What is with kids left unattended?

My son is five yrs old and sometimes I let him go in the mens room by hisself. He's very independent and I let him go every once in awhile alone. I'm always standing outside the door with it propped open and call his name at least 10 times!!! That way he feels like a big boy but yet I'm watching him. Also, if there's too many men in the bathroom at once, he doesn't go in. I'll take him to the ladies room. Now, when his father is with him, he goes in with him.

I think a kid should have some independence when it comes to the bathroom, but not all alone. Some of you may think that what I have just said is worng or what I'm doing is wrong, but that's how I handle my son. Plus, I think that it depends on the maturity of your child. But as far as leaving a child alone for almost an hour in the hot sun and you don't know about it, that's BS!!! :scared1: If that kid was sleeping, one of the parents should've stayed out and then when the other parent came back, then the other parent could've went. How horrible!!!!

Guys, I think you are forgetting one important fact. "Just because you can give birth doesn't make you a mother" Nowadays I'm sorry to say there are a whole lot of men and women I wouldn't leave a dog with let alone allow them near a child.

Here in Philly, there is a big controversy over a poor single mom who worked her fingers to the bone to insure her kids became successes as adults after dad left them high and dry. Unfortunately one son died on 9/11 and after 25 years of never seeing or speaking with the kid dad is trying to claim a 2 million dollar award. The sob's lawyer had the nerve to say "he doesn't have to prove he was a good dad, just the dad" Oooh I could choke him

Here we go with the criticisms because people don't do things exactly the way you do it. You do what you like with your child. I will do what I like with mine. If a parent chooses to leave their child in a hotel room- they have to deal with the consequences. I for one am a child counselor and if only people knew. Yes, most molesters are people children know, however, it is becoming more prevelant that strangers (usually men) will expose themselves to children, etc. My son is 7 and he will not be going into any bathroom alone. That is my choice. I am not knocking anyone who sends their child into the bathroom.

As far as the woman who told one of the posters that her son was too old. Just what is it that is done in a womans bathroom that a young boy can't see? Everything I do, I do in the privacy of the stalls.

My son just turned 9, and I rarely let him go to a public restroom alone. If it is a place we are very familiar with, and his friend is with him, they go together, but not by themselves. He is getting embarrassed sometimes now by going into the women's restroom with me, but he understands why. If other people don't like it, tough. He would NEVER go by himself at a place like WDW. We do utilize family or companion restrooms when they are available. I am paranoid, I guess, but I have been a victim of abuse, both by people I knew, and people I didn't.

I don't blame your DS. 9 is too old to be in the womens room.

I see nothing wrong with dropping kids off at supervised activities or practices like dance or sports. Parents do not have to hover every second of the day. Just when are these kids eve going to learn any independence. It isn't something that just appears, you have to learn it in small steps.

I would rather my child be a little bit embarressed that be molested or worse when left alone or allowed to go to the toilet by themselves. Not so long ago here there was an 8 year old girl raped and murdered when allowed to go to the female toilets alone. Her parents obviously thought she would be fine and would never have expected it. My kids are only 5 and 2 but it will be a long time before they are allowed to be that independent. Let them be embarrassed, I'm more concerned for their safety.

Gotta pipe in: my boy is now 17, and I took him w/ me into the ladies at least till age 9, but at 10, he had to suffer Mom standing by the door to the mens' room, and carrying on a conversation with him.

Every parent does what they personally think is best, and every parent can back up what they think is best with argument and logic. Personally, I think my kids have developed a strong sense of independence (too much sometimes :) ) and I've been a very protective mom.

What I don't get is why no one else noticed this child earlier? Someone should have said something before 45 minutes.

When I read someone post that I immediately thought if the stroller was parked in stroller parking which is what it said I think then the front of the stroller is usually facing away from crowds and traffic and if the people on either side of where she was parked did not come back for their stroller that is how so much time could have passed, but it is the parents to blame.

It is insane. I am having trouble with my 9 year old son because when we are out in public I will not let him use the mens restroom if his father is not with us.

I agree with you but be prepared to have people possibly flip out. I was on one thread where this turned ugly. I struggle with this whenever I am out wiht my boys alone.

Guys, I think you are forgetting one important fact. "Just because you can give birth doesn't make you a mother" Nowadays I'm sorry to say there are a whole lot of men and women I wouldn't leave a dog with let alone allow them near a child.

