What has happened to Mousekeeping ?????

We just got back from Pop and had no trouble with the mousekeeping. We tried to keep our end of the bargain by cleaning up after ourselves....no easy task with 2 rooms and 4 kids. They kept their end of the bargain by keeping our room spotless, with lots of clean towels and shampoo and soaps. We also had a blast with the towel animals they made. They would take our kids stuffed animals and group them around the towel animals in a fun way. We always opened the door expectantly to see what would be on the beds next!

Of course, it probably helped that we tipped well everyday and even left treats for our mousekeeper. You gotta pay the piper, ya know!

I've never had a problem with mousekeeping, if anything my experiences with them have gotten better over the years.

I've stayed in deluxe and moderates and always found the service to be excellant in both.

My last stay was at WL and I had the best service I had ever had. The room was very clean. I made several requests over the course of my stay (early cleaning time, extra towels, etc) and all were met politely and taken care of prmomptly.

I am one of those 'bad' people who does not tip until the last day. And I'm not a firm believer in automatically tipping housekeeping. I often don't tip in other establishments because of bad service, but I always tip in wdw because the service is great.

A tip should be recognition of going above and beyond, not a 'bribe' for towel animals.

We haven't had any problems except light bulbs being out. We have DVC and usually stay at OKW, and those rooms have been spotless when we checked in. We've stayed in rooms of various sizes, but all have been great. My daughter did find a pacifier under the bed in November, before we checked out. We were checking that WE didn't leave anything, and found it!

We often add on nights at the Moderates and our rooms there were clean too. Some dust in corners, but that's minor. Nothing yucky like hair... I am not TOO fussy about clean anymore, as my daughter is 10 so my house hasn't been "spotless" in 10 years, but I don't want any body parts left from the previous occupant...

I blame it on cutbacks. The housekeepers work really hard and they probably just have to hurry too much now... I think they have to rush so stuff gets missed...

At least now I know that I'm not the only one who has noticed
"mousekeeping" problems. By no means do I spend quality vacation time searching for and complaining about problems in our room. Nevertheless, I find it dissapointing when Disney fails to live up to the excellent standards that we have come to expect.
After reading the threads, it seems as though something is very wrong when one guest enjoys a very clean room and wonderful service, while another guest finds their resort experience to be just the opposite.

I may be in the minority here, but I don't hold Disney's cleaning staff to a "higher" standard then the people at the Days Inn. I think that sometimes we get a little carried away about the "Disney Way". If you are a germ phobic or a neat freak I really don't think you should stay at hotels anyway. Trust me, there is not a hotel out there that meets all the standards some people have.

Housekeeping is a thankless job. I don't really blame it on cutbacks because even when Disney is not hiring if you go on their website they have housekeeping openings. I think it is just hard to hire and keep good people in that job. That just leads to some inconsistency.

Some of these posts are legit and others strike me as "I went looking for something. " Sorry, but a trashcan out of place is not a criminal offense in my world.

As for Do Not Distrub signs. WHY DO PEOPLE TAKE THESE? and yes, they do.....

I can make my own. Take a piece of paper, write DO NOT DISTRUB and stick it in the key slot. Works every time.

Originally posted by CarolA
I may be in the minority here, but I don't hold Disney's cleaning staff to a "higher" standard then the people at the Days Inn. I think that sometimes we get a little carried away about the "Disney Way". If you are a germ phobic or a neat freak I really don't think you should stay at hotels anyway. Trust me, there is not a hotel out there that meets all the standards some people have.

Housekeeping is a thankless job. I don't really blame it on cutbacks because even when Disney is not hiring if you go on their website they have housekeeping openings. I think it is just hard to hire and keep good people in that job. That just leads to some inconsistency.

Some of these posts are legit and others strike me as "I went looking for something. " Sorry, but a trashcan out of place is not a criminal offense in my world. A

I have to agree with you here CarolA. It seems that some people would like the water to part and angels to sing them to sleep as soon as they get on Disney Property. Every resort, hotel, motel, timeshare, anyplace for that matter is going to have problems from time to time. None of the resorts put themselves out to be the Ritz Carlton, but many think they should be held to that standard.

Now I fear that people will go looking and expect a rebate, a discount, a night free, or a dunkin donut because the first sheet of toilet paper wasn't folded in a triangle. Give me a break!

Reasonable accommodations and an honest attempt to make them so is all I ask. I have stayed at POR several times and never experienced a problem so bad that I had to ask to switch rooms. Maybe it is because I didn't have the expectation to have all my room requests satisfied at check in. Sometimes I feel that some people cannot afford to stay at WDW and have spent so much money when they arrive if Mickey and Moses isn't there to greet them they've been jilted.

Just my opinion. Ok bleeding hearts - bring it on! :smooth:

Hawk

For us, our trip in December left a lot to be desired resort wise. Our stay started at ASMusic (our favorite AS) andas we were getting in to the room, my 3yo DD came out of the bathroom with a razor in her hand. DEfinitely dirty. Our other room was so dirty that we asked to be moved. They did credit us TWELVE DOLLARS AND FIFTY CENTS. So on to the next set of rooms across the resort where there are CHEETOS on the bathroom floor. Not acceptable. THis time, no apology, no $12.50, no nothing. Our mousekeeper did some neat things with our kids toys, and we decided that perhaps she was too busy dressing and redressing dolls to clean the bath? The cheetos were still behind the bathroom door when we moved to POR. We did call every day to let them know they were there behind the door. Yick. Anyway, there were other issues with our stay, but I won't go there. :-)

POR was wonderful. Could have been a little cleaner, but given what we had come from...and spending 4 days in the room(at POR) with the flu, we were thankful we had left the All Stars!!

OK...long enough. By the way, we did email the guest relations who basically said, gee. we're sorry, but you did get $12.50. Ha! We will be at Disney 5 more times this year and this next trip we will be at POP ONE night, and the rest we are trying off site for our first time ever. If it goes well, we'll be offsite in April and June.

As it was me who started this thread I would like to point out that I am not a picky person ,neither do I look for free nights or discounts.However I do expect basic standards of a hotel,one of them being a bathroom floor that has been swept after the last guests leave.
It does not really matter who the person is staying at the hotel, or wether or not they can afford it.Everyone should get a certain standard of cleanliness in a hotel room. I was just saying that Disney is known for its high standards and it is obvious that these have slipped in some areas over the last couple of years.
Just my opinion thats all.
Sarah.

I'm sorrie, that's not cool at all! As for the Resort Operation, unfortuantely when you go and express concern about something at the resort, it is expressed to the Front Desk. Which is great but unfortunately they don't clean the rooms and therefore do their best to solve the situation (inform the housekeeping crew, call housekeeping management, even go out and clean rooms sometime!) So you tell the right hand, and the right hand tries to talk to the left but sometimes it doesn't listen. Honestly best way to get results is talk to a Housekeeping manager, the people behind the scenes. Surprisingly enough, they're almost always in your building or somewhere nearby! Anyways if you can't finf one, tell the front desk that you would like to speak with one. It's 9 times outta 10 going to solve your challenge. But that one time, sorrie we'll try our best to assist you.

P.S. thanks for the praise to Pop! Oh and above all write letters, even if it's address to the housekeeping staff of your room. Trust me the letter will end up in their hands. Which goes from not caring, to feeling responsible, real fast!

PoP Century Front Office Cast Member
Joshua
pirate:

Joshua, is right.

If you have a housekeeping problem pick up your phone and call Housekeeping and ask to speak to the on duty supervisor or manager.

If they are not available ask to be connected to their voice mail. Leave a message.

Originally posted by trola2
For us, our trip in December left a lot to be desired resort wise. Our stay started at ASMusic (our favorite AS) andas we were getting in to the room, my 3yo DD came out of the bathroom with a razor in her hand. DEfinitely dirty. Our other room was so dirty that we asked to be moved. They did credit us TWELVE DOLLARS AND FIFTY CENTS. So on to the next set of rooms across the resort where there are CHEETOS on the bathroom floor. Not acceptable. THis time, no apology, no $12.50, no nothing. Our mousekeeper did some neat things with our kids toys, and we decided that perhaps she was too busy dressing and redressing dolls to clean the bath? The cheetos were still behind the bathroom door when we moved to POR. We did call every day to let them know they were there behind the door. Yick. Anyway, there were other issues with our stay, but I won't go there. :-)

POR was wonderful. Could have been a little cleaner, but given what we had come from...and spending 4 days in the room(at POR) with the flu, we were thankful we had left the All Stars!!

OK...long enough. By the way, we did email the guest relations who basically said, gee. we're sorry, but you did get $12.50. Ha! We will be at Disney 5 more times this year and this next trip we will be at POP ONE night, and the rest we are trying off site for our first time ever. If it goes well, we'll be offsite in April and June.

You bring up an interesting point about the towel animals and cute things Mousekeeping does with dolls and stuffed animals. Do you think some of the staff has figured out this is the way to get good tips and due to lack of time are spending too much time with the cute stuff and ignoring the basics of cleaning.

I do hold Disney HK/MK to a higher standard as well as the rest of the Disney CM staff as Disney charges a premium rate for their accomadations and sells a premium experience compared to other offsite hotels.

Simple math to me - pay more, expect more

thanks
jaysue

Originally posted by jaysue
I do hold Disney HK/MK to a higher standard as well as the rest of the Disney CM staff as Disney charges a premium rate for their accomadations and sells a premium experience compared to other offsite hotels.

Simple math to me - pay more, expect more

thanks
jaysue

Wrong analysis! The proper business analysis is "What the general public is willing to pay" and that is the charge. As long as there are shareholders and boards of directors it is as you say "simple math - pay more!" - However, don't expect the other half of your flawed equation. A "simple" business degree will teach you that.

sarah aka madmouse - no need to explain your opinion - you are entitled to it just as everyone else is entitled to their opinion. I hope we don't take them personally. Good thread!

Hawk.

Originally posted by CarolA
As for Do Not Distrub signs. WHY DO PEOPLE TAKE THESE? and yes, they do.....

I can make my own. Take a piece of paper, write DO NOT DISTRUB and stick it in the key slot. Works every time.
>>

Maybe I hold Disney to a "higher standard" because it's what I have come to expect from Disney...it's why I keep going back!:) We stayed at a Country Inn & Suites on the way home from Disney and found the housekeeping to be much better there. And, I don't think I am a "germ phobic", but I really don't appreciate a room with bugs in it, and a fruit loop on the floor, etc. As far as the Do not disturb sign, even if we had made our own, who is to stay it would not have been taken also??! I looked around the building we were in and honestly didn't see *any* of the do not disturb signs out...I have to wonder if the housekeeping staff didn't remove them themselves?

I can see that our critique on mousekeeping has disturbed those who refuse to admit that "pixie dust" is not the ONLY dust to be found at Disney resorts.
To accuse an individual of having a germ phobia because they have pointed out some problems at a resort is absolutley ridiculous.....almost as ridiculous as using Disney, and Day's Inn in the same sentence!!! When we vacation at Disney we are not looking for "perfection"..... we just expect that the room will be CLEAN....and I believe that this is the whole point of this thread.

:rolleyes:

To accuse an individual of having a germ phobia because they have pointed out some problems at a resort is absolutley ridiculous.....almost as ridiculous as using Disney, and Day's Inn in the same sentence!!! When we vacation at Disney we are not looking for "perfection"..... we just expect that the room will be CLEAN....and I believe that this is the whole point of this thread.

I see no one on this board accusing anyone. My theory is reactions to posting is not a true reflection on the post, but on the reader's mind set. (On this or any topic)

However, NOT on this thread but on some others I have read some things that make me just think..... these people should not leave home. I have a friend like that and we basically tell her (A) not to go anyplace and (B) to shut up when she gets home. She literally crawls on the floor inspecting the carpet, wipes her hands under the bed, somehow she gets on the floor and looks on the backside of the toliet, etc.... Of course no place could withstand this (including my house!). She brings her own blankets, sheets and towels etc... It is really too funny. She has NEVER yet managed to stay at a hotel without spending at least an hour telling the management how they should run the place. One hotel (a NICE one) gave her husband his money back and asked him to leave after one day. Her treatment of the staff was such that the hotel would rather lose the customer.

Now this is extreme, but I see traits of it on travel boards a lot (and not just Disney). For example, there are lots of threads obsessing over the bedspreads. Nope, they don't change them after every visit. I travel 70% of the year and am pretty sure I have gotten no dreaded illnesses from the bedspreads.

CarolA, your post is cracking me up! I have a friend who carries antibacterial wipes when she travels, wiping everything in her path. We laugh about it because I believe in the study that showed that kids have more asthma when they grow up in spotless households. Let's just say neither of my kids have asthma from OUR house! :) Friend had me convinced I should travel with Lysol fabric disinfectant . Dear hubby told me the aerasol can is likely to explode in the hot minivan, killing us all so the germs won't matter! Now I figure that the bedspreads are probably gross but if I don't think about it I won't get sick! :)

Luckily, we have had clean rooms. Once on a trip FROM Disney we got in a room that had hair everywhere, and that WAS gross... If I got a hairball room I WOULD ask to be moved.

Now everyone keep your faces off those bedspreads and let's all stay healthy on vacation!

I go to WDW just about every month it seems! (I have an AP and am not afraid to use it!) LOL! My one pet peeve is finding pubic hair in the tub. I usually rinse the tub out to be on the safe side anyway... but I would have to say that the last 3 or 4 visits there have been "little hairs" in the tub or jacuzzi. This has been true at OKW be it studio or 2 BDRM villa. I've also had it occur at CYM and other outside hotels. It is more shocking to find at WDW though. I have asked for bathroom spray to be delivered in order to clean it myself. But, my impression is one of being understaffed as well. True or not, I cannot say.

So, in the future when I pack I will probably just add a few disposable wipes for quick touchups!

But I must say, housekeeping was always on time and I never lacked for towels or anything else.... it's a wonderful day when you are at Disney!

I stayed at the Contemporary Garden Side (which is where they put SoG guests) over Halloween. I can CERTAINLY commiserate with the demise of Mousekeeping. I had old, moldy food on the floor by the bed and cobwebs hanging from the ceiling. And to make matters worse, the smell of cigarettes emitted from the upstairs rooms flooded my room every morning. I have asthma so the cobwebs and the cigarette smell were the biggest problems. I complained 3 times to the Contemporary management who assured me the room would be cleaned properly. It wasn't. I finally had to call the hotel manager and show him the digital pictures I took of the food (which showed the room was being vacuumed) and the cobwebs. I even jokey that I realized Disney's attention to detail for Halloween is phenomenal but thought they were to keep said "realism" limited to the MK. The head of housekeeping came and personally cleaned my room.

BTW, the food turned out to be grapes that were SO old they had become raisins. ICK!:eek:

As for the ceiling cobwebs, they were still there when I checked out and the morning I checked out, I thought my room was on fire - there was actual smoke billowing out of the vents in the bathroom.

The housekeeping manager told me the rooms I stayed in were scheduled to be demolished in the fall to make room for the "Vacation Villa's".

Sarcastically, I asked if it was Disney's intention to punish SoG guests by making them stay in such an inhospitable and unhealthy environment. Needless to say, he did not comment.

I am returning to Disney, BI and AKL Concierge, next week - we'll see how mouselkeeping there compares. So far, the GF is the best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter