What I lose from buying a resale..?

Discussion in 'Purchasing DVC' started by DisneyBliss7, Jan 7, 2014.

1. DisneyBliss7

DisneyBliss7 ''Wish upon a star''

I heard if I buy resale I can't use my points towards a cruise or Adventures By Disney(which is fine for our family) but can I still use it for Aulani or Vero Beach?

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Official Ticket Center is Orlando’s #1 discount attraction ticket agency, selling millions of Walt Disney tickets around the world.

to hide this adverts.
  3. jillgunter

jillgunter Mouseketeer

Yes you can use it at any DCV property :)

4. Breyean

Breyean DVC Since '93

Yes, and what you mention as things you "lose" with a resale are SO expensive, pointwise, that you might never even be able to use points for them, anyway. Especially ABD. VERY expensive.

5. chalee94

chalee94 <font color=green>I thought all sand was ground up

yeah, before you consider this a limitation, definitely take a look at the per-person point charts for the costs for ABD and cruises.

if you buy resale, you still have the option of trading out of the DVC system through RCI for other timeshares. but the best value is at the DVC resorts, including HHI, hawaii, and vero beach.

6. DenLo

DenLo DIS Veteran

Here is the News item as it was posted to the member website:

The Disney Collection refers to any Disney Resort around the world and any Disney cash resort at WDW and DLR.

7. itutorfortravel

itutorfortravel I tutor high school math to pay for my travel addi

Can you use resale points to book at the grand Californian?

8. ptlohmysoul

ptlohmysoul Mouseketeer

Yes

9. crisi

crisi DIS Veteran

HOWEVER, you should know that all this is subject to availability.

Last month we had a very disappointed member who had promised his daughter (or son?) an Aulani trip for their honeymoon - at seven months, there wasn't anything available that met his requirements. Now, he wanted June, with is apparently prime time for Hawaii. Grand Californian is notoriously difficult to book if you don't own there. BLT Standard is almost never available to those that don't own there, BWV Standard a little more often. Right now Grand Floridian is very difficult to get at seven months - its a new resort, it might get easier - or it might stay really hard. Hilton Head and Vero Beach can be difficult to book if you don't own there in the Summer or over Spring Break.

The clause "subject to availability" is kind of a big catch. You may discover you have incredibly good luck with "subject to availability" or you may be very disappointed. Its a matter of what you are looking for, when you are looking for it, and luck.