Here in Philly, there is a big controversy over a poor single mom who worked her fingers to the bone to insure her kids became successes as adults after dad left them high and dry. Unfortunately one son died on 9/11 and after 25 years of never seeing or speaking with the kid dad is trying to claim a 2 million dollar award. The sob's lawyer had the nerve to say "he doesn't have to prove he was a good dad, just the dad" Oooh I could choke him

I read that story too, what a creep!

The world is a scary place. If you want to keep your children with you in the restroom GOOD FOR YOU!!! I don't have any children, but can understand the embarassment for a 9 year old boy in the ladies restroom. But IMHO he's get over embarassment alot quicker then possible abuse. He'll understand when he's older. I'm surpised people would get angry with you about it. I'd ignore them, they can do what they want with their own children, I think you are being a good parent.

As for the poor 3 year old. I can't believe they would forget their own child. How irresponsible. :confused:

The world is a scary place. If you want to keep your children with you in the restroom GOOD FOR YOU!!! I don't have any children, but can understand the embarassment for a 9 year old boy in the ladies restroom. But IMHO he's get over embarassment alot quicker then possible abuse. He'll understand when he's older. I'm surpised people would get angry with you about it. I'd ignore them, they can do what they want with their own children, I think you are being a good parent.

As for the poor 3 year old. I can't believe they would forget their own child. How irresponsible. :confused:

My oldest son is 11 and very small for his age...could pass for 8. At large places like that he still accompanies me to the bathroom...too much can go on in the bathrooms and he often is finished before me and the other 2 younger kids and doesn't need to stand outside by himself...He was upset the other day because I don't trust him...tried to explain to him it is not him I don't trust.:sad2:

As far as the woman who told one of the posters that her son was too old. Just what is it that is done in a womans bathroom that a young boy can't see? Everything I do, I do in the privacy of the stalls.

EXACTLY! Not like they're going to see something they shouldn't - ohhh...she's fixing her hair! Oh no! She's washing her hands! :sad2: Women are not exposed in public bathrooms.

I'd be FAR more worried about a dad taking a 9 yr old girl into the men's room. The urinals are usually not enclosed so she COULD be exposed to - well... you know... :rolleyes1 (Thank heavens "Family Bathrooms" are becoming easier to find!)

I'm very protective of my DS (2 1/2 yrs old) and I'm sure I always will be. BUT I also know I need to let him have some freedom (as he gets older) to learn how to deal with life. We are trying to teach him how to make decisions now - and learning about consequences as well. (nothing that would harm him, of course) I know some people would say I'm too strict. But I want my child to understand that rules DO mean something and that if you don't follow them there will be consequences. If that means, as a mother, I have to "S-mother" him sometimes, then you bet. Not only do we teach responsibility by rules/discipline but also by our actions as parents.

I let my 8 year old go in the men's bathroom alone. Even at the mall where there is lots of people coming and going, I've never felt scared. Of course I've never stopped at the ghetto in st. louis or chicago. If its somewhere scary of course we wouldn't stop. He also sleeps in his own room even though there are reports of a few being kidnapped at night and he goes to school where there "could" be a shooting. I'm just not a big worrier about stuff like that.

Leaving a 3 year old alone in a hot stroller is pure abuse.

I let my 8 year old go in the men's bathroom alone. Even at the mall where there is lots of people coming and going, I've never felt scared. Of course I've never stopped at the ghetto in st. louis or chicago. If its somewhere scary of course we wouldn't stop. He also sleeps in his own room even though there are reports of a few being kidnapped at night and he goes to school where there "could" be a shooting. I'm just not a big worrier about stuff like that.

:thumbsup2

I agree. Don't parents or care givers realize that the perverts that pray on children hang out where children do???? I love Disney. I am a huge disney addict but even at disney I can't imagine leaving a child unattended!!!!! My heart goes out to the children that have been left for even a few minutes---just imagine how scared they must be!!!! As adults it is time to put children first on the time.

When we are the parents we get to decide what's best for OUR kids. No one should judge us on our choices to let our kids go to the BR alone or not. I have a DS10 and in the last 2 years I have let him go in alone but I stand right at the door and watch who goes in and out and I wouldn't have a problem going in if something didn't seam right. I have a friend that doesn't let her son go to the BR alone but lets him play in the front yard by himself. I feel the latter is much more dangerous

Things don't only happen in ghetto bathrooms. Go research some of the child molestation cases that happened that got a lot of media attention. It didn't happen in the ghetto. Please don't limit yourself to thinking that because a place looks "safe" or isn't the ghetto- it is safe. After all look at how many boys were molested in churches.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter