What is the significance of "sweet sixteen" birthday parties?

I read an article once advocating that parents should bring those ceremonies back. Like when a boy turns 12, he and his dad and uncles go into the forest, recite some mumbo-jumbo about the responsibilities of manhood, shoot a flaming arrow into the lake (or something), then have a giant bonfire and let the young lad have his first beer. That's what I would have done anyway, if I'd had a son.

Religion still serves that function for some. We're a family of pretty devout Episcopalians and we've promised the children a "pilgrimage" of their choice for their confirmations. The younger two haven't given it much thought, but my eldest would like to pay a visit to Madeleine L'Engle's memorial at St John's in NYC. Little does she know now, but the cathedral has regular sleepovers so I'm thinking of making a weekend of it with a trip to the MET's Cloisters, the sleepover in the cathedral, and the visit to the memorial.

I'm thinking my son, who so far is a "man's man" of a little boy, will want to go to one of the mountaintop chapels in a national or state park. Maybe he'll want me with him for the campout, or maybe just the guys in his life. Either way. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter