What is the deal with trash in the halls?

Originally posted by Hilary
. . . I'm sure it would make this kind of thing much less frequent an occurence if there was a simple list of 'tips to make your stay run smoothly' (or something similar) in each vacation home explaining all the 'little' things that new members can't be expected to guess.
Yes! Or have a sign under the sink indicating where the Trash Room is . . . or label the trash/recycling containers . . . or put one of those small paper information/advertising stand-up signs (e.g. Welcome, Spa, Pizza, etc. ) in the kitchen or near the emergency exit map on the front door. I don't think people are trying to be offensive, they just need to be informed of the routine.

We are at VB now and on the 4th floor of the INN , and we have not seen any trash outside anyones door the first 2 days here. Our floor(4th) has a laundry room with a garbage container, so we just take it there.
I agree that they should advise people when they are checking in.
P.S. Colleen....... I wouldn't worry about your post. Most posters enjoyed it.

Originally posted by Loubon
You were drunk in college????

PS If you penny in Rich while he is in the OKW GV that will give him more time to spend measuring the size of the room. :jester:
Got a good chuckle out of this one.....

While I agree that guests leaving trash in the hallways is scandalous, I, for one, would be VERY upset if I came back to my room, discovered housekeeping had left the trash by the door during trash and tidy (as is being reported happens on occation) and had a nasty note (or even a polite one) from a member telling me where the trash room is - or the trash hanging on my doorway.

Originally posted by crisi
While I agree that guests leaving trash in the hallways is scandalous, I, for one, would be VERY upset if I came back to my room, discovered housekeeping had left the trash by the door during trash and tidy (as is being reported happens on occation) and had a nasty note (or even a polite one) from a member telling me where the trash room is - or the trash hanging on my doorway.
If it was not housekeeping's fault and you were actually inconsiderately leaving your trash outside the door, which is the much more likely scenario, wouldn't a polite note allowing you to become aware of your error and correct it without any confrontation or embarassment be the most preferable method of communication?

I think it's a nice approach, addressing the problem in a polite non-confrontational manner, as long as the note is not nasty. If housekeeping left the garbage outside your particular door (wink-wink), you could in turn leave a polite note to the houskeeping person letting them know that leaving the trash outside your door reflected poorly on you to the point that someone left you a note, and that you'd appreciate if they would not leave trash outside your door, especially on non-trash and tidy days during thier non-working hours, when thay haven't done the same to anyone else, using the bags that happen to be identical to the ones you bought from publix that don't match any of the standard hotel trash bags......

I mean, come on, it's a note...... I think it's a good idea. Perhaps someone should slip a note to me regarding my peeing in the pool, politely asking me to refrain during busy periods, or limit such activity ......

Perhaps we could make sure we don't throw away any identifying information and then just put our trash infront of somone else's door, and now we can start leaving them a note asking them to throw our trash away for us, since we are to directionally and courteously challenged to be motivated and capable of finding the trash room.

P.S. Colleen.... your post was fine, and funny. Some folks need to take some of the uptight stuff and dial it down a notch.....

Gail,
I completely agree with your definition of Britney. Have you seen her latest new photos. Talk about sleezy. She is no role model for my dd's that's for sure.

Colleen, I knew you were just joking, I had never heard of the penny idea. We used to use panty hose to tie someones door to someone diagonally across the hall.:p If you tied one leg around one door knob and stretched the other leg to the other door knob, it would make it really hard (not impossible to open). (What can I say, we were really bored!) I'm sure my parents would be really proud, that this is what they paid good money for!!!

Anyway, about the trash issue. I really think the resort needs to mention it at checkin or hand it to you in some paper work. I really think most people are not aware what to do. I hate to think that housekeeping is telling people to leave it there. You know that some of those trash bags have got to leak and leave a mess on the carpet, not to mention an odor. I sure don't want to be paying dues to replace and clean something that is not necessary, if this is becoming a habit.

Originally posted by ErinC
Gail,
I completely agree with your definition of Britney. Have you seen her latest new photos. Talk about sleezy. She is no role model for my dd's that's for sure.
Haven't seen it, do you have a link? Maybe it is over the edge and I'm wrong....

I mean, come on, it's a note...... I think it's a good idea. Perhaps someone should slip a note to me regarding my peeing in the pool, politely asking me to refrain during busy periods, or limit such activity ......
P.S. Colleen.... your post was fine, and funny. Some folks need to take some of the uptight stuff and dial it down a notch.....
Oh, Captain! Be careful . . . Pal Mickey is rumored to be evolving into a watchdog . . . (jusy kidding!)

I think they were showing them on Entertainment tonight last night. Trust me, her body was just barely covered, and the poses were very risque'. She was clothed in leather patches, and a lace dress of some sort:confused: I just don't care for how everyone paints her as the all american girl. I sure don't want my kids thinking she's something to look up to. JMHO

Hey Nick and Cindy, glad to see you are able to post even from Vero Beach. Looking forward to a full report once you are back home...

I am glad to see a post from a real-live locksmith here, attesting to the fact that "pennying in" really does work. I still swear I was only joking about doing it, but I clearly recalled from college that if we were pennied in, we could NOT get out. Of course the dorm was abut 100 years old... In any case, recalling such nonsense is why I am glad I live in a town with a major university... NO WAY I am letting my kids live in dorms! I'd be up at night, worrying about drunks pennying them into their rooms, not to mention, LEAVING TRASH IN THE HALLWAYS!

Trust me, her body was just barely covered, and the poses were very risque'. She was clothed in leather patches, and a lace dress of some sort

Feel free to leave this "trash" outside my door but please let me know it is there.....;)

I think they were showing them on Entertainment tonight last night. Trust me, her body was just barely covered, and the poses were very risque'. She was clothed in leather patches, and a lace dress of some sort:confused: I just don't care for how everyone paints her as the all american girl. I sure don't want my kids thinking she's something to look up to. JMHO
She made 40 million last year and the year before. Her songs do not contain profanity, she's certainly attractive enough to pull off her outfits, besides her clothing, she portrays pretty good values, remarkable in comparison with others in the music industry, given this she still doesn't qualify as trash in my book.

We have all boys, perhaps it's easier.

she portrays pretty good values, remarkable in comparison with others in the music industry, given this she still doesn't qualify as trash in my book.

Living out in Ohio, you obviously don't get to read the NY Post all that often, do you?

CaptianMidnight,

If I left trash outside the door, a note would be a good idea. If housekeeping left trash outside my door and a fellow member choose to leave a note (even a nice note) on my door, or hang the trash on the door handle, I would be irate. Not knowing what member did it, I might see fit to leave "nice" notes on everyones door letting them know I don't leave my trash outside and they should mind their own business. (irony there, btw).

CaptianMidnight,

If I left trash outside the door, a note would be a good idea. If housekeeping left trash outside my door and a fellow member choose to leave a note (even a nice note) on my door, or hang the trash on the door handle, I would be irate. Not knowing what member did it, I might see fit to leave "nice" notes on everyones door letting them know I don't leave my trash outside and they should mind their own business. (irony there, btw).
Seems thou doth protest to much.... ;)

If one is not an offender, then taking such great offense to the point of being irate over potentially one misplaced note that politely helps solve a problem may indicate a level of guilt or something else...... are you sure you haven't left trash outside your door for others to contend with???????

Tell you what, if you'll leave the dates of your trips and the location and room number, and I happen to be there at the same time I'll avoid leaving a note on your door, or if I'm not there I'll use this forum to and ask all the other posters here that might be going at the same time you are to do the same and not put a note on your door if there happens to be trash outside your door (we could even have someone from this forum check your special door so there are no notes) so that you don't have to get irate and leave notes on everyone else's door......

Or.... how about this, maybe this is better, if I happen to be there the same time as you and I find nice notes on everyone's door including my own that explains how you don't leave trash outside your door, and telling everyone to mind thier own business, I'll know that somone put a note about trash on crisi's door and that it was done in error. Then, I'll go pick up the trash in front of your door and remove the trash left their for you, at least once. However, if everyone starts leaving thier trash at your door because of your "mind your own business note," and there's a huge mound of trashbags each day of your visit, I can't guarantee that I'll be continually removing them on your behalf. Maybe the first couple, but when all those notes generate backlash in your direction, I'll want to get out of the middle of it, my goal is polite reminders for people, not trash wars. Notes can be paid attention to or they can be ignored. Heck, perhaps the person is physically, mentally, socially or characterly challenged that somehow limits thier ability to remove trash bag obstacles from the halls.

By the way, I don't really subscribe to the tying the trashbag to the door part. The most would be a polite note.

I wonder how long it will take you to write all those "mind your own business notes" and tape them up on all the doors..... hmmmmm.... :rolleyes:

If I left trash outside the door, a note would be a good idea. If housekeeping left trash outside my door and a fellow member choose to leave a note (even a nice note) on my door, or hang the trash on the door handle, I would be irate.

I would just assume it's another member making their own rules, instead of addressing the issue with DVC. I would also then begin making a point of putting my trash in the hall every single day in the hopes of agitating the purpetrator really bad and spoiling his/her day.

Originally posted by Crissup
I would just assume it's another member making their own rules, instead of addressing the issue with DVC. I would also then begin making a point of putting my trash in the hall every single day in the hopes of agitating the purpetrator really bad and spoiling his/her day.
People might join you and put thier trash with your trash (outside of your door). Or, when polite notes don't work, someone may choose to knock on your door and discuss the issue with you personally and then you can report back to us as to how successful the purposeful aggitation was and who's day (or late night) ends up being spoiled.

I don't know that those would be my courses of action, but purposeful efforts to escalate rude, inconsiderate behavior have been known to backfire....

A polite note is the furthest course of action I would recommend, not purposeful aggitation from either side, after all, it's vacation time. Please don't jump to conclussions if you see me outside of a room where there's a trash bag and your've seen several notes the days before in different handwriting from different members and I'm asking if I could have a couple of pennies.... those pennies are for something else, something completely different, not the ideas shared previously in this thread that I've never actually heard of before.....:cool:

All right, enough rubbish.....

The proper way to escape one's room from a "pennying in" is to sit on the floor facing the door, brace your feet on the doorjambs, grab the door under the bottom, and pull forcefully toward you. This produces enough space between the door and jamb to cause the pennies to fall out. Then you open the door to find.....you have also been "papered in"!

Elaine

Having not taken my first trip home yet, I don't think I've been offending anyone with my trash, except my own neighbors here at home when I leave it out Monday evening when the rubbish company doesn't come until Tuesday afternoon. (OK, OK, I admit it, prior to becoming a DVC member, we'd visit the DVC resorts and leave trash outside the doors just to upset you guys).

(Did you miss the irony note? You know, the part where if leaving notes about trash is rude, leaving notes about leaving notes about trash is rude.)

It may be impolite to leave trash out your door. Its also impolite to correct someone for their impolite behavior. Its downright rude to correct someone for behavior when they were not guilty of the behavior in the first place. I do tend to get irate when someone accuses me without evidence of something I didn't do. Call me sensitive that way. You are bugged enough by trash outside the door to leave I note, I'm bugged enough of being accused of that level of rudeness when I am innocent to call DVC management and complain about your little note. Not escalation, since I didn't do anything rude in the first place.

Bring your notes, but bring a security camera so you can be sure mousekeeping isn't leaving the trash outside the door.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter