• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What has Disney removed that makes you the saddest?

Earlier today on the resorts board someone mentioned that CM are now asking guests to show proof that they are staying at the Poly before they are allowed to watch wishes from the beach. Really!! What's next? Please don't get me wrong or flame me, I love Disney and have for a long time. My husband and I honeymooned at Disney and for many years, until life got in the way we vacationed at Disney every other year, even doing a large family gathering at the GF. I returned to Disney this year with my husband for the first time in over eight years and plan on returning again in Sept. But... so much seemed to be missing and not a lot seemed added.

So to me the biggest thing changed was the loss of the beach at the GF. My family has stayed many times at the GF (main building) and when we went over this year to see our old stomping grounds I was shocked by the large ugly hotel stuck squarely on the beach. Instead of a picture perfect view from the GF balconies to the Poly you instead get to look at a large blocky building, that doesn't even look like it was thought out well. Where's the turrets and the whimsical fantasy look of the main GF building? And what happened to that glorious beach?

On a trip in early 1990's we were staying at the GF and I took my mother to V&A for dinner for her birthday and then we walked along the beach towards the Poly and sat on the little knoll that used to be there looking over the lake and back at the Grand all ablaze with lights and it was such a magical night. We watched the water parade with several other families and all these years later my mom remembers that evening. And now it's all gone. Makes me so sad. There are many other things, such as all the entertainment around Epcot's world showcase(remember the marble "statues" and the card player at the Rose and Crown) but the loss of the beach and all the memories my family had there is the worst.

To be fair to the CM's there are a lot of people going to resorts who are not guests there to use the pools etc.

The old Future World at EPCOT. Somehow having something educational made it easier to take kids out of school.

The fountain at Poly. It really made hotel magical.

The frozen cokes at POP. I know it is crazy but anytime I see one I think of Disney.

My 12 yearold still misses Tune Town.

My 19 year old misses Snow Whites Scary adventure.

Does anyone know if there's a nostalgia dvd sold by Disney or even a 3rd party marketer that might feature some of the iconic attractions and rides from '70s-'90s like World of Energy, If You Had Wings, etc?

I remember many years ago I used to see VHS videotapes in WDW gifts shops that showed highlights from the parks - sort of a video souvenir. Be great to have something like that to reminisce. We have old VHS tapes we recorded from our own trips, but they're too old and faded at this point...and murky/dark, as consumer video cameras back then weren't really good at filming inside rides.

You can find a lot of the old stuff at Walt Dated World - http://waltdatedworld.bravepages.com

The Adventurer's Club

Real hotdogs and hotdog buns - not chicken dogs on a sawdust roll.

Quality food and actual chefs who planned menus and had daily specials

Half prices rooms with the annual pass

Not having to book your meals and rides months in advance

The Adventurer's Club

Real hotdogs and hotdog buns - not chicken dogs on a sawdust roll.

Quality food and actual chefs who planned menus and had daily specials

Half prices rooms with the annual pass

Not having to book your meals and rides months in advance

Wowser I will second all this. Plus I have to throw in Off Kilter I always enjoyed listening to a set when walking around the world showcase

I miss SpectroMagic. I randomly start singing the song, and I can picture the beauty. I have a difficult time watching the electrical parade because it's lame, and the soundtrack gives me a headache

I wish they wouldn't have shut down pleasure island right before I was able to enjoy it. Everything was closed by my senior year of high school, so I never got to appreciate the clubs. My cousins and I would always talk about how we couldn't wait to get into those buildings and party. But no.

Being 52 years old and going to Disney World for the first time waaay back in 1972, I probably remember everything listed in this thread but a few things stand out for me...

Horizons and World of Motion in Epcot.

The breakfast buffet at the old Top of the World lounge in The Contemporary

The lobby in The Polynesian (I still remember the first time we walked into that lobby when we were kids. "Dad, there's a waterfall and a jungle right in the middle!...")

Swimming in Bay Lake, Discovery Island and River Country

Kitchen Kabaret and Food Rocks! I miss Pita Gabriel singing "High Fiber"...

The lack of crowds. We have some old movies of when we went back in the early to mid 70's and there was nobody there! Of course, back then it was only MK and the Poly, Contemporary and Fort Wilderness and some places along International Drive. (Our first stay was offsite at the long gone Carlton House! Think it's a Holiday Inn now.)

Mostly, I miss the Magic. Maybe I've been there way too many times or I'm just being nostalgic, but it's not the same. There's much to be said for walking down Main Street and seeing random characters you'll never see anymore. When's the last time anyone saw The Aristocats walking around?... Michael Iceberg in Tomorrowland Terrace? The old penny baseball machines in The Penny Arcade?

Oh well, time marches on and you can't stop progress. I'll be there in a few weeks with my DW and DGD. My DGD is 4 years old. Who knows, in 40 years she'll probably be lamenting the loss of something that won't be built for another 10 years...

Jim

P.S. I really miss The Toad...

Unique entertainment--very sad about Off Kilter. I'd go back to the adventurer's Club in a heartbeat, especially now that my kids are grown.

Really miss Mickey&Minnie's houses. I got my picture next to Mickey's pumpkin patch every year until they closed.

Really miss Mickey&Minnie's houses. I got my picture next to Mickey's pumpkin patch every year until they closed.

My list:
Toad
Horizons
Oriental Cheese Dogs
Grape Licorice
Top of the World Brunch
Little to no crowds the first two weeks of December

At WDW, I really miss Mr. Toad. And I know it wasn't the greatest ride, but it was just so much fun. Thankfully, we were able to ride it at DL last month and I laughed hysterically when we got to the room full of fire and brimstone and demons. My DH didn't realize that's where we ended up--his reaction was priceless!!!

I also miss the true Tom Morrow page. His poor party from Saturn will never get their ring returned!

And paper FP! Using those in DL was SO awesome! Although really, we didn't need to use that many--I miss having somewhat manageable lines!

My family didn't go to Epcot a lot when I was younger, but I did get to experience the original Imagination. I try to explain to my kids just how amazing it was.

My first trip was in the late 90s...

I miss the live entertainment that caught you by surprise and created a festive atmosphere...

Epcot world showcase acts...I don't care which they are I just want to be bombarded with street shows!

Parades at epcot, DHS, AK...wasn't the exact parade so much but again that feeling of something big is going on as you watched or even heard from distance.

I do t think I saw this mentioned but the New Orleans style jazz show on the liberty boat in frontier land. It was so loud but was also so festive.

Disney is too quiet now! I want to be bombarded with "what am I missing!" Feeling of excitement on every turn.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter