What I would do/not do next cruise

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by breakingd_awn, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Cruella 66

Cruella 66 DIS Veteran

I love all y'all's lists and have taken them to heart!

I bought photo mattes (2) and some different colored Sharpies. Where on the Magic do I take these? And do I put it all in a large envelope? Thanks! Cindy

P.S. and I won't play Bingo...I do remember that was a huge disappointment from our first cruise. It was so long ago I can't remember much else.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. luvs2cruise

luvs2cruise Mouseketeer

Great thread! Subscribing

4. disneydeb

disneydeb DIS Veteran

:lmao::lmao::lmao::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

5. 5forDis

5forDis Mouseketeer

Our first family cruise is in April...this thread is so helpful to read. Thanks to everyone who is contributing for us newbies.:worship:

6. disney1990

disney1990 <font color=royalblue>Wow, it make my heart skip a

OMG - we did the same thing on our last cruise. If I am tired, I will lie down and take a nap next time.

7. ravensilverlight

ravensilverlight I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Toss everything into a large ziplock bag marked with your name and stateroom number. Then drop the bag off at guest services (it's a nice gesture to add a little "thank you" gift like a bag of candy or whatever, too!). You can let them know if you only want certain characters to sign and they'll accomodate you! They should bring your things back on the last night - but they MAY not, it's happened before - so don't forget about it! Maybe write yourself a post-it note or something to remind you to pick them up if they haven't brought them back. Easy!

8. dizzi

dizzi DIS Veteran

thanks again ....still have a few left and then will post everything i lhave learned just all in one...

great treamill reading again tonight:scared1::scared1:

9. HawkeyeMickey77

HawkeyeMickey77 Mouseketeer

Loving this thread! Subscribing!:surfweb:

10. Marshay

Marshay I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bi

Thanks!:goodvibes

11. mackiemom3

mackiemom3 Earning My Ears

Thanks! Great thread, helps me to see it all cant be done on a % night crz but doesn't need to either! subscribing!! Will def not feel pressure to get to every show, every dinner, breakfast (thank you room srvc....No Bingo and bringing a case of our fav beer too!

Couple of questions r/t to this...First time crz scheduled for April.
    Do the Bikes on CC have toddler seats attached?
    What is the rainforest room? Is it on the Dream?
    Do they have a CB on all crz?
    What is a dummy date when booking on the crz?
    Am I expecting too much to do a FE in concierge? Just saw we are behind a very high imposing gate. :confused3
    I have been reading threads for months without figuring out these questions.

Love the air freshener for BR.

12. BigDogHU75

BigDogHU75 DIS Veteran

I can answer some of the questions.

13. DCLSecondChance

DCLSecondChance Mouseketeer

Just the fact that I am giving DCL a second chance after our disappointing first experience is a chance to do and not do things next time.

First the Wills:

We will stay on the ship at Castaway Cay. Staying on a ship while she is in port is like having it all to yourself. Getting a chair by the main pool just after breakfast will be wonderful!
    We will see our contacts at Atlantis and be taken in a private water taxi to the facilities. We will enjoy the water park and take a tour of the new facilities since our last visit.
    We will spend time in the adult pool.
    We will order room service every day!
    We will visit the gym every morning when it opens.
    We will eat healthy on this cruise.
    We will skip the shows and spend time exploring the ship.

Now the Won'ts
    :

We won't let Disney force an unwanted upgrade on us. We picked a specific cabin for a reason. If we arrive at the pier to find an upgrade, we will insist on our original room.
    We won't stand in line for character meet and greets. If our daughter wants to do that, she is welcome to and then can come find us.
    We won't stress about our dining rotation and when we will eat at Palo.
    We won't bring formal wear. We are on vacation and no one really cares.
    If this experience does not exceed our expectations (and frankly after the first cruise we have very low ones of DCL), we won't give them a third chance.

14. Jennyontheblock

Jennyontheblock Earning My Ears

Will do again.
    Have kids try some thing new at each dinner, who knew my kids would like oysters!
    Brunch at Palo
    Spend all day long on Castaway Cay (best day of the trip)
    Plastic over the door shoe rack. This was the BEST advice EVER.
    Order premium wine package. So nice to have a bottle of wine with dinner each night.

Will not do again.
    Whiskey tasting. But this will be on DH's must do list
    Wine tasting and Martini tasting back to back. :headache:
    Deck parties, good for kids who love to dance in a crowd, just not for our family.
    Worry about finding a place to sit on Castaway Cay, there is plenty of room for everyone.

Will do differently next time.
    Take a pop up laundry hamper, there just is not much extra space.:laundy:
    Eat dinner at Paulo
    Not worry about the website saying that Paulo Brunch was full. We stopped by our first night and were still able to get in for brunch on our second at sea day.
    Take Windex wipes for cleaning veranda glass, gets salt water smudge pretty quickly so would have been nice to be able to do a quick clean.

15. kgoldenh

kgoldenh Mouseketeer

16. MammaC

MammaC Earning My Ears

Wonderful thread -love reading all of the dos and don'ts. Thanks everyone!!

17. dISNEYlOveer

dISNEYlOveer Disney World Veteran but Earning my Ears on dis bo

I went on the Dream on Feb. 27-Mar.3, 2011 and it was fantastic!

WILL DO AGAIN:
    1)Stay in the room that we picked
    2)No character breakfasts
    3)Meet the captain and get something signed
    4)Go to the Pirate Party
    5)Not see movies in the movie theatre (why do that when I can see the movies anytime after the cruise??)
    6)Go on the AquaDuck right after breakfast (the line gets really long really fast!)
    7)Go to the clubs when not at the pool
    8)Lunch at Cabanas (on the first day and most days) or at the Flo's V8 Cafe
    9)Get to the port early and get in line before some buses get there!

WONT DO or DO DIFFERENTLY:
    1)Get off the ship at Nassau and maybe Castaway Cay
    2)Get a room with a verandah because we weren't in the room that much

Thats all that I can think about right now. Disney Cruise Line Has GREAT service and would do it again, and again, and again, etc. and would recommend it to people!! :thumbsup2

18. DundasDad

DundasDad Mouseketeer

I'm not going to reiterate any previous points (many good ones!) - I'd like to add a couple of my own:

WILL DO:
    • pay more attention to the Navigator. We were on our first cruise last March and were so overwhelmed with the myriad of things to do we probably missed out on a bunch of cool experiences
    • relax more. I'm looking forward to to the EC cruise and the extra sea day

WILL NOT DO:
    • forget what day we have Palo brunch and eat breakfast that day.
    :sad2:

19. AKMOUSE

AKMOUSE Mouseketeer

If I can ask - what size mat did you get? Assuming that you got an 8.5x11 frame...then would hte picture be a 5x7?
    Our family room is a wall of our vacations and the year we did WDW (2007) there are 12 various disney frames. DCL (2010) is 2 frames (DCL ones) and a digital frame with our 200+ photos. For our DCL/WDW trip this time I would like to do a photo like this. Thanks!!

20. aymekae

aymekae Ayme of the Southern Isles

As a disclaimer, we have no kids. I saw mostly people with kids post prior, which is great since that is the largest client base, but for those out there cruising without, here are my lists:

Things I Would Do Again:
    -Stay at the Hyatt Regency at MCO the night before, check-in for the cruise at the airport, and take Disney bus transfers
    -Palo Brunch
    -Trade a lackluster port for a nearly empty ship
    -Swim in Quiet Cove Pool/Spa more
    -Skip lunch in the dining rooms and wait for 1:30 when our stateroom was ready to order room service! Great way to settle in.
    -Book our next cruise onboard

Things I Will Do Next Time:
    -Bring nicer shoes for dinner/Palo. I was embarrassed in my flip flops.
    -Rainforest Room
    -Find the time for a ship tour and a movie
    -Bring a proper wrap/sweater for evening wear
    -Arrange to share a taxi ahead of time if a DISer is going to the same place at the same time.
    -Reapply sun tan lotion on beach days, even on nice, cool winter days (luckily, only the tops of my feet got burned, which was really the only part of me submerged in water all day!)
    -Make sure to find that Dessert Buffet
    -Take motion sickness medicine after getting off the ship to ward off landsickness

Things I Will Not Do Again:
    -Wear a dress in port, even if headed to the beach! The slightest breeze… I don’t remember anything about Cozumel until we got to the resort and I changed into shorts and a t-shirt!
    -Attend the “parties”
    -Choose the cheapest rental car company on debarkation day. Stood in line for an hour and a half waiting for a shuttle, along with the other cheapskates! None of the other rental shuttles had the same problem we did.
    -Post-cruise trip to Universal Studios Orlando (1 night/2 days). It was a very expensive mistake. So many reasons… long wait for rental car instead of taking Disney bus, expensive on-property hotel and places to eat, was pretty landsick for several days and all we wanted to do was sleep, lame rides/attractions, flew home way too late and only had a few hours of sleep before starting work again. We loved seeing The Blue Man Group at City Walk, though, and I did enjoy the Wizarding World of Harry Potter as a fan (my non-fan DH hated it and didn’t participate in anything but lunch at The Three Broomsticks!) We just wouldn’t do it the same way, in hindsight.

21. Susiesark

Susiesark DIS Veteran

Will do: Order coffee from room service..
    Every night we ordered coffee, in a pre-heated carafe, and every morning we had hot coffee to enjoy while still in bed.
    Walk Deck 4 (on The Wonder) 3 times around the ship is 1 mile. Nice enjoyable exercise, no crowds, great scenery.
    Get to know the CMs at Guest Services. The DO remember you and they make magic happen. :wizard:

Will not do: See Toy Story The Musical..
    Didn't enjoy it the first time, enjoyed it even less the second time.

Will probably not do: Character Breakfast...
    It is a mad rush, between the food and the 5-second picture op with characters. Much better in the parks.