What I would do/not do next cruise

Oh man, here's the one thing we'll do next time:
Use our Dramamine before we GET OFF THE BOAT! DH and I never had issues ON the boat but holy moley when we got off and started our drive home, it was soooooo bad!! The whole world felt like it was tipped on its side. DH had it so bad that when we stopped to spend the night at a hotel, he slept on the floor with his feet/legs up against the wall to try to stop the sway. Horrible. Who knew? Anyway...that's the single thing i'd change. Oh and maybe a few more hours in the sun on the adult deck to really secure a golden tan to bring back to Michigan in the middle of winter this coming February :thumbsup2

I had the same problem after our Dream cruise in December. Lasted about 4 days, which was the same length as our cruise. Just got off the Wonder (7 nights), and I am not having the same problem this time. Surprised, but glad!

I had the same problem after our Dream cruise in December. Lasted about 4 days, which was the same length as our cruise. Just got off the Wonder (7 nights), and I am not having the same problem this time. Surprised, but glad!

Oh yeah - this is a real thing. My friend had it for WEEKS after a Med cruise. She finally went to the doctor and told him "I'm losing my mind - I am seasick, and I've been off the boat for weeks"

Google the term "Mal de debarquement"

Oh man, here's the one thing we'll do next time:
Use our Dramamine before we GET OFF THE BOAT! DH and I never had issues ON the boat but holy moley when we got off and started our drive home, it was soooooo bad!! The whole world felt like it was tipped on its side. DH had it so bad that when we stopped to spend the night at a hotel, he slept on the floor with his feet/legs up against the wall to try to stop the sway. Horrible. Who knew? Anyway...that's the single thing i'd change. Oh and maybe a few more hours in the sun on the adult deck to really secure a golden tan to bring back to Michigan in the middle of winter this coming February :thumbsup2

Thanks for the info, this will probably be my husband when we get off the boat.

So keep taking motion sickness meds for a few days after the cruise and that will prevent that problem? I get terrible motion sickness so I will need to do this for sure.

We've cruised a couple of times and I can definitely think of some things that we will and will not do in the future.

Will do:
1)Palo- loved dinner. Hoping to have brunch and dinner next cruise.
2)Bring our on alcohol on- we didn't drink as much of it as we thought because we really enjoyed some of the drinks of the day but it was still worth bringing.
3)Hopefully get an early PAT. DH and I were onboard and visiting guest services by 11:35. Made it to Cabanas before the crowds got heavy.
4)Mixology- loved it and totally worth the $15.
5)Park at the port. Yes, its expensive but it was totally worth the price to us. We were able to get on the road back to GA by 7:15.
6)Start taking Bonine BEFORE we board. We had no problems last year but this recent cruise, DH and I both got terribly sick the first night.

Will not do:
1)Stress over every little detail. Last year we cruised as a family and I felt as though we were constantly rushing and not enjoying every moment and really taking everything in. I felt like I did better with this when DH and I cruised and I hope that continues on our 7 night western next year.

I'm for sure bring my own dipping sauce for chicken strips. If you have little ones who like a certain sauce like honey mustard, honey garlic, plum sauce etc, you better bring it because they don't have any options besides a terrible bbq sauce.

Will do again.
Definitley bringing a fold up laundry basket/hamper again and clothes pins for wet swim wear.

Will Do again: get daughters hair braided by the nice hair braiding ladies but probably early on the vacation rather than at the end.

Will not see every show. Miss the one or two we didn't really enjoy and spend time elsewhere.

Will not do Palo or Remy, didn't last time and wouldn't this time.

Will Not!
Stress over formal night and I will not line up for all the pictures again.

Will Not buy the picture CD, (this is the plan anyway)

Will NOT line up an hour early for a picture with Capt. Jack Sparrow. pirate:

Will not pack so many 'dressy' options for myself.
Will not buy formal shoes for my son to wear once. (he's wearing his flip flops!)

Will do:

1) do an excursion - Our four day cruise was our first ever cruise and we didn't do an excursion on Nassau. We thought we would just get off the boat and walk where we wanted to go. It was lame and we never saw anything after running the gauntlet of people trying to get us to hire them, which makes us uncomfortable.
2) do the ship tour on embarkation day. We never did see the exercise room or the rainforest spa!
3) manage to stay awake after dinner!! We had second seating and because it was only four days, I didn't want to waste time napping in the afternoon, so after filling up at dinner and getting back to the room I was exhausted!
4) I will embarrass my self and do karaoke! I've never had the guts and I've always dreamed about it. I'm not a bad singer, but I'm no pro!
5) I will visit more of the clubs and adults only shows! See number 3. I'm going to have to stay awake to do this!

Will not:
1) pack the Dramamine in the luggage the last night! Our middle son threw up in the car the entire 17 hour trip home, getting his land legs back was awful for him!!

I'm for sure bring my own dipping sauce for chicken strips. If you have little ones who like a certain sauce like honey mustard, honey garlic, plum sauce etc, you better bring it because they don't have any options besides a terrible bbq sauce.

They had honey mustard on the Dream in May, has this changed? :confused3

They had honey mustard on the Dream in May, has this changed? :confused3

Really! Thats good to hear. They only had small packages of bbq sauce on the Fantasy last October. I will have to look into this further!:thumbsup2

thanks for the info!:)

Will be bringing our own hand soft soap for the bathrooms again.

Will also bring a bathroom air freshener again.

Will throw out the tooth brushes when done with them at the end of the week and have new ones waiting for us at home.

Will spend a couple of hours one night doing laundry while the kids are in the clubs. :laundy:

Doing
1. Going to take take as many opportunities as possible to have our pictures taken around the ship, at dinner and at CC and getting the CD plus prints. Pictures are the best souvenirs!

2. We're signing up for more adult activities like Mixology, etc.

3. Getting a Rainforest pass.

4. Remy lunch!

5. Spending time with my kids on the adult area of the ship since they're all over 18 now.

Not Doing
1. Not missing Aquaduck this time!

2. Not packing so many shoes, they're add weight to my luggage and I don't really need six pairs of shoes. Or do I?

So keep taking motion sickness meds for a few days after the cruise and that will prevent that problem? I get terrible motion sickness so I will need to do this for sure.
I have issues off and on with my middle ear at home and take Gravol so I was worried about the four day Dream Cruise last summer. I didn't have any problems and didn't need a single pill. We are taking a week long cruise on the Fantasy next winter and am hoping for the same experience as she is sister to the Dream. My adult daughter needed it on our cruise and never has issues at home. So don't worry until you know how you will react.
Anticipating problems might actually be self-fufilling.

I cannot cut down on the shoes. I've tried. It's difficult!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I keep saying the se thing about shoes. Just bought a new pair of heels that I'm sure I will wear just one night. I have to talk DH out of some of his shoes to accommodate space for mine. :)

Unless they've moved away from lightening-fast, automatic, overpriced, "take all the fun out of it" bingo, I won't be playing bingo on board DCL again.

Sorry to only list a negative - everything else is wonderful!!!:goodvibes

Things I'll do again
- enjoy the comfy lounges on Deck 4, and walk around the jogging/walking track (or whatever the Dreams equivalent is)

- eat whatever I want, devil may care! :joker: Especially those awesome paninis on the pool deck!

- my mom and I always rent bikes on CC, it seems to have become a tradition for us.

- try to take in an adult show at night. I used to be too tired by then! But on the last cruise or two we were able to show up and enjoyed the shows.

Oh yeah - this is a real thing. My friend had it for WEEKS after a Med cruise. She finally went to the doctor and told him "I'm losing my mind - I am seasick, and I've been off the boat for weeks"

Google the term "Mal de debarquement"

I've never had the problem getting off the ship however when I traveled via overnight train in China, I felt like I was on a train the next few nights when I was sleeping...woke up in the middle of the night convinced the room was moving!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter