• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What else to do during Disney trip?

WooPigScientist

Woo Pig Sooie! Go Razorbacks!
* I wasn't sure where to put this thread - if this is the wrong board, please feel free to move me accordingly. I did scroll through the boards, but didn't see anything else I thought fit as well :upsidedow *

We will be visiting Disney the first week of January 2016 - 7 days/6 nights in the bubble, very excited! However, I've been considering tacking a few days on one side of the trip or the other to do a few other things in/around Orlando. We are traveling with our DS and DD who will be 5 and 3 at the time.

Any suggestions for activities outside of Disney? We will likely be staying offsite for that portion of the trip, then moving onsite (CBR) during our Disney week. My husband and I visited Sea World several years ago and thought that would be something the kids would really like, but other than that I'm drawing a blank. I would prefer things that were less theme-parky, as DH will have had enough of that in Disney! Although he did perk up at the mention of Legoland :rolleyes1

Thanks for any help!

I haven't been to WDW yet, but when we go I'd like to have a beach day (I've heard Clearwater is good), maybe go to Cape Canaveral and/or Kennedy Space Station, drive through the Keys etc.

Thanks for the help! We also visited Kennedy Space Center on our last WDW visit. DH wants to go back again, and flying kites and walking the beach at Cocoa Beach would be fun.

Somehow I managed to COMPLETELY miss the Orlando Attractions board!:confused3 I scrolled up and down looking at the categories I don't know how many times!

Haven't seen Gatorland - I'll have to look into that! The kids are fairly obsessed with Tick Tock Croc in Peter Pan - they would think gators are pretty cool!

Thank you! Not sure I'll be able to talk DH into it though - once he sees they have a zip line, he will be too afraid I'll make him go on it! :lmao: He has avoided them like the plague since I expressed interest in riding one several years ago! It's possible I might still randomly mention them JUST to see the look on his face :rolleyes1

I so want to do Gatorland one day. My DH thinks I'm crazy. We typically do one day not Disney during our trips. This year it is Universal. Next year, I'm hoping for Gatorland :)

How about just playing mini-golf on WDW property ?
The winter/summerland golf course is very fun and everyone gets a
souvenir to take home.

Didn't know they have minigolf! Looks very cute! And it would be a great backup if it's too cool to swim on our down day. We love minigolf! Wonder if they get busy in January.
Looked at it on the website - I guess you play both courses for one price? It lists it as Blizzard Beach Park - but I'm assuming it's not IN the park? We wouldn't have to have a ticket for the water park?
Have you been to the Fantasia course? It would be closer, but Winter/Summerland looks like neater decor. Thanks!

Gatorland is a lot of fun as it is such a slower pace than amusement parks. Our whole family enjoyed it. You can do Showcase of Citrus also. They do monster truck bus rides through orange groves and other lands. We really enjoyed that, and my youngest son was the kid chosen to drive the monster bus. He still talks about that. Clearwater is a beautiful beach area, and you have the added bonus of being able to visit Winter and Hope from the Dolphin Tale movies. St. Augustine has lots of interesting historical places to visit as well as beach areas. I would love to spend a few days exploring there.

You don't have to have water park tickets to play at Winter/Summerland because it is outside that park, just located next to it.
We enjoyed that one more than Fantasia because it was more child friendly. My 4 and 2 year old (at the time) loved it! Since you are staying at a Disney resort, make sure you check out your trip itinerary because there are usually coupons for free mini golf during your stay at either course.

My six year old loved Legoland for a day trip when we were last looking for something different. It certainly is not Disney but given you can usually get a kids admission free when you buy an adult admission it was a fairly good value. We are heading back down in October with both kids and will do a day trip to Legoland before they grow out of it.

Some onsite and offsite suggestions depending upon what you are into:
sports: golf, mini-golf, fishing, RPDE, marathon, bowling, ESPN Club, WWS/ESPN Zone, etc
shopping: DTD, area outlet malls, large scale malls
drinking: Jellyrolls, Raglan Road, monorail tour of resorts, walking tour of resorts in the Boardwalk area
movies: DTD 24 screen theater some with meals served by waiters
night clubbing: Jellyrolls, Atlantic Dance, Raglan Road, Citywalk
resort tours: monorail tour of resorts, Boardwalk around the lake tour of resorts, AKL/AKV
offsite: Gaylord Palms Resort, Citywalk, swamp tour

Gatorland is a lot of fun as it is such a slower pace than amusement parks. Our whole family enjoyed it. You can do Showcase of Citrus also. They do monster truck bus rides through orange groves and other lands. We really enjoyed that, and my youngest son was the kid chosen to drive the monster bus. He still talks about that. Clearwater is a beautiful beach area, and you have the added bonus of being able to visit Winter and Hope from the Dolphin Tale movies. St. Augustine has lots of interesting historical places to visit as well as beach areas. I would love to spend a few days exploring there.

Holy. Guacamole.

Thank YOU sooooo much for suggesting Showcase of Citrus. I would have NEVER stumbled upon it, and it is TOTALLY right up our family's alley!!! Not to mention, I am slightly more excited about THAT then Disney now LOL

Our first trip was a Florida Trip that included Disney:
Day1: Swim and relax at the amazing Orlando Hilton Resort
Day2: Cocoa Beach
Day3: Downtown Disney (Disney Quest), Resort/pool time
Day 4: Gatorland - the zip line IS super fun!
Day5: Magic Kingdom
Day6: Detroit Tigers Spring Training baseball game against Washington Nationals
Day7: IFly Indoor Skydiving

My kids were 11, 7, and 6 at the time. They LOVED everything we did.

Here are some more:)
Green Meadows Farm
Old Town USA
Medieval times dinner theater
Pirates Dinner Adventure
Airboat tours
Universal City Walk

Thank you everyone! I don't know how we'll possibly choose!

Day6: Detroit Tigers Spring Training baseball game against Washington Nationals

I would love to be there during spring training. We are big time St Louis Cardinals fans - it would be awesome to watch them in Jupiter!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter