what do you do all day waiting for an evening flight back home?

jclark3

Mouseketeer
I'm looking for ideas of how to occupy our time after the bus drops us off at the airport and our flight doesn't leave until 8pm. I'd rather not rent a car but use public transportation instead.

Sorry to say there isn't much to do with the exception of walking around the airport (which is a very nice one) and shop or people watch. You really do NOT want touse the public trasportation in Orlando. You may have to sit next to a vagrant or worse even the bus doesn't get you back to the airport in time. There isn't alot around the airport with the exception of a few places to eat and hotels. If you were to use a cab it will cost a fortune to get anywhere. Have you thought about staying over in the Port area? There is a very nice Zoo and always the beach etc.
Hope I helped :confused3

Do you mean the only way to get to an attraction--say Sea World-- from the airport is to rent a car?

I would get a day room at the Hyatt inside MCO. You can use the pool or relax in your room until the flight. Here's the info from Hyatt.com

HYATT REGENCY ORLANDO AIRPORT DAY RATE
Are you arriving at the airport with hours to go before your flight? For only $75 plus tax, you can enjoy a day room at the Hyatt Regency from 10am until 6pm. Take advantage of all of our hotel facilities including the Roman style swimming pool, fitness center, one of our award winning restaurants, and room service. We want to spoil you until the final moments of your vacation or business trip so that you can return home fresh and relaxed.

Contact the Front Desk at (407) 825-1234, ext. 50 or Reservations at 1-800-233-1234 for more information and to reserve a room for the day.

We are renting a day room at the Hyatt inside the airport. I called this week to reserve a room for April and I was told the rates just went up to $89, but that allows us to use the room, relax and use all the facilities at the hotel, such as the roof top pool. I asked her if we need more than one room, since we have six people and she told me not to worry about it since we won't be sleeping there.

You can reserve a day room at the Hyatt and have a place to change, shower, sleep, etc., as well as get access to their pool (great idea especially if you are travelling with kids). If you don't have kids, you may want to check out the d_parture spa in the main section of the airport. They offer chair massages, manicures, pedicures, etc.

I have the same dilema. My flight does not leave until 9pm. If I am using Disney Transfers, can I check my luggage at the airport and go back to one of the parks for the day?

My TA told me that Disney has a deal with the airlines to store our luggage once we get to the airport. And then it gets put on the plane, we don't have to deal with our lugguage at all. We just need to find something to keep ourselves busy. Off-hand, I think I'd rather go to Sea World than stay cooped up in an airport hotel...

I'm sorry but I live here and entertain alot of visitors, unless there is some shuttle I don't know about a bus or cab is your only option. Please remember traffic is terrible around the airport.

How much would a cab cost from the airport to Sea World?
My TA also said she once took a shuttle from the airport to some downtown Orlando shopping promenade. Anybody know anything about that?

We are renting a Budget rental car right near the port and then are able to drop it off at the airport - paying the daily fee. Actually getting one the day we arrive to port as well too. All said, it comes a little over or even under $100 for round trip transfers with an intermediate car, much less cheaper than disney transportation. We will be doing Sea World that day as we have free tickets. I don't know if you are able to get your transfers refunded but here is a link that explains more.

http://www.dcltribute.com/carhire/

I don't know how many of you there are, but for about $45 a day you can rent a car. You cancel DCL transfers rent a car at the airport, drive to the port, drop it off and go on your cruise. After the cruise you get a rental car and either go to WDW for the day (theme park, Downtown Disney, waterpark). sea world, Universal, or spend the day at the Kennedy Space center. This would probably be cheaper than the DCL transfers and also give you the freedom to do what you want on the day you disembark.

We like to people watch.
It is fun to see the energy and smiles eveyone has as they deplane and head towards baggage claim to begin their vacation. Ah, family love.
It is even better seeing them in the terminal after their vacation/cruise. No one wants anything to do with their family. The same people fighting with the ticket agent to get them seats together on the way down are now fighting with the agent to get seats apart or on different flights.

It complicates things because we're doing a land/sea vacation. I really don't want to be bothered with a car at all on this vacation. We usually drive from Atlanta, but this time I decided to fly and give myself a vacation from driving (those of you who live in cities and commute, know what I mean!) With the cost of gas, plus the cost of two nights in a hotel in Valdosta (midway), driving is just about as expensive as flying!

Also, the cost of transfers is actually quite reasonable-$69 per person-when you consider Disney must get us from the airport to the hotel, from the hotel to the port, and then back to the airport again.

But thanks anyway to all of you who've responded. You have some good ideas. :earsgirl:

have you called Disney?

Do they have a bus that transfers to their resorts from the port instead of just the airport? Then you can go back to WDW, and then go to one of the parks or Downtown Disney then take another shuttle back to the airport. I honestly have no idea if that is possible but it just crossed my mind. I didn't know that you had the land/sea package - it makes more sense to keep the transfers. Good luck with whatever you decide!

I'm gonna have to wait all day for my flight on Sunday coming off the Wonder. As of now, I hope to be watching the NCAA tournament at the airport bar!

Just called Mears. They charge $29 rt for a shuttle from the airport to Sea World. Plus the cost of the attraction, which I think AAA sells for $49 ea.

I've decided to follow Luckymommyx2's advice and get a day room at the Hyatt. It's $89 but they'll allow us to stay there until right before our flight leaves (8:30pm)
The boards are full of comments from people who have done this and report it was a wise move. After being up late on the ship the night before, folks were too tired to hope to another park. At the Hyatt you can nap, swim in the pool and eat meals in your room.

I took the shuttle to Budget rented a Car, then headed to Downtown Disney, but after checking the time, it was 9:30am, I decided heck why not, took a sharp right and went to Magic Kingdom!!! We had a wonderful morning there, did the best rides, breezed thru the park (it was cold and drizzling, but nothing for us NH-ites)... went to Tony's on Main Street for an awesome late lunch, then headed to Orlando Int'l for a 7:30 flight home.

By 11:00 I was in bed laughing at the thought I was in MK this morning, trying for a high score in Buzz Lightyear!!!
:rotfl:
I recommend a rental car, and a day in DD or maybe even AK.
I was on Main Street a little after 10am.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter