bar Rescue. Let's say you have a table of four and they all order cupcakes and a coffee. You're gonna make less money and a significantly lower tip off that table than you would off a table ordering a meal, appetizers and drinks. Although, I'm not sure Disney has to worry about money given that we're now paying for EMH... Sorry, still bitter.

I feel as though people could and should do whatever they want. Disney opens the ADRs at the 180-day mark. How you choose to use that ADR is up to you. Does it stink if you can't get BOG? Absolutely. But - everyone is given a fair chance to get the ADR. How you choose to use that ADR is up to you. BOG is very big. I do think they should consider opening a separate wing to dessert-only guests. But then again, that wouldn't really solve the "problem."

Do whatever you want. If Disney sees that there is a real problem, they'll add a minimum or like many restaurants, they'll make a rule that everyone at the table has to order an entree. Would be interesting to see them do a cupcake take-out... but it would ruin the allure.

I think the anger is directed in two ways...

One - some may feel that someone just having a cupcake or a coffee (or both) are taking a table away from someone interested in eating a full meal. They feel that it's unfair for that person to take up an ADR time if they're just gonna have a cupcake or use it as an excuse to see the castle.

Two - And this is almost laughable as I type it (but true.) Restaurants generally don't like people who just order a dessert or drink. I'm going straight off my knowledge from Bar Rescue. Let's say you have a table of four and they all order cupcakes and a coffee. You're gonna make less money and a significantly lower tip off that table than you would off a table ordering a meal, appetizers and drinks. Although, I'm not sure Disney has to worry about money given that we're now paying for EMH... Sorry, still bitter.

I feel as though people could and should do whatever they want. Disney opens the ADRs at the 180-day mark. How you choose to use that ADR is up to you. Does it stink if you can't get BOG? Absolutely. But - everyone is given a fair chance to get the ADR. How you choose to use that ADR is up to you. BOG is very big. I do think they should consider opening a separate wing to dessert-only guests. But then again, that wouldn't really solve the "problem."

Do whatever you want. If Disney sees that there is a real problem, they'll add a minimum or like many restaurants, they'll make a rule that everyone at the table has to order an entree. Would be interesting to see them do a cupcake take-out... but it would ruin the allure.

We have no idea if Disney considers any ordering patterns at BOG a problem. I have to think they are okay with it because instead of using BOG as their restaurant of choice for the magic mornings, they chose another. They have never enforced the fixed price menu...not from the day that BOG opened. They then offered the cupcake and beverage option.

Disney enforces what they want to enforce. And they make few exceptions once they make a decision, so we know that if they wanted to make the decision to "crack down" at BOG, it woudl have already happened. There are very few restaurants that offer views of Wishes that are outside of the parks, and those ADR's are coveted, yet Disney does not charge a premium (over what they already charge) if guests choose to order light. They never have a plate charge for sharing. For all of the costs we assume when we decide to dine on Disney property, Disney is pretty good at making allowances that suit individual families.

I really do nto think that the cupcake is the reason we are seeing these extra magic events. I think that Disney saw an opportunity and decided to see how to capitalize on it. WE will see how this works, both for Disney and for the guests. I just do not think it is fair to blame guests for inadvertantly doing what DIsney kind of encouraged.

We have no idea if Disney considers any ordering patterns at BOG a problem. I have to think they are okay with it because instead of using BOG as their restaurant of choice for the magic mornings, they chose another. They have never enforced the fixed price menu...not from the day that BOG opened. They then offered the cupcake and beverage option.

Disney enforces what they want to enforce. And they make few exceptions once they make a decision, so we know that if they wanted to make the decision to "crack down" at BOG, it woudl have already happened. There are very few restaurants that offer views of Wishes that are outside of the parks, and those ADR's are coveted, yet Disney does not charge a premium (over what they already charge) if guests choose to order light. They never have a plate charge for sharing. For all of the costs we assume when we decide to dine on Disney property, Disney is pretty good at making allowances that suit individual families.

I really do nto think that the cupcake is the reason we are seeing these extra magic events. I think that Disney saw an opportunity and decided to see how to capitalize on it. WE will see how this works, both for Disney and for the guests. I just do not think it is fair to blame guests for inadvertantly doing what DIsney kind of encouraged.

I didn't say the cupcakes are the reason we're seeing the EMH events, nor did I imply anything about Disney cracking down on what people order. I was just explaining to OP why people tend to be against it. :confused3

I didn't say the cupcakes are the reason we're seeing the EMH events, nor did I imply anything about Disney cracking down on what people order. I was just explaining to OP why people tend to be against it. :confused3

I know why folks are against it, I just think the anger is misplaced. I also think that the OP's bitterness is misplaced, She is doing what is allowed, But is upset that Disney may allow the cupcake but remove the Mine Train, which was never promised.

Me? I book BOG for a PPO breakfast, we all order a meal, and we take our time eating. We then set out to get in the SB queue for Peter Pan. I love that queue, and have never gotten on before the park opens. I gave up on the empty Main Street a long time ago, and while I understand why it is no longer so, I did enjoy that quiet walk to CP. Things change and we will never really be on the inside track to know why. So we guess, and we blame. But we really do not know.

BOG Breakfast is a QS not TS so enforcing a price-fix or eliminating sharing would be difficult. Even if they pre-charged for the meal, you are choosing your own seat so could reserve for 4 meals and find a table for 6.
With the MB technology, Disney could treat this like a ride and only with a reservation linked, could you get in - who knows.

Have your cupcake and coffee and enjoy!

I do wonder what is going to happen with the PPO reservations. People that paid $69 per adult for early entry may not be too happy if all of a sudden the other restaurant goers crowd their 'exclusive' park even if they wouldn't be able to get on the rides.

I know why folks are against it, I just think the anger is misplaced. I also think that the OP's bitterness is misplaced, She is doing what is allowed, But is upset that Disney may allow the cupcake but remove the Mine Train, which was never promised.

Me? I book BOG for a PPO breakfast, we all order a meal, and we take our time eating. We then set out to get in the SB queue for Peter Pan. I love that queue, and have never gotten on before the park opens. I gave up on the empty Main Street a long time ago, and while I understand why it is no longer so, I did enjoy that quiet walk to CP. Things change and we will never really be on the inside track to know why. So we guess, and we blame. But we really do not know.

Yeah, I totally forgot about the Peter Pan queue until we went on last year. It's really something, huh? Peter Pan is such an underrated ride that no one expects to have a high wait time.

Not at all bitter - just curious as to why early morning cup cake eaters at BOG receive scorn and are accused of abusing some "loophole". As far a I know, restaurants, including BOG, do not have rules - they have menus with prices. No one is using a loophole - they are ordering an item from a menu.

And I am clearly not bitter about loosing early access to attractions I was never interested in to begin with.

Probably going to schedule an adr a few late nights for desert since we dont usually order it with dinner :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter