What Disney Tip Are you really glad you listened to?

We don't buy the park hopper option ahead of time, but decide when we get there if we need it. This is DH and my 4th trip and we have yet to add on hoppers.

Pack those tiny single serve drink mixes for "special" drinks. My kids got sick of water with their meals but adding in some lemonade woohoo they loved it.

Several people have mentioned the cell phone number tattoos for younger children but what about older kids? We travel from Canada so although we all have cell phones, roaming charges are high. We always pick a central place and if we get separated, we meet back there.

Question: I read that after you use your FP+s for the day, you can get FP- from the kiosks. Do you do this with your magic band?

Question: I read that after you use your FP+s for the day, you can get FP- from the kiosks. Do you do this with your magic band?

Yupp. Just head over to one of the kiosks and cast members are there to assist you. The reader will take a magicband or ticket (for off-site guests that might not have magicbands).

This is a great thread!

Using a touring plan.
Arriving at rope drop.
Zip loc bags.
Buying souvenirs at discount stores in advance and leaving Tinker Bell gifts each night. It added to the magic AND saved money. Magical and practical. What could be better?!?

Moleskin!
Ziplock Baggies
disposable ponchos
pop up hamper
drink packets to add to water - I thought water was nasty, DD25 was ok with it.

I wish I would have brought my own cold medicine, even though I wasn't sick when I got there. Got sick mid trip and paid mucho for day time meds at the gift shop in hotel.

We are driving down in September and I will pack a medicine chest, lol! And as we are staying at Bonnet Creek in a condo, I will buy water at Walmart, bottles and gallons for making tea.

Moleskin!
Ziplock Baggies
disposable ponchos
pop up hamper
drink packets to add to water - I thought water was nasty, DD25 was ok with it.

I wish I would have brought my own cold medicine, even though I wasn't sick when I got there. Got sick mid trip and paid mucho for day time meds at the gift shop in hotel.

We are driving down in September and I will pack a medicine chest, lol! And as we are staying at Bonnet Creek in a condo, I will buy water at Walmart, bottles and gallons for making tea.

I actually prefer using a water bottle with a filter. The tap water with drink mix just tasted like tap water with drink mix to me!

I know a lot of these points have been discussed already, some in posts from years ago... But I absolutely recommend a self-filtering water bottle, like the kind Brita or Bobble make. Florida's water can taste brutal (mom grew up there and blamed it on sulphur- not fun stuff!), but you definitely don't want to get dehydrated! I like being able to filter tap water in my room with these for overnight and such.

With regards to attractions, I think there's something to be said for trying rides and shows that don't immediately jump out at you. I can't tell you how many times I've tried something that I'd never cared about on a whim and left completely charmed by it. If you have the extra time, catch a new show, go on a new ride, or take a moment to stop and watch a street performer. On the flip side, don't feel pressured to do something just because it is in demand. I used to feel like I HAD to go on Peter Pan every single trip, despite the long lines or having to rush there early morning or late night post-fireworks. Now I let it go. I've experienced it before, and although I can see its appeal, I know that it's not one of my personal favorites. I'd much rather use that time to re-ride Space Mountain :love:

I also want to encourage people to explore the resorts! I had toured Disney many, many times before venturing out of the parks and away from my own resorts. There's so much to see and do, especially as an adult visiting without children, and it really can make a vacation that much more memorable to try a new resort restaurant or explore a resort's lobby; after so many vacations, many of my park memories run together, and it's often the "new" resort memory that stands out a couple of years down the line!

When we brought our stroller we put a resuable shopping bag in the bottom. so when we left the park at night and had to close up the stroller on the bus, we had a bag to stash everything in a quickly.

Last year we did the table service plan. On our first night there I went to the gift shop and bought a postcard that would match each adr location. Then wrote one out each night to my son and placed by the door, to make it look liked it was slid under the door. He throught he got "invited" every day to the special lunch or dinner, his face was priceless every morning! Not to mention, great souvenir that he looks back on now.

Break mid day was a tip we finally listened to and those last days of our trip were so much better...

A few more...

...took a day off when we got home-never been so tired in all my life as when we got back...little depressed, too...it was nice to have an extra day off

...purchasing something (new lotion scent, etc) that I used after the trip-made me remember the fun times we had after the fact

...taking time each day to just sit and enjoy the sights and smells

...NOT doing Park Hopper..felt like I had to hop when I had it

...ordering beverages from Garden Grocer to have in the room after a long day...such a nice treat

...basket to hold all next day essentials on the table-made getting out the door less stressful each morning

...white noise maker- A MUST...my kids snore! :rotfl:

...peppermint foot soak each night in the tub after walking in the park all day=HEAVEN

...two pairs of sunglasses...one always gets lost/broken

...extra suitcase to bring home all the extras that get accumulated

...journal entry every night-it's still fun to look back and read those

...Photo Pass...that way everyone is in the picture

...laying out each person's clothes the night before in the hotel-again, makes mornings so much easier

Responding because these are great tips...even after years!

I get really sore feet whenever I go to any theme park for multiple days. It doesn't matter what shoes I am wearing. My mom had me try Salonpas. They are pain patches you can buy anywhere. I put one on each foot at night after a full day in the park and in the morning my feet felt as good as new. They are really cheap. I purchased a pack of 40 for $5 at my local grocery store but you can probably find them cheaper at places like Walmart. I highly recommend them!
Awesome! Thanks for this tip!

She will have a ball! It's a wonderful age to enjoy Disney. They don't get as tired, no strollers to deal with, a bit more adventurous.

Suggestions: Get an appointment at Harmony Barbershop to have her hair done. It is fun, much cheaper than Bibbidi Bobbidi and cute.

Take her to Japan in Epcot and go to pick a pearl. It is about 15-17.00 and you pick an oyster and they get your pearl out. Pick the ugliest oyster you can find.

The crystal store in Germany at Epcot is fun, too. I found a tiara for DD there that was JUST beautiful!

Club Kool at Epcot is the Coca Cola's from around the World and you can taste all kinds for free. Kids love this.

There is a silhouette place to the left of the castle in MK, across the bridge, before Hall of Presidents. It is fantastic. They do an awesome job. For 8.00, if you get a frame, I think we paid 15.00 and they give you 2 silhouettes.

Festival of the Lion King, Kilamanjaro Safaris, Flights of Wonder are ALL great attractions at Animal Kingdom for kids.

I don't know how ride adventurous she is...but, great down time rides are:

PeopleMover, Railroad, Liberty Boat, Tom Sawyer's Island...nice for a rest.

My DD loves Pirates, Big Thunder Mtn, Splash (MK) Kali Rapids (AK) and Mermaid and Toy Story (DHS), Soarin', Spaceship Earth (Epcot)

Have a great time!

Definitely, Definitely go to Osborne lights in DHS - magnificent!

Are there any other places to have the silhouettes done?

When we brought our stroller we put a resuable shopping bag in the bottom. so when we left the park at night and had to close up the stroller on the bus, we had a bag to stash everything in a quickly.

Last year we did the table service plan. On our first night there I went to the gift shop and bought a postcard that would match each adr location. Then wrote one out each night to my son and placed by the door, to make it look liked it was slid under the door. He throught he got "invited" every day to the special lunch or dinner, his face was priceless every morning! Not to mention, great souvenir that he looks back on now.
Awesome and cute ideas!

Amazing tips!!!

BRAVO!!!

Here are the tips I'm glad I listened to:

1. Use a grocery delivery service for water, soda, adult beverages, snacks, breakfast items, and personal items you don't want to carry on a plane. We used Garden Grocer and they were awesome. Order 60 days in advance for a 10% discount.

2. Rent a car and use carrentalsavers.com for great rates. We got a full size for $130 Sat to Sat. We drove to/from airport and all parks except MK. Controlled our own destiny and saved a lot of time.

3. Rent a stroller from one of the independent vendors that deliver to your hotel. It's cheaper than in park rentals and you can take them out of the park. Who wants to wake a sleeping child at closing time and carry them to the car, bus, or hotel? ...not me! We used Kingdom strollers and it could not have been any easier. Approx $65 for the week.

4. Bring gallon size zip locks (or add to grocery delivery). I pack whole outfits for kiddo -- bag contains shirt, pants, underwear and socks. Squeeze the air out before you pack to save room. In the morning, grab a bag and get dressed. Need to throw extra or warm clothes for later? ...grab a bag and toss in backpack or stroller bag. Easy to get through security. Extra bags hold snacks, cell phone on water rides or during storms, wet clothes or ponchos, leftovers, smelly things...you name it and a gallon size ziplock makes it better!

5. Liquid hand soap in a pump. Love, love, love this tip (add to grocery order). So much nicer than slimy bar soap and a little touch of home. Feels so much cleaner.

6. Pop up hamper. Another tip I LOVED!! We had four people in one room for a week and it kept the room so much neater. Some people do laundry mid way thru their trip, which works great, but we had no intention of doing laundry. Instead, mid way thru when it was full, I just took an empty duffel and shoved it in. Voila! Empty hamper. At the end of the trip, shoved the rest in and a big chunk of packing was done. I underestimated this tip but it was awesome and the other adults commented how nice it was.

7.Collapsible hanging shelves for closet. There was a lot of discussion of lack of storage after the remodel of the Grand Floridian and with 4 people in one room we had a lot of clothes. I picked one of the up at Target and loved it. So much space.

8. Speaking of Target, I have now paid for two trips to DLR and a trip to WDW by purchasing Disney Gift Cards at Target using my Redcard to save 5%. May not sound like a lot but $50 per thousand adds up quickly. Only drawback is that they only come in $50 denominations, so be prepared to use a stack of cards.

9. Rain ponchos not umbrella. ...'nuff said.

10. Buy and use Tables in Wonderland card to save 20% at most table service locations on food and beverages (including alcohol). Layer with 5% off Giftcards for savings of 25%.

11. Lastly, plan downtime and do not exhaust yourself and your group trying to see it all.

Thank you to everyone for all the great tips that made our trip so much nicer!

1. Pop up laundry hamper. Best thing I packed.
  2. Less is more. Pack half the clothing you think you need and do laundry mid week. Facilities onsite are nice and take debit cards. Machines are also HE so bear in mind if you bring detergent.
  3. Make ADRs but don't be afraid to cancel if you don't want to be locked into a reservation. our best meals had some spontaneity.
  4. Talk to people - met some amazing folks while waiting on or riding resort bus
  5. Change shoes. If not midday, alternate pairs each day
  6. Pack meds like seasonal allergy medicine and pain relievers. Incredibly $ at gift shops. Same goes for band aids.
  7. Check weather in advance and pack for temps but bring ponchos and a rain jacket. It will likely rain and possibly for just a moment.
  8. Memory maker was a great value for us. First time I've ever been in photos. :/
  9. Pack Ziplocs for wet suits etc
  10. Pack a power strip. With two adults and two 8+ kids we had a lot of devices needing charging.

We pack a suitcase inside a suitcase. If you are going to shop at all, then you may need the extra room going home. If not, just pack it inside again.

I know a lot of these points have been discussed already, some in posts from years ago... But I absolutely recommend a self-filtering water bottle, like the kind Brita or Bobble make. Florida's water can taste brutal (mom grew up there and blamed it on sulphur- not fun stuff!), but you definitely don't want to get dehydrated! I like being able to filter tap water in my room with these for overnight and such.

With regards to attractions, I think there's something to be said for trying rides and shows that don't immediately jump out at you. I can't tell you how many times I've tried something that I'd never cared about on a whim and left completely charmed by it. If you have the extra time, catch a new show, go on a new ride, or take a moment to stop and watch a street performer. On the flip side, don't feel pressured to do something just because it is in demand. I used to feel like I HAD to go on Peter Pan every single trip, despite the long lines or having to rush there early morning or late night post-fireworks. Now I let it go. I've experienced it before, and although I can see its appeal, I know that it's not one of my personal favorites. I'd much rather use that time to re-ride Space Mountain :love:

I also want to encourage people to explore the resorts! I had toured Disney many, many times before venturing out of the parks and away from my own resorts. There's so much to see and do, especially as an adult visiting without children, and it really can make a vacation that much more memorable to try a new resort restaurant or explore a resort's lobby; after so many vacations, many of my park memories run together, and it's often the "new" resort memory that stands out a couple of years down the line!

Has anyone recently ordered a case of water from Staples and had it delivered to their resort? I got that tip years ago, and used it, but back then there was free shipping from Staples. No free shipping now :( or am I missing something...is there a code for free shipping at Staples that I don't know about?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter