What Disney Tip Are you really glad you listened to?

Discussion in 'Disney World Tips' started by barbaraann, Mar 22, 2005.

1. 8lovesmickey

8lovesmickey I'm movin' on, say goodbye to me...down at the Lau

After many trips, I have given up extra clothes / shoes for the convenience of not carrying anything. I wear a waist pack that is big enough for money, tickets, my phone, my camera, small sunscreen and a pack of wet wipes. The lip gloss goes in the pocket. My husband carries his money & tickets and the folded ponchos (.99 from WalMart so if we have to dump them we do). Of course my kids are older so that makes it easier to travel light! I always wear walking-type sandals, so if they get wet it isn't too tragic. If everyone really wants to ride Kali or go to the splash area, we do that last thing. We have souvenirs sent back to the room. Call me crazy but that's one of the things I love about a Disney vacay- nothing to tote around except my excitement!!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. VACamm

VACamm DIS Veteran

You have the saaaaame park packing strategy as I do :) Except i carry a small vera bradley saddlebag instead of waist pack

4. DreamfindingJordan

DreamfindingJordan I'm Lumiere!

please... BRING EXTRA SOCKS TO THE PARK!!!!

If you get your shoes wet, and can't change them, wearing dry socks makes everything more comfortable and you won't even notice that your shoes are wet!

Also... Invest in good ponchos.

You won't be happy when you're soaking wet and walking off of Kali because your dollar store ponchos didn't work. I reccommend buying the Disney park's ponchos, they work really well and last for a long time.

Hoped a 13 year old expert's advice helped you guys!

:figment:Jordan:figment:

5. KittyyKattyy

KittyyKattyy **Mythical Beast**

How could I not think of this!!

6. mom2jcg

mom2jcg Mouseketeer

I always dress my 3 boys in the same color shirt...doesn't have to be the same shirt, just the same color. Looks nice for pictures, but if one wanders off, I can immediately remember what color shirt he has on, making it easier to find him.

7. denamo

denamo Mouseketeer

Ashley and others who have posted great tips,

Thank you so much! We did WDW when our now grown sons were much younger. We will only have one day at WDW since we will be on a Disney cruise and this is one of our port days. We are starting in AK since that park was non existent when we went previously to WDW. Want the chance to do the Kilimanjaro Safaris. Would appreciate any input as to whether this is a good place to start. After that we'll probably head to Epcot. Not sure what time to expect to leave AK.

I've already adopted the idea that we will love whatever we have time to do and see and not lament what we couldn't get to. It will only be my husband and myself. We can hardly wait! A day at WDW is definitely better than a day at home! :)

8. Disneymoon2013

Disneymoon2013 Dec 2013: 1st time to WDW, getting married, & Disn

:thumbsup2 Just wanted to thank Ashley and everyone else for all of the tips in this thread. I just signed up on DIS, but I've been a lurker for the past 4-5 months. This thread was especially helpful.

9. Thumper_Man

Thumper_Man DDC 684

Great compilation Ashley. I've compiled most of the tips on my computer, but never thought of posting them.

In this list, you mention the same thing twice. I'm still reading through the rest of the lists, but wasn't sure if you wanted to edit this list.

10. Thumper_Man

Thumper_Man DDC 684

Kim Possible is no longer available. It has been replaced with Agent P's World Showcase Adventure.

11. Thumper_Man

Thumper_Man DDC 684

If this is the same trail I'm thinking of (part of the exit to Its Tough To Be a Bug); when DW and I were there this past December, it was closed off. DW and I knew about this trail and would often use it as a short cut. This looked to be like a permanent closure. Can anyone else confirm this? We used to use this path as way to get from Africa to Asia. We tried to use it again and we surprised to see it closed. Forced us to go the long way around now.

12. Thumper_Man

Thumper_Man DDC 684

ADR's for this are usually made 2 months in advance. Not 180 days out. Keep checking often though as you never know when they'll change or open up the dates. And yes, they do go quickly. ::yes::

13. Thumper_Man

Thumper_Man DDC 684

Just wanted to add a little to this. You can go to Guest Services at any of the parks and ask them to print out the list for you. D'Sis started collecting pennies our last trip. She was wondering if there was a list. When we went to GS to add a day to our tickets, we asked if they knew if there was a list and they said "yes, there is. Would you like us to print you out a copy?" They did free of charge.

14. Thumper_Man

Thumper_Man DDC 684

Again, props to you for putting together the lists. :worship:
    I hope you don't mind my comments and correcting/adding some information. I don't want you to think I was picking on you. Just trying to help provide you (and other readers) with some current information.

I hope you and your family have a wonderful vacation. ENJOY THE MAGIC!pixiedust:

15. Thumper_Man

Thumper_Man DDC 684

Another thing I love to us my smartphone for is to keep track of my ADR's. I use the calendar to list my ADR's for each day. There's a place to add comments and I list my confirmation # there. I also have a notepad app that I use to write some of these wonderful tips everyone has shared. I know some people like to use index cards for this. I personally love using my phone for this. One less thing to carry in the parks.

16. seasidespences

seasidespences Mouseketeer

I do these exact same things! I love using my phone as my calendar and for reminders. Like you said...it's a great place to log all those ADR confirmation numbers.

17. rjb123

rjb123 Mouseketeer

This is a great idea! silly me has been lugging my day runner with me when I could just use my phone! I use paper/ pencil at home but really don't need it at WDW!:thumbsup2

18. mecllap

mecllap <font color=limegreen>"Skamps"<br><font color=mage

One way to travel light to the Parks is to throw fashion to the wayside and wear cargo shorts (or capris). You can stuff all sorts of things in those (including a string backpack for later if you start acquiring things). Ponchos, camera, phone, wallet, water bottle, etc. And then you can skip bag check.

If you stay at, or visit, Animal Kingdom Lodge, take binoculars. Some animals are close, but others are seen better with some aid.

Pay attention to all the details in all the Parks (even the walkways and restrooms). Enjoy all the imagination and creativity. But, also, don't sweat the small stuff.

And speaking of sweating: a wet bandana around your neck can really help cool you down in hot weather, and a mister is great (just make sure that kids understand they can't spray other people without permission). A mister helps keep my DGS hydrated; he loves to spray it into his mouth (even Florida water, which is actually quite drinkable).

Even staying on-property I'm a big fan of having a car. The only Park I like to take the bus to is MK (getting back to parking there at night is painful; of course, so is waiting for the bus). There is always something I need to go get off-property anyway (but I do tend to stay at least 10-12 days, and I don't eat much Park food (probably would be okay for a 5-6 night visit to do without a car with a dining plan, if no one got sick).

19. SMWfamily

SMWfamily Stinkerbell

Best thread ever! I will try to add a few tips that are unique from our 10 day vacation at DW back in 2010. I sure learned a lot.

• Buy a fancy princess dress on Ebay or a costume store on line, and bring it to Bibity Bobbiti Boutique. My daughter had an extremely beautiful Belle dress that looked like it cost 100 dollars in the BBB store, it was 22.00 dollars on clearance at a costume retailer online.
    • If you get mild nausea on rides like Soarin' or anything that moves like I do, including boats, monorail, even the Peter Pan ride, don't let it side track you. Use Sea-bands. You can buy them at Walgreens or CVS. Put them on your wrists BEFORE you take the bus or car to the parks and do not take them off. They have literally freed me to do almost any rides with zero nausea!
    • If you can't get reservations at BBB, or you don't want to spend the $$, the barber shop on main street does a fabulous job on everyone's hair, the barbers are so friendly, there's sometimes a character there, and they will doll up your kids for the day for a fraction of the time and money.
    • Probably been mentioned before, but on a hot day, Tom Sawyers Island is a great couples get away. It is so surreal to be almost alone on an island with thousands of bustling people in the park. The caves are dark and cool on hot days, and it's a great little place to get away from all the stimulation and just climb around and explore and take some really unique pictures of the Train roller coaster.
    • If you have little ones, do not miss the Play and Dine Breakfast at Hollywood Studios. My kids danced their heads off for almost two hours and the food was amazing. If they are Little Einstein fans, this is for them... We then got to walk around the park and take amazing pictures on vacant streets before it opened. One of my favorite all time memories of Disney was that morning.

20. Dweaver8

Dweaver8 Earning My Ears

Where do you go for reservations? I looked online but could not locate it?

21. Ashley0408

Ashley0408 Earning My Ears

Thanks. And no offense taken. I worked there back in 2005 but this will be our first trip back so most of my tips were from previous tippers. We head there in May so these tips will change... Thanks for all your input, I'll edit them once I'm on the computer :)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards