What I would do/not do next cruise

"Got Disney";49138038 said:
6) Go to bed earlier the last night of the cruise....I always stay up so late and regret it in the morning ALL day and night when I have to fly all the way back to Ca. pirate:

This point right here is the reason we no longer fly home the day we get off the ship. We too are way to tired to fly back to CA from FL after a cruise. We now always go back to WDW and wind down for a few days. Yup that's right wind down at WDW. Since we have DVC we know we are going back and don't need to do everything each trip.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards

This point right here is the reason we no longer fly home the day we get off the ship. We too are way to tired to fly back to CA from FL after a cruise. We now always go back to WDW and wind down for a few days. Yup that's right wind down at WDW. Since we have DVC we know we are going back and don't need to do everything each trip.

lol...we do this for a week or so prior the cruise...makes us wind down so we can relax on the cruise and have the Disney feeling when we get on....when we get right on the cruise from flying in the night before I feel it goes even faster.....

We are before people....and after we are ready to get home...after the cruise for us WDW does not do it for us :lmao:

Also you can stay at the airport at the Hyatt for a day room for $100...check in is at 10am and out by 6pm....can get the room and use the pool and everything that the hyatt has to offer.....for us worth the $100 bucks since we are so stupid tired when we get off the ship :thumbsup2

We are DVC members as well :)

I am from the old school idea that you should never pay for dinner on a cruise where dinners are included. Especially because there are so many things yet for me to try in the MDRs of Disney. (Unlike CCL. Pretty much know that menu with my eyes closed...)

I will be saving my $40 for the actual cruise itself! (or excursion, or tips...)

I agree. We will even go back to ship to eat while at port to not spend money. A very nice, big meal waiting for us on ship.

"Got Disney";49139395 said:
lol...we do this for a week or so prior the cruise...makes us wind down so we can relax on the cruise and have the Disney feeling when we get on....when we get right on the cruise from flying in the night before I feel it goes even faster.....

We are before people....and after we are ready to get home...after the cruise for us WDW does not do it for us :lmao:

Also you can stay at the airport at the Hyatt for a day room for $100...check in is at 10am and out by 6pm....can get the room and use the pool and everything that the hyatt has to offer.....for us worth the $100 bucks since we are so stupid tired when we get off the ship :thumbsup2

We are DVC members as well :)

Coming from CA we are before and after at WDW. Also I like the fact I know when I get off the ship knowing my vacation is not over yet.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

We did 4 days WDW prior and 2 days after (3 night Dream)and that was great...got a chance to finish what we didn't do earlier at Disney and it was excellent knowing our vaca didnt end with the cruise. Our two days after became a way to slowly get back to reality after the peacefulness and pampering of the cruise and Castaway Cay.

Spwhoney said:
I agree. We will even go back to ship to eat while at port to not spend money. A very nice, big meal waiting for us on ship.

I used to feel that way. Then I discovered local seafood in the islands. Sorry not even DCL can compete with that.. Its now one of the things I really really look forward to. Fresh mahi or conch happy dances! I keep it reasonable and don't spend a bunch on drinks. Local island seafood whoooppeee!!!!

I am in this camp as well. I just don't get paying for meals more than once. If you eat on port you just paid for a meal you did not eat, but who am I to criticize what one does with their money? Kinda like the cabanas, no matter how many different arguments I hear for the reasons to get one, I just can't go along with them. The same goes for eating on the ship or paying extra for food on the ship. Oh and before I get flamed for that, yes I did go to Palo on my first cruise for dinner, was not a fan. Never plan on going back. Now brunch is different, but since we are platinum, we don't pay. Ok enough of that.

The thing about going back to ship to eat while in port-you waste too much time. I go on cruises for BOTH the cruise and itinerary. I want to see the world and if I have to pay ten extra bucks to get to eat local cuisine that I may never have a chance to do then I will and not waste precious time walking back to ship. Plus most excursions feed you ( ones I have been on)

So a lot of people on here have said that next time they would skip the pirate party. Is it that bad? It is my first cruise and I was excited for pirate night.pirate: I have read other things that people really get into it and this is the first I have heard of people wanting to avoid it for their next cruise. So want to know if it's worth the hassle.

Just got off the 7nt Fantasy last week........Pirate night is great... I mean the whole experience..The pirate show and party are something for a first time cruiser you dont want to miss, but the show really isnt that great, it just leads you to the fireworks show that you should definately not miss. The after party is just a big dance on the pool deck, we stayed for about 10mins (if that long) before going to the pirate Buffet which definately should not be missed ( Turkey legs, Baked potato bar, Taco bar, and a crepe bar)...The buffet doesnt run very long so make sure you dont miss it

Cruised last wk on Fantasy for 7 nt Western , Shot straight to WDW ( Beach Club Villas) when we got off the ship.... still here leaving today... We didnt go to one park the whole time here... Relaxing by Stormalong bay, Fishing with the kids on Bay Lake, Pirate Cruise at the Grand Floridian for my two younger sons and a great Dinner at Victoria and Alberts with my wife.... Totally relaxed and ready to fly home now..

I agree - I can't even see a movie with popcorn for 20 bucks!!!

I'm looking forward to the Palo Brunch because to me its like an onboard excursion.

Now that said, I agree I wouldn't miss the MDR meals for a Palo or Remy dinner.

Hmmm. Well I don't know if it's because we do not have kids, but I could really take or leave most of the MDR experiences. It's a loud environment and slow service. Unless I'm indulging in a dining "experience" where it is quiet and peaceful, I'm more of the type to get in, eat, get out. Unfortunately, you have to "wait" for your table mates if they are not on time (in theory, last cruise our tablemates were no shows all cruise, but the server still "waited" to start our service), you have to "wait" for your main course until they are ready to start serving main courses to the entire dining room, and then you have to wait until your server actually gets to your table which in our case, as a two top was low on the priority list. I've also had experience of servers trying to "push" dessert options on us, when neither myself or my wife are dessert type people.

We have no kids. We travel as a family of 7-8 or so and got our own table so we were our own table mates..if we were late, that was our fault. :)

AP was a bit busy but it should be. EG, I remember thinking "where is everyone?" Our table was in the back and it was super relaxed and quiet. Could be because it was pirate night , not sure. All our MDR was relaxed and elegant and appropriately paced with out being slow.

We also had second seating. It was all perfect.

we had second seating on the magic and, having traveled with DGD who was 6, I can say that the first seating MAY have been a better option although it wasn't truly a "problem"...just a hunch I have.......

BUT we sat against wall in AP and it was HOT there.....I mean sweat on my forehead HOT!! I envy those who think a sweater is necessary!

as to pirate party....whole thing was cute....dancing, singing, Mickey on zipline...FIREWORKS!!!! the buffet was beautiful to look at but the people were perplexing to me.....

I mean, you just ate AND ALL THE FOOD IS FREE ALL THE TIME!!! WHY would you line up---jockey into position....stand in a rope line....at that hour of night....to get more food??? The crowds were, I resist saying frenzied, but I shall say excited and it was a substantial crowd (the ship was fully booked).....

it reminded me of the people who shove to the front to get a tidbit sized piece of a free microwaved hamburger at Costco or Sams....

so, in summation, go to the party.....it is great fun...if you like the buffet atmosphere ENJOY yourself! Who can judge what another might like? Some people like avocados, for crying out loud!!:lmao::lmao:

What a fun thread!

Will Do:
- Palo Brunch! The chicken parm is probably the best thing I've eaten on board and the dessert buffet is worth the money alone in my opinion!
- Dress up in costumes for Pirates night! It's so much fun and not something that is socially acceptable for adults at any other time here in Indiana :-)
- Bring a small size table fan for the side of my bed! I can't sleep without the white noise sound!
- Pack 1/2 the amount of clothes that I normally do. I always over pack. Always.
- Go to the adult shows late night after dinners! They are fun!
- Go to a mixology class! I haven't yet, but can't wait to do one in November on the Fantasy!
- Ride the aqua duck at night time... done it during the day but on a 4 night Dream last year, I didn't want to miss a show/MDR night to get into my suit

Will NOT do:
- Stress out. It's not worth it!
- Book too many excursions: I'm normally a very scheduled person but I tend to not enjoy myself as much when on vacation when I have to be at a certain place at a certain time day in and day out
- A facial or massage on board. I hate those hard sells and they always make me feel uncomfortable. I may opt instead for a pedicure!
- Remy ... while most LOVE it, it's TOO fancy for my hubby and I.

I had a running list in my head during my entire cruise so I could post in this thread! Sorry it got a little long!

Would do again:

- Gift card for lights, bathroom air freshener, printed address labels, lanyard (though my husband didn't bother with one, and I kept the kids' and my KTTW cards in mine, it was nice to know where they were at all times instead of searching pockets)
- Wear bathing suits on board
- Pre-order the wine package, and bring on board a bottle for our room
- Pack a separate cruise-only suitcase with dressy clothes and shoes and things we only needed for the cruise
- Make my boys wear shirts and ties on semi-formal optional night, they looked adorable and we got compliments from others on how nice they looked. I couldn't get over the kid at the table next to us in gym shorts and a tee shirt!
- Rent a car at the port, giving us time to explore Cocoa Beach
- Put my kids in their bathing suits when leaving the ship so they don't get their clothes soaked wave-jumping at Cocoa Beach!

Would do next time:
- Ask for an upgrade, we got there later in the boarding process and didn't bother to ask
- Order room service breakfast for the last morning, and then get breakfast somewhere nearby. We misread the breakfast options and were 30 minutes late for our early breakfast seating, stressing out us and our servers, and the kids weren't hungry since they'd been up late at the kids club and too tired to eat
- Force the kids to go to Villains and Mike Super shows, they would have loved both but didn't want to leave the kids club.
- Participate in a cruise meet thread, we were not seated at a table with others so it was just the 4 of us, so it would have been nice to meet others early on.
- Wait in lines for character meet & greets/attend Until We Meet Again the last night; Mickey and Minnie were on break when we were ready to board and the kids were getting cranky so didn't want to wait.
- Formal portraits on the semi-formal optional night
- Mixology class, or other adult activities. I do wish they had more for those with an early dinner seating, we sent the kids to the club after dinner and then had little to do until 9 the earliest.

Would not do/did not miss:
- FE - I never saw any on doors, so the kids had no clue about it, and it's one thing I'm glad I didn't have to stress over
- Pre-book shore excursions, we came from a week in the parks and would have loved our first day to relax instead of having to get off the ship but we decided to cancel too late.
- Pink duct tape on suitcases was unnecessary, we were able to easily find our bags in our group.
- We didn't need the hanging toiletry bags, maybe because I have boys and I'm pretty low maintenance so don't have a lot of products.

Would do next time that I missed:

-Check out the Oceaneer Club and Lab. I kept intending to stop by during open house hours, but I never managed it.
-Order lunch from room service at least once. Especially as to take better advantage of the verandah.

Would not do:

-Buy a length-of-cruise Rainforest pass. We pre-ordered a one-day pass, and that was enough for DH and I.
-Eat the chicken strips/pizza, etc. from the quick-service restaurants. They were fast and available, but that was all they had going for them.
-Do I have to say it? Bring as many clothes!
-Eat breakfast/lunch in the MDR much. It was okay once or twice, but it takes a lot of time.

Would do again:

-Stay at the Pan Pacific the night before our Alaska cruise departure. It was incredibly convenient. The bellman took our luggage from our rooms in the morning and we next saw it at our stateroom! Plus, it was really magical waking up to watch the Wonder dock on the morning of embarkation.
-Board as early as possible. We were so excited to get on board!
-Take Bonine. For my motion-sick-prone family, this was a must. I wasn't willing to waste a single day of our cruise feeling lousy. And while it was mostly very smooth, there were times where we did have a lot of motion and others complained of not feeling well.
-Palo, both brunch and dinner. For foodies like us, it was great to have an elevated dining experience. The MDR food varied from good to very good, but Palo was great.
-Have a verandah if we can afford it. For the Alaska itinerary, there was so much to watch all the time!
-Skip one or two of the shows to enjoy the Quiet Cove pool and hot tubs one evening.
-Walks around decks 4 and 10, especially in the evenings.
-Watch the ship depart the ports (from onboard, obviously!)
-Take advantage of the movies onboard.
-Do some of the games/entertainment, but earlier in the cruise next time. It was a fun way to meet people.
-Spend time in the Quiet Cove Cafe and the chairs just next to it in the sheltered deck area. It was really nice! We could see the view and were sheltered enough from the wind that we could play cards.
-Order coffee/tea and croissants from room service for breakfast. It worked out well to use that as our "wake-up call" a few mornings and eat on the verandah.
-Buffet breakfast on disembarkation day. We ate early and it was pretty empty. Then we did self-disembarkation while everyone else was still at breakfast in the MDRs, and walked off with no line!

From the Dream

Will do:

Stay at MCO Hyatt the night before. It was very clean. Very convenient.

Relax on deck 4. I felt like I was missing out on something or didn't see something if I sat down.

Try to book a double dip for Castaway Cay because it was AMAZING! The BBQ was great, the place was so clean and the beach was terrific.

I'll skip the MDR's. The food was terrible. I much prefered Cabanas. Also I hate dressing up (do it everyday for work). It's vacation and I wanted to chill out - not hurry back from the show to get dressed for dinner. I love that shorts are allowed now!!

Will not do:

Fish extender. What a waste of space in my suitcase. What a waste of time running all over the ship and then carting all the "gifts" home.

Get off the ship in Nassau even if it was only for an hour (to get passport stamped). What an ugly place. And to be harassed every 10 steps! "Lady want a taxi? Lady want your hair braided? Lady want to go to Atlantis? OMG it was ridiculous.

BTW- *My 10 and 8 year old thought the kids club was boring. They spent some time in there the second night but then never wanted to go back.

*The inside cabin (11C) on deck 2 (stateroom 2021) was fantastic. It had plenty of room, the boys loved the magical porthole and our steward BART was awesome!

From the Dream

Will do:

Relax on deck 4. I felt like I was missing out on something or didn't see something if I sat down.

Try to book a double dip for Castaway Cay because it was AMAZING! The BBQ was great, the place was so clean and the beach was terrific.

I'll skip the MDR's. The food was terrible. I much prefered Cabanas. Also I hate dressing up (do it everyday for work). It's vacation and I wanted to chill out - not hurry back from the show to get dressed for dinner. I love that shorts are allowed now!!

Will not do:

Fish extender. What a waste of space in my suitcase. What a waste of time running all over the ship and then carting all the "gifts" home.

Get off the ship in Nassau even if it was only for an hour (to get passport stamped). What an ugly place. And to be harassed every 10 steps! "Lady want a taxi? Lady want your hair braided? Lady want to go to Atlantis? OMG it was ridiculous.

BTW- *My 10 and 8 year old thought the kids club was boring. They spent some time in there the second night but then never wanted to go back.

*The inside cabin (11C) on deck 2 (stateroom 2021) was fantastic. It had plenty of room, the boys loved the magical porthole and our steward BART was awesome!

If you're talking about skipping the MDRs for dinner, I'll just point out that the food served in Cabanas for dinner is the same food that's being served in the MDRs that same evening.

Sorry, you didn't enjoy your cruise.

Sorry, you didn't enjoy your cruise.

But to the contrary. We enjoyed it VERY much. Just not the food!

The shows were top notch! The ship gorgeous and the staff friendly.

We'll go back but it was tough to top the Animal Kingdom Lodge Savannah View we had after the cruise. I felt like I was in paradise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter