What is with kids left unattended?

U

Unregistered

First the little girl was left alone in her hotel room, then a 3 year old left alone for 45 minutes at WDW in the hot sun.

What is wrong with these parents? I know you can blink, look at a souvenir and they can disappear, but this is preventable.

My friend and I call each other smothers instead of mothers.

Our sons go to tae kwon do together and the amount of parents that just drop off their kids are just unbelievable. Out of 30 kids, usually we're the only ones that stay. Once somebody left a 2yo sibling sitting there alone for 45 minutes.

I agree with you. I am in the midwest and am upset by people that leave theri kids at the pool. Some are only 8 at the most, I would not do that.

When you open the DIS page it's on the bottom right side. I'm horrified. That poor baby left by itself at three years old. We know how HOT FL gets.

I just read the story. They should be tied to a stroller and made to sit in the hot sun......According to the story I read on wesh.com they said "They forgot about her" :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

That is insane. I don't understand some people. My son is 10, I just in the last week have let him be at our local pool by himself. But only then because I knew a mom from 2 houses down was their with her girls. I have been amazed at the number of people I have seen who take their small ones out on blazing sunny days with no hat, no shade, no cover at all and no consideration for how long they have been dragging these toddlers and babies around without naps and cool shade. It makes no sense.:sad2:

What I don't get is why no one else noticed this child earlier? Someone should have said something before 45 minutes.

It is insane. I am having trouble with my 9 year old son because when we are out in public I will not let him use the mens restroom if his father is not with us.

I wish this surprised me. My wife works at an elementary school and it's amazing how many parents don't even attempt to hide the fact that they consider their kids to be inconvenient. Stay-at-home parents regularly leave kids to the last second in after-school programs intended for families where both parents work. Many miss a huge amount of school because the parent couldn't be bothered with taking them, they show up in PJs, they have nothing but a bag of Cheetos (big bag, not snack size!) for lunch, etc...

I'm betting that hundreds of people noticed the kid but didn't say or do anything because of the expected response. I'd fully expect that a parent that would leave a kid sitting alone would also be the type to get extremely hostile if questioned about their parenting.

Can someone direct to the story about the child left unattended? I hadn't heard anything about it until this thread.

Oh, and it makes me think of something my grandmother used to say: "there's something wrong when you need a license to fish, but anyone can become a parent"

I'm a SAHM and I help out ds6's teacher twice a week for half a day. I see parents have full time nannies/au pairs that don't spend any time with their kids. We have SAHD(ads) here too and it's the same thing. They all want to go on the class trips and be at the parties, but don't want to help the teacher with mundane tasks.

It is insane. I am having trouble with my 9 year old son because when we are out in public I will not let him use the mens restroom if his father is not with us.

I have this same problem, I had one lady yell at me telling me my child was to old to be in the ladies room, she went on and on and on. The next day on the news a boy older than mine was molested in a bathroom...

That poor 3 year old. It doesnt surprise me at all.Theres always people leaving newborn babies in hot cars in the middle of summer while the parents go shopping.One of the things that really bothers me is where I live if someone leaves a dog in their car during the summer,the SPCA will come and break their window to let the dog out and the people will get charged.When people leave their babies in the car,nothing gets done.

I don't blame your DS. 9 is too old to be in the womens room.

I see nothing wrong with dropping kids off at supervised activities or practices like dance or sports. Parents do not have to hover every second of the day. Just when are these kids eve going to learn any independence. It isn't something that just appears, you have to learn it in small steps.

Why would someone do that? There are a lot of sick people in this world who could easily walk away with another persons child.

I don't blame your DS. 9 is too old to be in the womens room.

I see nothing wrong with dropping kids off at supervised activities or practices like dance or sports. Parents do not have to hover every second of the day. Just when are these kids eve going to learn any independence. It isn't something that just appears, you have to learn it in small steps.

At 9 you should allow your son the dignity of going to the toilet by himself. I stand by the mens door calling ds (9) name every now and then, bet you worse things happen in the school toilets! Dont know about US but over here more kids get abused by their relatives then strangers, it is just that the stranger danger makes better news headlines. Children need to have independence to grow and mature. IMHO i would hate being called a smother, I take my children to school and outside activities but step back and supervise without them being aware. They are allowed to develop friendships and play at other kids houses, we do not have the laws to allow us to check if these people are safe or not and in our experience its the ones that do not seem to be a danger usually are. We do need to protect our children but are they need to grow without fear and distrust.

As for leaving a 3 year old :headache: that is neglect :sad2:

During the summer, at our local library there are parents who drop their very young children off at 9:00 when the doors open and pick them up on the way home from work, usually between 5:00 and 6:00. These parents have taught their children how to sneak around in the library so they don't get caught!!:confused3 And what do these kids eat for lunch? They DON'T. Apparently it's everyone else's responsiblity to raise other people's kids.:confused3 Why should anyone be amazed at what's being done to children these days? I agree with the OPs - my son was about 10 when I finally let him go to the men's room alone - with me right outside the door!!! I just don't trust anyone these days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter