• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What has Disney removed that makes you the saddest?

Legacy fastpass and being able to park in any parking lot at DTD. I'm disappointed they closed the main parking lot closest to World of Disney to charge people $20 valet. They claim it's temporary but probably a test to see if they should do it permanently.

Legacy FP, this was the best. The one reason we preferred Disney to US, Seaworld, and BG. Now, to us it is not as great.

1) The original narration on the TTA

2) Riding in the front of the monorail with the driver and getting your co-pilot license

3) Appetizers on the dining plan

4) Tarzan Rocks

5) An unobstructed view of the Great Movie Ride building - the hat must go!

6) Meeting rare characters at the MK's 'tear drop'

7) The pulled pork on Whispering Canyon's skillet

8) The original Test Track - hope Bill McKim and Sherry found jobs

9) River Country

10) ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter - Stitch? Really?

Earlier today on the resorts board someone mentioned that CM are now asking guests to show proof that they are staying at the Poly before they are allowed to watch wishes from the beach. Really!! What's next? Please don't get me wrong or flame me, I love Disney and have for a long time. My husband and I honeymooned at Disney and for many years, until life got in the way we vacationed at Disney every other year, even doing a large family gathering at the GF. I returned to Disney this year with my husband for the first time in over eight years and plan on returning again in Sept. But... so much seemed to be missing and not a lot seemed added.

So to me the biggest thing changed was the loss of the beach at the GF. My family has stayed many times at the GF (main building) and when we went over this year to see our old stomping grounds I was shocked by the large ugly hotel stuck squarely on the beach. Instead of a picture perfect view from the GF balconies to the Poly you instead get to look at a large blocky building, that doesn't even look like it was thought out well. Where's the turrets and the whimsical fantasy look of the main GF building? And what happened to that glorious beach?

On a trip in early 1990's we were staying at the GF and I took my mother to V&A for dinner for her birthday and then we walked along the beach towards the Poly and sat on the little knoll that used to be there looking over the lake and back at the Grand all ablaze with lights and it was such a magical night. We watched the water parade with several other families and all these years later my mom remembers that evening. And now it's all gone. Makes me so sad. There are many other things, such as all the entertainment around Epcot's world showcase(remember the marble "statues" and the card player at the Rose and Crown) but the loss of the beach and all the memories my family had there is the worst.
~I kind of miss certain aspects of the old Test Track -- the new one is nice, too. I like the newer cars and the queue is much better so I guess that's part of the trade off. Disney also cut EMH hours & the monorail hours, so I miss those as well.

~But, I have to say I just *love* FP+ & the New Fantasyland looks fabulous with all of the walls down. I can't wait to see the new MK parade, the new Lion King theater & show -- to hear more details about Avatar-land and maybe a Star Wars "something" announcement.

~Disney World was flat out neglected for several years -- I am so pleased to finally see the parks receiving some much needed TLC! I can't wait for my Disney vacation! :cool1:

--Legacy FP

--3rd hour of Evening EMH

--Monorail service during all of Evening EMH (more monorail service, generally)

--Appetizer and tip included on the DDP

--Four For A Dollar

I miss Horizons! my all time favorite Epcot attraction.

I also miss the original Living Seas with the movie as the introduction and then the journey into Sea Base Alpha. Not the same without either.

Oh lots of things--World of Motion probably most. Followed by Horizons.

But Tony's breakfast as well.

And River Country

And too many restaurants to even list---

The old EPCOT Future World: Horizons, World of Motion, Body Wars, Kitchen Kaberet, original Journey into Imagination. The educatainment idea- we could learn something and be entertained at the same time.

MGM as a "working" studio- the shows & rides that showed you what it was really like- Superstar Theater was awesome, and the Backlot tour that took you down the backlot instead of the sad thing it is today.

Legacy Fastpass. With that program, only those in the park at the time had access to Fastpasses. Now, anyone in the entire world who is going to WDW can get a FP+, 30-60 days out from their trip. It forces people to schedule which days in which parks, far in advance of arrival. Does the average Joe Visitor know what he's doing that far in the future? And it's of no use if the actual day has bad weather, or a child is sick. All this fantasy pre-scheduling has tied up FP+ availability for nothing.

I miss ESPN the Weekend.

For us, it hasn't been worth going back in the spring since it ended.

I also miss Body Wars - I remember that being a favorite as a child. I second Honey, I shrunk the Audience, as well. Looking back at the trips I took with my family growing up, those two attractions stick out more than any that are still there :goodvibes

I totally miss Mr. Toad. I am also sad to see the build-up around the MK lakes, plus all the buildings and deforestation of Disney in general. It also makes me sad that the value resorts look so very "value", like a motel 6. Would it kill Disney to make beautiful value hotels? That could be lovely and fit into the environment? I worked at the Frank Lloyd Wright home and Studio, and he believed in creating buildings that flowed with the environment and looked good - and that cheap could be beautiful. Why doesn't Disney do that? No, we get ugly huge value hotels. Ick.

If I could "like" your post, I would.

I totally agree with what you said, word for word. :coffee:

20000 Leagues Under the Sea.
Cannot speak on FP- vs FP+ because I have not been to Disney with FP+. Hope to soon go and give a try.

Really miss old Test Track. I remember riding that ride for the first time when I was 6, and getting off screaming like a banshee because I was told that it'd be a calm- non rollercoastery - ride. I finally tried the ride again when I was 10, and I fell in love with it. My absolute favorite part was the feeling of thinking you were going to run into the wall, then the doors flying open, and being hit with bright sunshine and wind.
Also miss Toontown. Outside of Mickey's house, he had a pumpkin patch, and my mom would take a picture of me infront of it every trip to see how much I'd grown from trip to trip. I had hoped to be doing it for years and even doing it with my kids, but that dream was cut short.

Main Street Bakery. The REAL MSB. This one still boggles the mind to me... WHY take one of the most iconic, beloved,always full of people, parts of Disney and remove it/ ruin it? they could have put that Starbucks anywhere, but it had to replace MSB???

I really miss the smells from there and the yummy treats, the morning breaks we always took there. It's awful now. Packed, slow, not magical at all. When my Dsis and I were there in the fall, it was the longest line/ wait of the whole trip!

I also still really miss If You Had wings.

The old EPCOT Future World: Horizons, World of Motion, Body Wars, Kitchen Kaberet, original Journey into Imagination. The educatainment idea- we could learn something and be entertained at the same time.

MGM as a "working" studio- the shows & rides that showed you what it was really like- Superstar Theater was awesome, and the Backlot tour that took you down the backlot instead of the sad thing it is today.

Agree--that backlot tour is really sad compared to what it used to be---as for the working studio, we actually saw Dolly Parton as she was rehearsing for a new show (which never came to fruition).

I miss the Lights of Winter at Epcot.

The steel Drum band at Adventureland, I also miss.

The Dreamfinder.

I also miss the open space that used to be in front of Spaceship Earth. You used to be able to see everything. I'm not fond of the stone monuments. I know people paid money for that. I try not to dwell.

Disney has become a place where they push you to schedule everything. I miss being able to get around that. But I also realize that is never going back to that style of touring.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter