What dish do you think is just eatten in your region?

That's exactly how we would make our own too! Finally, my sisters went to a Mexican restaurant in AZ and asked them how they made them. I think they spread some kind of crisco (or something like that) cook them until they are crispy and then put cheese on them to melt them. I need to find out the exact recipe.

If you find out let me know. I'm craving one now!

I love stawberry pretzel salad. I haven't had it since we moved south. My coworker used to put nuts in it. Yum. Could someone give me the recipie? I'm alreay slobbering. Something we have in NC is pimento cheese. I'm not from around here so I have no idea what the appeal of pimento cheese is. It's like a mushy orange cheese spread with pimentos in it. I have adapted quite well to the house wine of the south- sweet tea. I'm so used to the sweet tea that I was sort of taken aback when I was in NY last month and I was given unsweetened tea.
The pretzels TASTE like nuts, but I've never had it with actual nuts.

I didn't know pimento cheese is an NC thing. I don't like the mushy stuff at the store, but my mother makes GOOD homemade pimento cheese. It's shredded cheddar with pimento and mayo -- it's kind of a "salad" sandwich like chicken salad or tuna salad, but cheese is the star item.

Sweet tea . . . uuuum. Nothing like it, and only a Southerner can make it right. Forget instant stuff. Gotta be real. Chick-fillet sweet tea is okay, but there's no real substitute for homemade.

I'm not "all over", but I have NEVER heard of either of those--and Kentucky is just a State away!!!

Huh. Well, cool.

Hotbrowns are yummy (but very fattening). Here's the recipe:

8 slices of bacon
4 slices of turkey breast
4 slices of toast
4 slices of tomato
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup millk
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese

Cook the bacon until crisp.

To make the sauce, in a saucepan, melt butter and add flour to make a paste. Add milk and stir constantly over medium high heat until sauce thickens. Add cheese and stir until well blended.

Place toast in a baking pan placing a slice of turkey on each piece of toast. Pour cheese sauce over turkey and place a tomato slice in the center of each sandwich. Then put a piece of bacon on either side of the tomato. Place under the broiler until the cheese starts to bubble and begin to turn slightly brown.

I wouldn't touch Burgoo with a ten foot pole, but it's basically meat (mutton, squirrel, anything you can think of), lima beans, okra, corn, potatoes, cornmeal, and spices. It's cooked for 24 hours or so, so it's really thick. They serve it at the Derby.

Something else...

I was born and raised in St. Joe, Michigan and most restaurants there served "deluxe hamburgers." They are hamburgers with lettuce, tomato, mayonaisse, and sliced green olives. YUM!

If I ask for green olives on my burger here, people look at me like I'm nuts.

Anyone from Maine will tell you that you can only get a RED HOT DOG in the state of Maine!!! They snap when you bite into them!! Yummy!!! Anyone one ever have french fries with salt and vinegar on them??? Sooooooooo good!!!!
I'm hungry!

Anyone from Maine will tell you that you can only get a RED HOT DOG in the state of Maine!!! They snap when you bite into them!! Yummy!!! Anyone one ever have french fries with salt and vinegar on them??? Sooooooooo good!!!!
I'm hungry!

:thumbsup2 I love my french fries with vinegar. MMM.

Huh. Well, cool.

Hotbrowns are yummy (but very fattening). Here's the recipe:

8 slices of bacon
4 slices of turkey breast
4 slices of toast
4 slices of tomato
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup millk
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese

Cook the bacon until crisp.

To make the sauce, in a saucepan, melt butter and add flour to make a paste. Add milk and stir constantly over medium high heat until sauce thickens. Add cheese and stir until well blended.

Place toast in a baking pan placing a slice of turkey on each piece of toast. Pour cheese sauce over turkey and place a tomato slice in the center of each sandwich. Then put a piece of bacon on either side of the tomato. Place under the broiler until the cheese starts to bubble and begin to turn slightly brown.

I wouldn't touch Burgoo with a ten foot pole, but it's basically meat (mutton, squirrel, anything you can think of), lima beans, okra, corn, potatoes, cornmeal, and spices. It's cooked for 24 hours or so, so it's really thick. They serve it at the Derby.

Holy COW (or Bacon!!) I could almost feel my arteries hardening while I was reading that--but it sounds SO good~!!!! Guess this wasn't the best thread to read after deciding to change my eating habits!!! The highlighted sounds DISGUSTING!!! My uncle was a big hunter and his family would eat whatever he killed (oppossum, squirrel, raccoon--whatever) YUCK!

pyrxtc said:
surprised it has not been mentioned, fluffernutters. Peanut butter and fluff sandwhiches. I knwo it's a New England thing.

For those that don't know, fluff is just like melted marshmallows in a jar that you spread with a knife. My kids can't eat enough of them.

My DGS LOVES these!! We actually have a restaurant here that serves them on the child's menu!!

Beignets
Central Grocery Muffuletta
Olive Salad (for the Muffuletta)

Gulf Shrimp
Louisiana Oysters
Poorboys - fried shrimp, fried oyster, or debris

Fried pickles in MS and AR

Great! Thanks alot! Now I am dying for one of these!!!

most of the things I was going to list have been said... ie sweet trea, boiled peanuts, chitlins
Only other thing I can think of is leather britches= dried grean beans.

You dry them out in the sun and they turn brownish. then cook them with plenty of water.
Oh and pickled green beans. Not the thin french type of green beans you see occasionally in the speciality section that are very "pickled" and eaten cold. These have just a mild acidic flavor and you eat them hot.

Oh and chow-chow.

Add ettoufe, mayhaw jelly, oyster/shrimp poboys, pistolettes (stuffed bread that is deep fried), cracklins, boudin, hog head cheese, dirty rice, etc etc etc...

there are lots of foods in Louisiana that you can really only get here.

oooo, hogs head cheese!!! YUMMY!!!

halupki! I'm a Pgh girl.

Isaly's Chipped Ham......I stock up when I'm back home and bring back a few pounds.

most of the things I was going to list have been said... ie sweet trea, boiled peanuts, chitlins

You dry them out in the sun and they turn brownish. then cook them with plenty of water.
Oh and pickled green beans. Not the thin french type of green beans you see occasionally in the speciality section that are very "pickled" and eaten cold. These have just a mild acidic flavor and you eat them hot.

Oh and chow-chow.

Yep, I was the boiled p-nuts and chitlins.....I see we are both from Georgia.....imagine that.;) Gotta love that chow-chow - I'm also a big fan of pepper salts on all vegetables.

Oh and chow-chow.

would some kind, southern soul please tell me how to make sweet tea? I got addicted to it when I worked at Duke, but could never seem to make it right.

-Then the Beef on Wick - I find many people who have never tasted a wick roll with the salt on top. The AuJu must be added!

Many people see horseradish as a necessary condiment on a beef on weck sandwich. A kimmelweck roll has coarse salt on top and often carroway seeds on top.

A roll without the toppings is a "hard roll". I've rarely seen them elsewhere. Most places rolls are either chewy all the way through (a dinner roll) or dense. A hard roll is light and airy, chewy inside and a bit crisp on the outside.

Powdered doughnuts with bavarian cream filling - I can only find them in WNY. Elsewhere, bavarian cream only comes in chocolate topped doughnuts and powdered doughnuts only have jelly inside.

As a recent transplant to the south I am enjoying the fried chicken,sweet tea and Eastern Carolina BBQ!! But I miss many of the ethnic foods I had in the Northeast. On a recent visit up North I had to bring back a cannoli for a co-worker who could not understand how the same cheese that goes into lasagna could be in a dessert!! I have a question about Birch Beer, is it available in other regions?

would some kind, southern soul please tell me how to make sweet tea? I got addicted to it when I worked at Duke, but could never seem to make it right.

My Mom made it this way...

6 teabags - put in a small pot of boiling water. Take it off the stove, cover it and let it sit for 20 minutes.

Then pour the hot liquid and press the tea bags to get the tea out of them.... add 1 cup sugar and then mix well.

Add cold water to that dissolved sugar mixture to complete a 2 quart jug.

Very sweet tea! Since then, my family has cut back a bit on the sugar... between 1/2 and 3/4 but if I am really missing my Mom... it's a full cup!

I'm able to get Birch Beer here. I really can't think of anything that is just eaten in this region though.

Yumm, BOUDIN!!!!! Wish I had some right now!

Let's see, the foods I would consider Southern.......

Turnip Greens with Hot Pepper Sauce
Skillet Corn Bread
Grits
Chili and Slaw Burgers
Fried Corn
Chitlins (Though I can't stand them)
Bread Pudding with all kinds of different things mixed in from caramel to raisens, chocoloate, lemon etc. etc.
Fried Green Tomatos (the best things in the world)
Humm don't know if it's southern but we have Fried Dill Pickles too.
Humm, I'm sure there is tons more I'm not thinking of.

Oh and my DH couldn't live without his sweet tea. He loves Sonic's sweet tea. It has enough sugar to make you high.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter