What has happened to Mousekeeping ?????

sarah aka madmouse

Earning My Ears
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the decline in mousekeeping???
Just back from a 2 night stay in P O Riverside and not too happy about what i saw.
Our room was not clean. I stepped into the bathroom and was astounded to see someones hair all over the floor ( I mean a lot)also there was hair on all the dust boards and on the ledge by the hairdryer. Also about 2 months of dust and the tiles had some splash marks on them.I did complain to the manager who did not charge me for 1 nights stay and assured me that the room would be deep cleaned for the next night.However I am sorry to say that when we returned it had been cleaned a little but still hair on the floor and dust everywhere ( even though I had made it really clear where the problems were.) I did call the front desk again and they could not tell me why it had not been cleaned and they gave me a $30.00 credit towards the next night. Although I accepted the credit I feel that Disney has missed the point.I would have rather had a clean room than the money.
I am a member at OKW DVC and have noticed simalar things there.Last time I stayed there was hair on the floor of the bathroom and a tampon wrapper on the floor - Really!!!!
I am not a picky person but wanted to vent on how dissapointed I feel that standards are slipping. Anyone else feel the same????

Sarah.

I agree with you, I noticed a definite decline at our resort when we were there in December. It was irritating when we would return to our room around 3:00 in the afternoon to rest up after the parks, only to discover that our room had not been touched. This is when you really need to relax and unwind, and we repeatedly had to leave our room between 3:00 and 4:00 so they could clean. You could tell that they were annoyed because we were there. We left the room each day at 7:00am, so one would think that it could be cleaned during this 8 hour period.
From what I could observe the resorts, as well as the parks, were understaffed, leading to a morale problem among CM's.
I really hope that Disney will be able to rise above its' internal problems, and prevent this "decline" from spreading any further.
I suppose after vacationing at Disney for so many years, we have come to expect "the best"...so it can be dissapointing when you encounter problems like this.:(

We haven't had any problem with housekeeping in 14 trips. Course most of them were DVC so we have only gotten Trash and Towels, but our room was always clean when we checked in.

Just stayed at Pop Century this past week and our room was kept really clean. Housekeeping was knocking at our door at 8:30 some mornings to clean our room, we weren't even up yet. Guess we should have left the do not disturb sign in the door.

We're just back from the cabins at Ft Wilderness. We found our cabin immaculate when we arrived, and our Mousekeepers were GREAT. A couple of times during the week we put out our 'No Service Required' sign, and came home to GIANT bags of extra towels and toiletries, left on the deck! And we got some really really cute towel critters and creations too.

Sorry you had a not so great experience.

Stayed in 4 different WDW rooms recently - AKL, BWVx2 and BCV - the rooms were in very good shape in terms of being clean but not excellent and that is where I see some slippage occuring. The only 'bad' example was in a Grand Villa at BWV where the hardwood floors had obviously not had a good cleaning for some time or there had been some rough wear n tear guests. We had to call HK to come and clean the floor as it was quite sticky in some places - they did come promptly and did clean but I would have thought that would have been dealt with in the cleaning and turning of the rooms

thanks
jaysue

Sarah, that's awful you had such a bad experience!
And you are right about the money...you pay for clean quarters!
No matter what the catagory of the hotel!

capegirl....what resort were you at in Dec?

Both times I've stayed on property I've had sub-par housekeeping. This past time at the AKL all I can say is thank goodness for pool towels or we wouldn't have been able to shower! We were out of the room except in the afternoons (like 2-4 pm or so) and our rooms were not cleaned usually until we went out for dinner. We were there in August and often we took a shower in the morning and one in the afternoon after getting out of the pool. It is super annoying to have 5 pm roll around and no sign of housekeeping :( Our first trip at the POFQ a few years ago we only had our room cleaned ONCE! The rest of the time, no matter what time we were in our room with the "do not disturb" sign (which varied - for an hour or two every day) they ended up leaving us a big bag of towels and things. It is very annoying to be on vacation and not ever get your room cleaned or not cleaned until dinner! I've not had this happen anywhere else I've ever stayed on vacation either!

Sorry to hear that - it makes your stay less than perfect. Riverside has been getting hit and miss reviews lately. Definitely send an email.

Our stays in 2003 were wonderful - great mousekeeping and service. We stayed at Caribbean Beach, All Star Movies and Yacht Club and were delighted each time. :Pinkbounc

I'm only surmising here....but it's probably because of the lack of staff. They've been cutting back, and fewer maids means that there's MORE work to be done by fewer people. The result? Either a good job much later than desired, or a sloppy one on time.

If you REALLY want to fix the problem, E-Mail Disney's guest relations. (Just go to disneyworld.com, and find the guest services link)

I never been disappointed and have stayed at Carribean Beach, PO-FQ, PO-R (many times) and WL. I always call housekeeping on our first day to tell them that we'd like morning service because we're out the door by 7:30 a.m. and like to come back for a rest around noon or 1:00. Only one time did that not happen, and it wasn't a big deal.

What you experienced was not good. I would have asked for a different room that was clean. I'm sorry you had a poor experience.

I have to admit that when I'm in Disney World, I'm just so happy that I'm there that I don't notice too much about my room. But during my last two stays at AKL and Coronado Springs, things have been clean and proper each and every day. There's no excuse for not doing one's job, but "clean" can unfortunately be a relative term. :p

We have never had any trouble with mousekeeping. We spent a weekend at Coronado Springs in November and a weekend at the Wilderness Lodge in January.

We recently stayed at the Poly and the service was GREAT!
Sorry to here you had a problem..... I't's ashame that after you addressed the problem they were not able to get it right.

Walt'sFan

We were also just back from POR and noticed that mousekeeping could use a little help. When we walked into our room it stunk of Bleach. I should have complained but I was trying to be a good. I was already a little bit in a bad mood because I didnt get the two buildings I requested, but the bleach smell was over whelming that it really affected the beginning of our trip. Despite the fact that I left a very "generous" tip each day, no towel animals. I know I know, the whole towel animal situation has been debated and that it is not the sign of a good trip, but I think that is a nice thank you for leaving a tip. I didnt leave a tip on the last day, as I would have if I was happy with service. Also, I had to request more pillows, 3 times. The second time they already told me they were delivered. I replied not to me room. She started to argue me, and I told her to come look in my room. Quite frankly I wouldnt have needed to request extra pillows, had our pillows been so flat, that it was impossible to seat on them. They should have been thrown out.

In short, sarah aka madmouse I agree. POR mousekeeping did not live up to my expectations.

Originally posted by bali
I have to admit that when I'm in Disney World, I'm just so happy that I'm there that I don't notice too much about my room. But during my last two stays at AKL and Coronado Springs, things have been clean and proper each and every day. There's no excuse for not doing one's job, but "clean" can unfortunately be a relative term. :p
MTE! When I am on vacation at WDW, I let Mickey keep his white gloves. :smooth: And "clean" is a very relative term. While I am not an "Oscar Madison", I am also far from being a "Felix Unger"! :earseek:

Housekeeping isn't a huge issue for us either. I'd rather not see someone's toenail clippings tho. We had terrific housekeeping while at AllStarMu in Dec. And it was pretty good at the Polynesian in August. I will say that the worst housekeeping we've had was at POR. Wonder why that is. My suggestion is your room isn't done when you come back mid-day? Hang out the Do Not Disturb sign. I heard some housekeepers griping about that at AllStarMu but hey...if they can't get to it early, then the guest shouldn't be inconvienced. If enough people hang out the signs then maybe housekeeping will figure out that there is an issue.

Mousekeeping was the only good thing during my stay at Caribbean Beach. The room was cleaned every day by 2pm and was definitely cleaned. There were plenty of towels and soaps/shampoos left and I even found 2 animals waiting in the room when I went back one afternoon. They were so cute that I put them in the window for people to see. When I got back my "mousekeeper" added another animal in the window!

I was very pleased with Mousekeeping at the Wilderness Lodge. The room was cleaned every day by 3pm. Plenty of towels and such. No animals, but that's ok.

The only poor experience I've had was a few years ago at POR (then called Dixie Landings). Had to constantly call to get the room cleaned. Also, I had requested a late check out on my last day. The housekeeper showed up at 10am to clean the room & I informed her that I had a late check out. She came back every 15 minutes from 10-11:30am to see if I was leaving, then she stood outside my window with her arms crossed staring at me waiting for me to leave. My overall experience with POR was poor anyway and this was one of the reasons.

We stayed at the BWI for the week between Christmas and New Year's. We found Mousekeeping to be inconsistent. When we arrived, we had 4 large towels, 2 hand towels, and 4 washclothes. The next day, we might have 6 large towels, no hand towels and 2 wash clothes. Every day was an adventure with the towels. Some times the bed was made up with the spread and other times it was made up w/o the spread. We called and requested turn down service each night. Sometimes, they replaced the dirty towels, sometimes the maid took the dirty but didn't give us clean ones. One night we returned to find a stack of a dozen (I counted them) wash clothes on the towel rack above the toilet. No hand towels, but plenty of wash clothes. Then there was the day we returned from the parks and found a large stack of hand towels and wash clothes left on the sink. This was in addition to the clean towels that had been placed on the towel racks.

One day I came in and found a chair left in the middle of the entrance hallway. They had replaced a burned out light bulb (we had to call and ask that it be done). This was the chair someone had stood on to replace the bulb. One time, the trash cans were sitting in the middle of the floor-not put back in the bathroom or by the table.

The cleaning portion was fine-tub, sink, toilet, all spotless, floors mopped, carpets vacuumed. The towels became a running joke as to what we find each day upon our return.

We just stayed at AllStar Movies last November and found the housekeeping left a lot to be desired, too. We have stayed at All Stars in the past (Music 3 times & this was our second stay at Movies) and never had the problems we had this trip (bugs in the room, floors not vacummed, dirty mirrors, no "do not disturb" sign available, so housekeeping knocking on our door at the crack of dawn before we were even out of there, etc). I know Disney can do better, so this was disappointing, to say the least.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter