What do you do with people that cut in line to meet up with group?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course my children are special. It's OUR vacation. If you don't like me taking my kids out of a potential melt down at your feet....sorry, lol. You people are funny...truly.

I'll vote for kids in line having a melt-down.

It was my and my 2 kids, 1 kid rode with hubby and the other with me. Did it really cost anyone to miss their dining reservations?

If everyone took the "just me and my 2 kids" attitude, the line would be four times as long as it looks. People who get in the line thinking it's 20 minutes would end up waiting 80 minutes. Many of the people who get in a 20 minute line would not have gotten in an 80 minutes line. This is one reason Disney wants families to enter together -- when people come through later to rejoin their party, then the time estimates people use to make their choices of whether to get in line or not are wrong.

Everyone who only chose that line based on the false information your absence provided, who would have otherwise spent their time doing something else they enjoy more, was robbed of their time for your benefit. This is basic logic and simple math; why is it so beyond you?

My child is special too. Special enough to know that if you want to ride a ride or see a show etc you wait your turn in line. If you tried to get past my husband his response would be your husband can come to the back and wait with you but you are not going past our daughter who has been waiting her turn in line.

My sentiments exactly! :thumbsup2

We tend to go during slower times now so we don't have the problems with this like we used to when we went during peak times. We were waiting in line for Toy Story Mania last December and the wait time posted was 55 minutes. I can't even count how many people cut in line to get back to their group (at least a dozen). It's particularly easy to do in this line as well because of how it loops around. We ended up waiting over an hour and a half. My Dad (who has the least patience of any of us) went to the CM at the beginning of the ride line when we got off and suggested they have someone monitor the lines. She stated that they basically don't mind and that they're more tolerant on this ride "because of all the people with little kids who need to go to the bathroom" :confused3.

I've never found this to be a big problem. :confused3

If one person wants to catch up with their family we don't care. If someone needs to take their kid to the bathroom and comes back, no problem.

A big group trying to join one or two people ahead would be an issue, but we must be lucky since we've never had that happen.

I am all for entering line together, I do not get it, I had to fix my child shoes while husband got in line. He did not have to run for his life, did he, he could wait few minutes. However I do not mind a parent taking a kid out at some point and returning later, waiting in line is painful enough to listen to meltdowns and in some lines I am about to have meltdown, what to say about kid.

It's a difficult situation, I personally have never cut however for a ride like say Snow White or Winnie The Pooh, The CM asks how many people you're with (Think both rides hold 6 people per car) and even if there are only 4 of you, they put you in your own car with no one else. So if a family of 4 or 5 where waiting in line and another family member wanted to join them then they may aswell because it wouldn't make a difference to the rest of the line, if they don't join, those seats would be left empty anyway. So for things like that, it wouldn't really bother me.

at least that's what it seemed to the angry people in line...actually we don't cut and if somehow we get separated in line, the two people who were ahead, step aside and wait for the other two to catch up. However last time we went to "swim with the sharks" at Typhoon Lagoon, we stood in line and finally had our chance to don our facemasks and flippers at the edge of the pool. We were about to go in the water when my youngest son accidentally broke the strap on his facemask. The CM told my husband to go back out, get another mask at the front and cut back through the line to join us. My poor husband had to face elbows, jeers and nasty comments as he tried to make his way back to us at the dock...I kinda wish the CM had explained the situation to the people in line so they'd give my husband a break...

I have never found line cutting to be an issue. Most people that have ask to cut me in line over the years usually have a small child in tow and it isn't an issue for me to gladly let them pass.

Standing shoulder to shoulder in line across the path does not constitute assault, particularly if the person who is cutting the line has no reasonable expectation of being allowed ahead of the person blocking their path.

A line jumper barging into someone who is blocking their way as they cut the line could be construed as battery under Florida law. If they threaten physical violence before doing so, it could include a charge of assault. Here's some light reading on the subject...
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...ng=&URL=0700-0799/0784/Sections/0784.011.html
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...ing=&URL=0700-0799/0784/Sections/0784.03.html

Besides being illegal, it's just plain rude, spoiled and childish. Choosing to commit a physical assault in response to someone non-belligerently holding their own place in line is an inappropriate response, which an intelligent person would have learned in elementary school.

You might be at Disney World with your family, but when you didn't get in line WITH your family, as far as I'm concerned, you just declared your intent to ride the ride alone.

Yes, there are always exceptions, such as illness, sudden calls of nature and the like, but getting FastPasses, buying refreshments, or riding other rides for your own convenience at the expense of others who are patiently waiting in line ARE NOT acceptable exceptions.

If your family/group isn't together when they get in line, they should have no expectation of riding together.

Let me say it again... The family that gets in line together, should not have to whine together.

Seriously, I don't understand why some people here are so quick to defend the churlish bullies or wanna-be scam artists who never learned that getting in line and waiting your turn is the civilized, accepted norm.

Of course, this is just my own not-so-humble opinion. :laughing:

:thumbsup2 Absolutely this. I'm our family's fp runner - simply because I'm a fast walker anyway and my kids are meanderers. So, I run ahead for the fp and then MEET my dh and kiddos at the ENTRANCE to the line for whichever ride we've decided upon. They do not get in line and wait for me to catch up. And for those who think it's totally acceptable to have part of the family "hold their place" in line while they take junior shopping and for snacks because "they get bored" waiting in line, I say that's what fp were created for - not the standby lines.

for those who think it's totally acceptable to have part of the family "hold their place" in line while they take junior shopping and for snacks because "they get bored" waiting in line, I say that's what fp were created for - not the standby lines.

I agree with you here but for EVERYONE. One reason I didn't deal with any of these issues last week is that we never waited in a line that was more than 10-15 minutes long. There aren't too many things in this world, Disney rides included, for which I would wait more than about 5 times the length of the attraction, and only a few more for which I'd wait more than double. I want at least 50% of my life to be doing the things I came for, not waiting for them to start.

There are a few rides, of course, for which waiting in line is part of the fun. Disney does that very well. At Winnie the Pooh, they even have a separate children's waiting area so that kids CAN play around while their parents wait in line, and then rejoin them later. I'd gladly wait 30 minutes in that line while my kid enjoys all the little parts of the playground waiting area. That's fantastic, but it doesn't apply to most of the rides.

It saved time with him waiting then us joining him in line.

So You were never in line to begin with, therefore You and your children cut the line:rolleyes:. We would all love to be doing something other than standing in line as well, we do it because we have no other choice if we want to ride:confused3

A line cutting thread! Just when I thought there wouldn't be another :laughing: Ok, I jest and I'll bite!

I am usually the person that doesn't care about one person catching up to their group - or even two. But then last year we were at Soarin which has the worst 'line' ever because it is so wide. A group of 4 men were walking up through the line, "excuse us, pardon me" until I said, "no." My DH was mortified. I told the men that there was a line. They said they were trying to meet up with someone. I told them their party would wait for them. Two of the men left the line (slunk away) and the other two stood behind us for a bit. They were stopped at the turnstile part and as we went down the left path, we looked behind us to see them leaving the line. I don't know if the CM said anything or not but they left the line. After that, the family behind us said THANK YOU! DH was still mortified and I told him not to be. I was teaching the kids that they can not do that (they were watching the whole thing). And I wasn't rude or mean or loud. Just matter of fact.

I will say that you really have to weigh whether saying something is what you want to do. While I still feel fine about it, I did not like that my DH was apologizing to everyone and it made for an uncomfortable evening for us. If I had just let them cut (and they WERE cutting), it would have been a whopping 4 people in front of us and no embarrassment for my husband (and me not being mad at him for not supporting me) and most likely the kids would have never really noticed. So - is it worth it to you?

If those cutting to meet up with their party doesn't change your wait, i.e. two waiting, 2 more catching up for a ride that seats 4, then I say no worries.

I tell you, using the Single Rider line and the Fast Pass line really did feel like "cutting" sometimes. I could see people in the slow-moving line next to us wondering what we did to deserve zooming past them.

What's really weird is sometimes last week, on a couple of rides (Rock'n'Roller coaster comes to mind) you could get a fast pass for a time that was sooner than the listed stand-by wait time! E.g. at about 1:10 pm, the standby time said 70 minutes but there were fast passes available for 2:15 pm.

Now if only I could un-live having ridden Everest, I'd be happy. That ride was nearly the undoing of me. Maybe if I'd gone in the slow line I'd have come to my senses before getting to the front of the line....

...My Dad (who has the least patience of any of us) went to the CM at the beginning of the ride line when we got off and suggested they have someone monitor the lines. She stated that they basically don't mind and that they're more tolerant on this ride "because of all the people with little kids who need to go to the bathroom" :confused3.

That's funny because every time we have been on TSMM, the CM outside the attraction has told all parties to stay together, that they could not bypass other guests in line.

:thumbsup2 Absolutely this. I'm our family's fp runner - simply because I'm a fast walker anyway and my kids are meanderers. So, I run ahead for the fp and then MEET my dh and kiddos at the ENTRANCE to the line for whichever ride we've decided upon. They do not get in line and wait for me to catch up. And for those who think it's totally acceptable to have part of the family "hold their place" in line while they take junior shopping and for snacks because "they get bored" waiting in line, I say that's what fp were created for - not the standby lines.

:thumbsup2 Well said!

You know what I mean; those people who have a member of their group stand in line. Then several members of the group or family come through the line saying 'excuse me' like they have a special place in line ahead of you saved.
This happened to me at several rides including the safari at AK, TT at Epcot, Star tours at DHS. I can't think of more off the top of my head but it did happen at every park(also @ universal but the lines there were in general shorter).
Would I be right in NOT letting these line cutters through? What do you guys do? Just let them barge through? I don't want to start a whole thing with someone in line, but I do feel it is really unfair to those who are waiting. Especially when you get several adults cutting in front of dozens and dozens of children who are waiting along with the rest of us.

I always move over and let them in. Then I continue to enjoy my day. I don't know their circumstances.:)

This sense of entitlement some people have truly irks me. It's this I'm-hollier-than-thou attitude that causes the most problems during queuing. NO, your kids are not that special to everyone else, they are not better than the Smith's kids, who spent every single minute on the line with their parents or the Johnson's family, who had to take one of their daughters to a potty break and returned to the line as soon as possible and did not go to meet Cinderella just over there where mommy kept their place in line. Rules are there to be followed. If the policy at Disney states that your family should be together BEFORE they enter the queue, and you decide to ignore that policy, be damn sure you are not joining the rest of your family if you have to go past me.

Besides, if it's a FAMILY vacation, shouldn't every member of your family experience the whole meeting the characters, riding POTC, getting an ice cream, TOGETHER? Or did you bring along dearest husband just to be a place holder?

Ah, so rules only apply to others and not you. (It is against the rules to not allow somebody to pass, Disney's rules say to tell a CM).

Sounds like entitlement to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter