~ What do you use for Frizzy hair at the World?~

DD (18) has hair that frizzes in the humidity. Pulling it back in a ponytail or other type of " do" is ok, but the top gets a-frizzin too. Other than wearing a hat does anyone have suggestions for that? But yet hair will still look ok and not made of straw if she takes it down. Don't really want to keep a hat on 24/7 you know. We're not big on hair products. Mostly just shampoo and conditioner around here. LOL

I find that hair products are a curly girls' best friend. Most curly girl's seem to be hair product addicts, always trying to find a new and better one.

The things that made the biggest differences -
1. Never brush dry, curly hair. Never. Ever. If you are trying to pull it back, wet it with water and use a comb if you are desperate.
2. Dry naturally or use a diffuser. A good diffuser. Never use a hair dryer without a diffuser. Never. Ever.
3. Don't wash curly hair every day. Getting it wet and conditioning works if you need to tame curls.
4. Put product on immediately after showering. I don't even step out of the shower. Put product on almost soaking wet hair. This makes a huge difference. It almost doesn't even matter which product.
5. Leave in conditioners are great. I use a leave in conditioner and then a styling cream immediately after styling.

As for styling product, she definitely needs one, but as to the brand, etc., it just depends. I love Rusk Wired - it seems pricey, but a little goes a long way and it lasts forever. However, I have thick curly hair that doesn't weigh down easily. If your DD's hair is fine, Rusk Wired might be too much.

Send your DD to http://www.naturallycurly.com/ so she can bond with "her people", as my DH says. We were watching a baseball game on tv the other night, and he actually went back (using Tivo) so I could see one of "my people" in the stands!

ETA - I realized that you didn't specifically say that your DD has curly hair, but most of this advice works for just frizzy hair too, esp. putting in product in the soaking wet hair. I'm fighting the frizzies, not the curls!

I use almond oil on my body as a moisturizer, and when I'm done, I just "wipe" the rest off my hands through my hair. Works like a charm. A 10 oz bottle is about $8.00.

I'm tempted to try this. I read an article about Indian women using coconut oil on their scalps and having much better hair because of it.

I have had naturally curly frizzy hair my whole life. I have tried getting my hair straightened but as another poster noted unless you flat iron it, you still get frizzy straight hair.

I found a product called Brazilian Keratin for $43 on ebay. My husband followed the YouTube instructions. It was a 3 hour process for him to do it but the results are unbelievable ..... it got rid of all my frizz. It used to take me an hour to blow dry my hair and 30 minutes to flat iron. Now it takes me 10 minutes to blow dry and 10 minutes to flat iron. Today I didn't even flat iron my hair and my hair looks great. It took a tighter curl and made it a bit looser but no frizz. I did the process a month ago and everyone compliments me. I am 40 and everyone tells me I look like a college kid. I even got carded last week. Also, before I used to use a ton of gel in my hair. Now, I don't even have to condition my hair, it is just so shiny. Seriously it is the best product ever made for people who have frizzy hair. I went to my hairdresser yesterday and she was in disbelief on how much a difference it made. The product says it will last 3-4 months. I will be a repeat customer. Good Luck.

So, it sounds like your hair is still curly? Can you post before and after?

I find that hair products are a curly girls' best friend. Most curly girl's seem to be hair product addicts, always trying to find a new and better one.

The things that made the biggest differences -
1. Never brush dry, curly hair. Never. Ever. If you are trying to pull it back, wet it with water and use a comb if you are desperate.
2. Dry naturally or use a diffuser. A good diffuser. Never use a hair dryer without a diffuser. Never. Ever.
3. Don't wash curly hair every day. Getting it wet and conditioning works if you need to tame curls.
4. Put product on immediately after showering. I don't even step out of the shower. Put product on almost soaking wet hair. This makes a huge difference. It almost doesn't even matter which product.
5. Leave in conditioners are great. I use a leave in conditioner and then a styling cream immediately after styling.

As for styling product, she definitely needs one, but as to the brand, etc., it just depends. I love Rusk Wired - it seems pricey, but a little goes a long way and it lasts forever. However, I have thick curly hair that doesn't weigh down easily. If your DD's hair is fine, Rusk Wired might be too much.

Send your DD to http://www.naturallycurly.com/ so she can bond with "her people", as my DH says. We were watching a baseball game on tv the other night, and he actually went back (using Tivo) so I could see one of "my people" in the stands!

ETA - I realized that you didn't specifically say that your DD has curly hair, but most of this advice works for just frizzy hair too, esp. putting in product in the soaking wet hair. I'm fighting the frizzies, not the curls!

I second this poster's advice. for those of you have curly hair and are fighting the frizzies, not the curls, i recommend you get your hair cut by someone who really knows how to cut curly hair. www.naturallycurly.com is a great place to find salon recommendations. my stylist is trained in the DevaChan technique and it's totally changed my life. I use the DevaCurl products, and they are a bit pricey, but amazing...better than constantly wasting money trying to find something that works on my thick, yet fine, curly hair. i don't wash every day and often just condition. i put product on my hair when it is very wet and then use either paper towels or a T-shirt (NOT a towel) to scrunch the water out of my hair. I usually air dry, but when i do use a hair dryer, i use a diffuser on low.

as for the brazilian keretin, this product uses formaldehyde and i have read several articles (including the NTY) on possible health dangers for both stylists and clients.

I have curly/frizzy hair and have used Paul Mitchell's Super Skinny
Serum, John Frieda's Frizz Ease products, and Citre Shine's Shine
Miracle Anti-Frizz Polishing Serum. They all work well in my opinion.
Price-wise, Citre Shine seems to be the best bargain.
My hair is shoulder-length, but as a pp mentioned, I wore my hair
in a ponytail most days because I couldn't stand my hair down on
the back of my neck!

I have extremely curly hair. I saw a new product called Brazilian Keratin that changed my life from having few good hair days to everyday's a good hair day. It takes away 90% of the frizz and leaves the curl.

me too! I did the Coppola Keratin Process...OH MY GOSH, where has this been all my life? I went from dryer/flat iron to AIR DRYING in Florida! I was amazed!

prior to this, i found this product I NEVER would have tried adn worked great when my biosilk/and anti-frizz stuff wasn't cutting it

it's in the ethnic hair section called "Twist and Lock Gel"...looks like a "goo" of sort, and I wasn't sure, but my one friend with ultra curly hair swore by it - so i put it in my hair on my trip to Florida in April, and sure enough, it totally blew away my biosilk and john frida anti-frizz stuff

my hair "grows" in humidity :rolleyes1 and keeps growing!

it was amazing! about $4.00 for a tub at Sally's, and now that my keratin process is coming to an end (3+ months) i'll be going back to this until the beginning of next summer when I get the keratin thing done again

me too! I did the Coppola Keratin Process...OH MY GOSH, where has this been all my life? I went from dryer/flat iron to AIR DRYING in Florida! I was amazed!

prior to this, i found this product I NEVER would have tried adn worked great when my biosilk/and anti-frizz stuff wasn't cutting it

it's in the ethnic hair section called "Twist and Lock Gel"...looks like a "goo" of sort, and I wasn't sure, but my one friend with ultra curly hair swore by it - so i put it in my hair on my trip to Florida in April, and sure enough, it totally blew away my biosilk and john frida anti-frizz stuff

my hair "grows" in humidity :rolleyes1 and keeps growing!

it was amazing! about $4.00 for a tub at Sally's, and now that my keratin process is coming to an end (3+ months) i'll be going back to this until the beginning of next summer when I get the keratin thing done again

So this keratin thing - does it work well on shorter hair also or not since the short hair gets cut out more often? My hair is above my shoulders but long layers and I get it cut about every 6 weeks when I color it. I would love to try this to get some of the craziness out of this hair of mine but is it easy enough to do at home? My hair is very colored. Base color plus 3 colors on top in high/low lights.

I have medium length hair, longer layers, but comes to my shoulders...shorter layers in the back...I read this thread on naturallycurly.com to help me decide:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=34814

I Loved it...it pulled most of the wave out, but left body. The first week it was "flatter" than normal, but then I could let it air dry and it dried straight..which would be impossible for me in the past

If you wear your hair straight, it's fabulous...but if you like it curly, maybe not.

I used to blow dry/then flat iron to "tame it"...and it's totally changed how i do my hair. I blow out my bangs only and let the rest air dry.

It cost a lot - about $300 - but it lasted me almost all of summer. I will 100% do this again before the start of each summer, but it's expensive, so I'll skip it during the cooler months. (I live in NJ)

This was the BEST thing i've ever done to/with my hair...and i'm a product junkie when it comes to trying stuff...

I'm 42....wish I had this for the last 20 years, ha!

I live in Fl. so I guess I'm use to the humidity. But if I were coming to DW on vacation from another state. I would just relax and enjoy that you are in DW. If it were me I would be the one with the HAIR:scared1: and a big DW smile.:rotfl::banana::rotfl:

2 products work great for me

bed head "after party" (walgreens, cvs) about $17, but worth it.
(small dot smoothed on dry hair works great)
john freida "anti-frizz humidity control" hairspray (pretty sure that's
the name...it's in a tall, grey can.) about $5

i don't like a lot of product, but i get so frizzy in the humidity.
these products don't feel like you have a lot in your hair.

good luck! :)

-pam

I use these products as well and have recently started using a flat iron. I have very fine hair that gets frizzy and wavy in the humidity. It's humid right now in NJ and the combo of the 3 seems to be working. You can find the hair spray in travel size, I can't remember if I got mine at Target or Wal-Mart.

I have naturally curly hair and by that I mean every strand curls its on way. Never brush as earlier stated your hair, comb your hair wet in the shower, use conditioner every time you shower but only shampoo every other time. Every month or so use a hair cleaner- it gets rid of all the excess soap and gunk that can accumulate- I really the Neutrogena product.

Invest in a really good curl diffuser and I really like Fructis Mousse- never gel and serums tend to with my hair break under the pressure so to speak because as I stated earlier every strand of my hair is different.

I have gone in May during the rainy season and had really great hair days just takes a little time- stay away from putting your hair in pony tails too often as it can really do damage to your curls!

The older I get, the curlier my hair has gotten. This past trip I actually wore my hair curly/wavy for most of the time. The trick is to have a lot of product in it - antihumidity hair mousse and then some gel and when it is dry, some hairspray and spray shine. But I do like silky straight hair too and the big secret is Kerastase Oleo Relax - way pricey and way worth it. My hair feels like silk and stays that way no matter how humid it gets.

I'll tell you what I do thought at Disney that I think is the best. In the morning, I don't shower - just wash my face. Then I put my hair up in a clip so it is off of my neck (I agree, a ponytail can give you a headache) and let all the unruly curls look kind of funky (I use bobby pins if I have random pieces or to give some different dimension - twirl a section of hair, then stick the bobby pin in so it points toward your face, under your hair. It gives some body to the hair and some interest with funky curls). Then I put SPF15+selftanner on all over. I let it dry for 5 minutes while I make my hair look presentable and put on some lip gloss and face powder. Because I am putting on the self tanner, I get every spot on my body so the SPF works wonders (and I am typically a SPF 30+ kind of girl but that's at this mountain high altitude) and I get some nice color without hurting my skin. So I know in the mornings I will get hot & sweaty so I don't care as much about the perfectness of my hair (and who cares if I get wet on Splash Mountain). Then in the afternoon, we go back to the resort and swim (again, who cares about the hair if you are just going to get it wet). I go back to the room a few minutes before the hubby & kids and shower then do my hair. It stays nice for our evening in the park and since it isn't as hot, whatever 'do' I have stays - straight or curly.

Garnier Fructis Anti-Frizz Serum! When my hair was much longer, it controlled the frizz and left gorgeous, soft curls. You can find it at drug stores, grocery stores, etc. And it smells yummy, too!

I am so happy to see a thread for the curly haired girls! Last time I went to WDW I wore my hair in pigtails and I'm hoping to not have to do that again.

I am in love with this product! The Garnier line is great. I also like their smoothing cream.

I also like Sunsilks "Beach Hair" spray, which gives you kind of tousled waves.

I have really thick hair, and LONG and when it gets wet from the rain it curls. To prevent it from frizzing up from the heat, and curling from the rain, i simply blow dry my hair then straighten it. then i spray my hair brush with hair spray and run it trough my hair. worked all 3 years i went! :) hope that helps!

I have really fine hair and recently got it permed for some volume...but I love to just leave super curly. I haven't found any products yet that don't weigh my hair down besides mousse....but then the mousse tend to dry out my hair...any advice???

I just bought Garnier Fructis' Anti-Humidity Smoothing Milk for our trip and I'm hoping it will work nicely. I tried it yesterday and my hair looked pretty nice, but it's not humid here in Washington. :laughing: However, it did not frizz up like it usually does.

I plan to put a lot of that stuff in my hair as soon as I get out of the shower and then finish with a curl gel to hold it better while we're there.

Like several other posters, I now swear by the Keratin straightening treatment. I just got it and will never go without it again! I have thick straight hair but give me a little humidity ( I live in the South - so we have lots of that) and my straight style becomes a frizz ball. I'm going to Disney in October and am thrilled my hair will finally look good on a trip there! I've been out in the rain since the treatment and STILL no frizz - I wake up and it even looks good! It's pricey - $250 in the salon, and it lasts 3-4 months - but it is well worth it. Takes me half the time to do my hair in the a.m., which will be an added bonus for my Disney trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter