What did they do to Space Mountain

smallworldnh

DIS Veteran
This used to be a huge favorite of ours and we've ridden it many times, but not since 2008 - before the refurb. This time was awful! It was rough and jarring and even knocked the breath out of me once when my chest hit the bar. Has anyone else found this to be the case? I don't remember it ever being this rough!! :confused3

/shrug before and after seemed about the same to me. Granted I only rode it slightly before the refurb, then after so I dont know about any ways back then that..

IMO those tracks need a rehab as well. As the OP said it used to be a favorite ride of ours, but the tracks seem a heck of a lot rougher these past couple of years. I too get the wind knocked out of me and it never used to be like that. It's not a fun ride for me anymore, instead of screaming at the drops and dips now it's more of an "oooooof" or an "ugh" - but I still go on it because it's Space Mountain!

Yeah, I've read a lot of complaints about it lately on these boards. It didn't seem bad in Aug 2011 but when I rode it this past May it was so jerky I hurt my hip and felt slightly nauseous afterward. It's time for some improvements.

Could it either be that we are all just getting spoiled with the newer technology of smooth rides which makes this seem old and jerky??? OORRRR... are we maybe just getting OLD and rickety ourselves and it really isn't the ride that's changed at all, LOL :rotfl2:

Could it either be that we are all just getting spoiled with the newer technology of smooth rides which makes this seem old and jerky??? OORRRR... are we maybe just getting OLD and rickety ourselves and it really isn't the ride that's changed at all, LOL :rotfl2:

;) I wasnt going to bring that up.:lmao:

I thought it was just me the last few times I have ridden it, but apparently it wasn't just in my mind. I, too, used to love to ride SM, but the last few times, it's felt much rougher to me as well to the point I bowed out riding a couple of times with my family. Like I said, I thought it was just me and getting older and not enjoying thrill rides as much as I once did, but maybe it has gotten rougher afterall.

It is definitely more jerky than in the past. I rode it this past April, solo. My 5 year old was too afraid, and my DH has a bad back, so he chose to sit it out. Good thing he did! When I got off, I felt nauseous and my back needed an adjustment from a chiropractic! I used to just LOVE SM. Now, I am going to avoid it. It needs a major overhaul. I am still trying to figure out what they did during the last one?:confused3

Michelle

I hurt my hip so I considered that too. I hope not! I'm only thirtysomething. I'd hate to think I already have to be cautious of breaking a hip falling off a sidewalk or something.

Yep....terribly jerky and painful. Very disappointed last time.

Probably won't ride again.

I've never ridden SM until 2010, but have gone to DW 5 times since then. SM is my favorite ride. A little jerky, but not too bad. I always sit in the back and never have a problem. I don't have any aches or pains afterwards.

Actually last month, I seemed to get jerked more going up hill on BTMRR. Halfway up the big hill there was a big jarring that gave me back pain, but it didn't last long.

I think I left a kidney somewhere around the third drop of SM a few weeks ago. If anyone finds it, please let me know.

Yeah, it's a lot rougher in my opinion. I won't be riding again until my little one is big enough to go on it, and maybe not even then. :scared::crazy2:

We had the same conversation this last trip. We go every year and ride a couple of times. I have noticed the last couple of times it seemd very rough, but just thought it was me. My parents went with us this year, and my dad noticed too. I think ( I am sure someone will correct me if not), that they either got new cars or refurbed them, so that might be it:confused3. I doubt it is the actual track. Or maybe we are just getting old:rotfl2: It was my DD's first "roller coaster" at 5 YO, and I had no problem letting her try it, she loved it. Now she is 15, and our youngest is 5- and there is NO way I will take her on it this time.

yes rougher. we were in DL this summer & that's one thing I noticed. when we got off the ride we all agreed SP was rougher.

It seems way rougher to me also. We've gone to WDW almost every year since 2000. Many times in the earlier years we would ride over and over. Now, once is enough for me. It's the hard up and down jerks that are the problem. It's a little better in the front, but not much.

It's my favorite ride at MK and I've ridden it hundreds of times over the years,after the ride was refurbished there were many people on these boards saying the ride was smoother than before,I didn't find this to be the case but I definitely don't feel the ride has gotten rougher at all.My mom is 63 years old and also rides it all the time with no problems.

I found it to be very uncomfortable last time I rode it, which was after the rehab. Before, my stomach used to get all flipped out, but everything else was fine. This last time, my stomach was fine, but my back and neck took a beating.

Yes, it is painfully rough. They need to replace the tracks like they did at DL.

wow- reading this makes me feel better about not being able to go on it my next trip! lol (Kids are too small) :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter