What dish do you think is just eatten in your region?

I forgot to mention one thing about Pittsburgh that I have not been able to find anywhere else and I have been to alot of places with the army!

On our steak and chicken salads, we add french fries! A typical steak salad is lettuce, diced steak, shredded cheese, hard boiled eggs and topped with hot crispy french fries covered in catalina dressing.

I now live in Harrisburg which is only 3 hours away from Pittsburgh, but it's next to impossible to get french fries on my steak salad. I have to request it as a seperate order and add it myself.

Hmmm. I have never heard of this. I am a big fan af all things potato, so I must try this. My DH laughs at me all the time. If I get 2 veggies with a meal, I usually get french fries and mashed potatoes.:thumbsup2

Here's how we made egg creams when I worked at a cafe (can't vouch for the authenticity, but they were darn good!):

squeeze chocolate syrup and vanilla syrup into the bottom of a tall glass (as much as you like) and pour in club soda. Mix it up really well. Add a splash (1/2-1 inch) of half and half to the top and stir again.

They're easy enough to make at home (vanilla syrup is the kind they have at starbucks or whatever that they put in a vanilla latte -- you can get the syrup at some coffeeshops and some grocery stores -- an alternative is to leave it out and add a little bit of vanilla extract). I like mine with ice.

Mmmm, that sounds delicious.

I've found that most people have never heard of pierogies, so they must be a regional thing (NE PA).

They are also big in Chicago -- we have a very large Polish population here. I had never had them before meeting my husband, but now I find them everywhere -- even Sam's club.

I haven't gotten past the original post... people don't eat Pretzel salad elsewhere???? That makes me sad!! I don't know that I could imagine a world without it!! ;)
Well I've discovered it thanks to this thread. So I'm bringing it to the Midwest!!!!:rotfl:
Here's how we made egg creams when I worked at a cafe (can't vouch for the authenticity, but they were darn good!):

squeeze chocolate syrup and vanilla syrup into the bottom of a tall glass (as much as you like) and pour in club soda. Mix it up really well. Add a splash (1/2-1 inch) of half and half to the top and stir again.
I make mine differently. I mix milk (I use my son's 2% for this ;)) with Hershey's chocolate syrup so that it's really chocolately. Then I add club soda or seltzer water until it's diluted enough to my liking. :thumbsup2

I make mine differently. I mix milk (I use my son's 2% for this ;)) with Hershey's chocolate syrup so that it's really chocolately. Then I add club soda or seltzer water until it's diluted enough to my liking. :thumbsup2

I think that's basically the same idea -- I've made ones like this at home, too. The general idea is chocolate + club soda + some kind of milk/cream. I also enjoy drinking club soda with hershey syrup (no milk/cream) -- tastes like a soda version of a tootsie roll!

Don't know if anyone has posted this already because I only read the first and last page of the thread but I believe it to be a very interesting one. I grew up in WV and growing up I guessed I just assumed people all over the country ate the same things. Boy was I wrong! After my husband and I got married we moved to south Mississippi. We eat red beans and rice, gumbo, fried pickles(YUM!!), crafish etufee(spelling?) brocolli salad. We also eat rice with everything, alot of cream cheese, crackers with everything and gallons and gallons of sweet tea!!

First of all: after so many vacations in the US, I'm still wondering what grits are???

Regional food: Waffles.
First of all, there is NO such thing as a "Belgian waffle". period. There are Brussels' waffles. They are very light, and served with powder sugar, whipped cream and/ or strawberries. They are usually eaten on a Sunday afternoon, you know, or for special occasions. you know, like when you would go out to get some special ice cream :)
Then there are the waffles from Liège. They are very rich, and contain lots and lots of sugar. They are usually sold in malls and in shopping streets, from place like where you would get an ice cream cone. People eat them while shopping, just like you would eat an ice cream during shopping :)

Waffles are NEVER eaten for breakfast (unless you have made them at home, and have some leftover and threat yourself to something special).

Every waffle that I have seen in the USA that was called "Belgian" was an insult for my country and its waffles. really.

Something else very typical is "americain". It's like beef tartar: raw ground beef, mixed with the yellow part of an egg, mayonaisse, pepper, salt, all kinds of herbs, Worchester sauce, ...
You eat it either on a roll or you eat it with fries. I absolutely LOVE it!

grits are ground corn is all. Also a favorite of the South! People love eat them with butter and salt or cheese. I did not grow up in the south so I dont have a taste for them like that I adore grits with maple syrup but people in the south see that as blasphemy:rotfl:

First of all, there is NO such thing as a "Belgian waffle". period. There are Brussels' waffles.
Then there are the waffles from Liège.
Waffles are NEVER eaten for breakfast (unless you have made them at home, and have some leftover and threat yourself to something special).

Thank you so much for making this distinction! I did not know that because every time I've had them in restaurants they have been called simply "Belgian".

Thank you so much for making this distinction! I did not know that because every time I've had them in restaurants they have been called simply "Belgian".

I know, and I have no idea why they call it "Belgian" waffles. But, if you're ever in the neighbourhood, I'll introduce you to the real stuff! :yay:

I forgot about Fried Green tomatoes!!! The key to those are that you have to buy green tomatoes (green tomatoes are not red tomatoes that have not rippened). They are coated with a cornbread and fried pretty quickly. YUMMY!

Come over to AL and get a fried green tomato sandwich from LULU's (Jimmy Buffet's sisters place) in Gulf Shores. It's best dipped in MANGO TANGO Sauce!

I haven't read the entire thread but has anyone said Chicken and Dumplins? I am sure they eat them in other parts of the country but them "yankees";) can't make them like "Momma".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter