• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What has Disney removed that makes you the saddest?

Disneytam

disneytam
Earlier today on the resorts board someone mentioned that CM are now asking guests to show proof that they are staying at the Poly before they are allowed to watch wishes from the beach. Really!! What's next? Please don't get me wrong or flame me, I love Disney and have for a long time. My husband and I honeymooned at Disney and for many years, until life got in the way we vacationed at Disney every other year, even doing a large family gathering at the GF. I returned to Disney this year with my husband for the first time in over eight years and plan on returning again in Sept. But... so much seemed to be missing and not a lot seemed added.

So to me the biggest thing changed was the loss of the beach at the GF. My family has stayed many times at the GF (main building) and when we went over this year to see our old stomping grounds I was shocked by the large ugly hotel stuck squarely on the beach. Instead of a picture perfect view from the GF balconies to the Poly you instead get to look at a large blocky building, that doesn't even look like it was thought out well. Where's the turrets and the whimsical fantasy look of the main GF building? And what happened to that glorious beach?

On a trip in early 1990's we were staying at the GF and I took my mother to V&A for dinner for her birthday and then we walked along the beach towards the Poly and sat on the little knoll that used to be there looking over the lake and back at the Grand all ablaze with lights and it was such a magical night. We watched the water parade with several other families and all these years later my mom remembers that evening. And now it's all gone. Makes me so sad. There are many other things, such as all the entertainment around Epcot's world showcase(remember the marble "statues" and the card player at the Rose and Crown) but the loss of the beach and all the memories my family had there is the worst.

here's one - I miss the nice open space in Adventure Land that came to be Aladdin's Magic Carpet Ride - I have always felt that this attraction was not necessary and it diminished the appeal of the area with the increased foot traffic and lack of open space. I remember sitting there and enjoying a snack/ beverage while the family was in the Enchanted Tiki Room; that whole vibe is gone now.

I know what you mean. I love The World and I appreciate the changes that they have made, but every year when I go back I miss some things I remember from trips past. One such memory involves the Wonders of Life pavilion. I have such great memories of all of the attractions that I went to with my grandfather. He loved Body Wars. I remember Cranium Command and the exercise bikes with the video screens. Just a simple thing, but so much emotion and memory packed in that small corner of The World. :sad2:

The Adventurer's Club. What an amazing, totally unique experience. We didn't find it until our second or third trip, then got hooked! Loved the improv comedy aspect of the performances. And I was so lucky one trip to get pulled up onto the stage to take part in one of their "radio plays." My character was a Swedish nanny (or nurse, I can't remember exactly!). As I stepped onto the stage I had a moment of pure panic and stage fright -- then decided, "What the heck?" and just went for it!!! It was a total blast!

Kungaloosh!

I totally miss Mr. Toad. I am also sad to see the build-up around the MK lakes, plus all the buildings and deforestation of Disney in general. It also makes me sad that the value resorts look so very "value", like a motel 6. Would it kill Disney to make beautiful value hotels? That could be lovely and fit into the environment? I worked at the Frank Lloyd Wright home and Studio, and he believed in creating buildings that flowed with the environment and looked good - and that cheap could be beautiful. Why doesn't Disney do that? No, we get ugly huge value hotels. Ick.

And I agree with Adventure's club - it wouldn't have killed them to change it from a bar to a resturant a la Ed Debevics. Seriously Disney, you have your head up your **** when you closed that down. Oh, and losing Capt. Jack's. My Grandma and I would always eat there. :(

We stayed at the Polynesian Resort the first few times at WDW and I fear that the same is happening there. More buildings and a simpler lobby and so on might take away from those great memories that we have too. Time will tell.

I miss quite a few attractions, mainly in Epcot, and also a simpler time when characters could appear anywhere in the parks and ADR's and FP+ weren't pretty much a necessity.

Sleepy Hollow at MK's caramel corn. Only ever had it on our first trip in 2003- and by the time I remembered they ever sold it it had gone :(

Shame, Disney popcorn is awesome.

Also the rarer characters coming out. I met Prince John and Gideon from Pinocchio on our first trip- bet you can't see them anymore!

Oh my do I have a list of them. However, I'll confine myself to to just a few. I also miss the Wonders of Life Pavilion. Believe it or not but "Cranium Command" helped me to explain my son's ADHD to him so he could understand why he should take his medication. Believe me, he understood and made sure he didn't try to "fake" taking his meds the rest of the trip or we would have had more major meltdowns than we did.

I also miss having a cold chicken box lunch at Aunt Polly's on Tom Sawyer Island. It was so great to get away from the crowds for lunch.

Discovery Island (was that the name?) The boat Captain let my son "drive" the boat over for a relaxing walk through nature trails where my kids (now 25 and 26) remember vividly the encounter with a Patagonian Cavey on the trail.

Those are the ones attached to my memories the most. However, I also miss shade, benches, Horizons, full pavilions in Epcot, characters without lines, Alien Encounter and Honey I Shrunk the Audience (I'm likely the only one on that last one but it made more sense to the kids to visit the play area later in the trip after seeing the 3D attraction).

Not Nick Frankin...that is for sure!!!:thumbsup2

Disney Exec who lead MyMagic+ will leave company...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-disney-mymagicplus-executive-leaving-20140519,0,3642522.story

:rolleyes1

The fact that their "team" grew from 35 to 1,000 means the project is over budget. I mean, I can't really comprehend how a project compensates an increase of 965 employees on the tech side of things and then adds umpteen hundred extra IPAD-wielding FP+ CMs in the parks makes this look cool.

I'm more sad for what they haven't added than I am for those things they have taken away.

Legacy FP.

I haven't been going so very long that I remember rides like Mr. Toad, but I regret hearing lately about all the customer service that's seemingly going downhill. Tied to FP+/MB? Possibly. Either way, that's what I like best about Disney, and if that leaves completely, there will be no reason for me to travel that far for just regular rides and overpriced snacks. It's the feeling of happiness and friendliness that draws me back.

Duckburg is what I miss the most. There's probably not too many who remember, but even before Mickey's Toontown Fair was Mickey's Starland, they had the area of the park labeled "Duckburg" for the year of Mickey's birthday bash back in 1988. It's where I first met Mickey at age three, where my sister first hugged Minnie, and where I helped a family friend watch her young boys and my (at the time) young sister play around Donald's boat while everyone else went on the terrifying Alien Encounter (pre-Stitch). The stage shows with the Disney Afternoon gang were also a must-see for our family. Not that New Fantasyland isn't great.

The other which makes me just as sad is the loss of the original Journey into Imagination ride with Dreamfinder. :sad2:

The original Journey into Imagination!

The original was fantastic, inspired me as a kid and the only other ride to capture my attention and make me want to soak in every single detail is haunted mansion.

They shortened the track, turned figment into annoying as opposed to light hearted and curious.

From E-ticket to passable and a complete walk on.

I cling to the hopes and dreams that they will shut it down again and brought everything back to its former glory. I have no illusions that they will bring back the original....but do have the hope it will come back newer, fresher, and worthy of the original that Tony Baxter spearheaded. Cant wait to see the Marvel Comic about Figment and Dreamfinder. I hope they redo the ride with a younger dreamfinder !

Anyhow.....IiiiiiiiMMMAAAAAAggggiinnaaaattionNNNNN!
(and back to my own personal sanity :) )

Legacy FP.

I haven't been going so very long that I remember rides like Mr. Toad, but I regret hearing lately about all the customer service that's seemingly going downhill. Tied to FP+/MB? Possibly. Either way, that's what I like best about Disney, and if that leaves completely, there will be no reason for me to travel that far for just regular rides and overpriced snacks. It's the feeling of happiness and friendliness that draws me back.

Okay, I was going to say the paper FP :lmao:

Food Rocks @ Epcot (I always walk into the Land Pavilion and keep hoping it's back:rolleyes2 )
Mr Toad's Wild Ride!
Snow White's Scary Advneture

Also was there once a time where you would meet Mickey and the Gang in their houses? I vaguely remember that when I was little? That was great...

Miss all that stuff! I don't know about anything else but I also don't know anything from before the 90's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter