What did I do wrong?- walking reservation

andyc83

Disney Enthusiast
So, my aim was 6/4-6/10. Started about 2 weeks ago walking a 6 night reservation. Booking each morning changing 1st and last day (1st thru 7th, 2nd thru 8th, 3rd thru 9th, etc.)

Well, on June 2nd the 7th in the middle of the trip which I already had in my reservation (6/1/22-6/7/22) said it was fully booked. Is there something I did wrong that wouldn’t let me book 2nd thru 8th? I already had the 7th booked from the previous day so I should have already had a reservation under me for that day.

Pretty disappointed. Went fine for 2 weeks then right at the end experienced this. 😔

So, my aim was 6/4-6/10. Started about 2 weeks ago walking a 6 night reservation. Booking each morning changing 1st and last day (1st thru 7th, 2nd thru 8th, 3rd thru 9th, etc.)

Well, on June 2nd the 7th in the middle of the trip which I already had in my reservation (6/1/22-6/7/22) said it was fully booked. Is there something I did wrong that wouldn’t let me book 2nd thru 8th? I already had the 7th booked from the previous day so I should have already had a reservation under me for that day.

Pretty disappointed. Went fine for 2 weeks then right at the end experienced this. 😔
It can happen that a member who can book at 11 months gets the room but, sometimes it’s a matter of something simple like not being in the modify existing reservation screen. Or, it could be that the dates chosen were more than one week? Book what you can. Set up a waitlist and keep trying. Often others walking will pass by and you will get the room for your dates.

It can happen that a member who can book at 11 months gets the room but, sometimes it’s a matter of something simple like not being in the modify existing reservation screen. Or, it could be that the dates chosen were more than one week? Book what you can. Set up a waitlist and keep trying. Often others walking will pass by and you will get the room for your dates.
So I’m booking three rooms and want all three of us in the same resort. If I create a waitlist to replace an existing reservation, does it email me asking if I still want to change? Or does it just automatically replace it if it becomes available?

So I’m booking three rooms and want all three of us in the same resort. If I create a waitlist to replace an existing reservation, does it email me asking if I still want to change? Or does it just automatically replace it if it becomes available?
It's automatic.

And this is just the risk of walking at 7 months. At any point in time you can be blocked.

Walking really only works at exactly 11 months to move it forward. At any other time, especially at a non home resort, its not the same. Sure, you can get a jump on others and it may work...but as you saw, someone else got that room and it very well could be a home resort person.

It would be based on a waitlist they set up during home resort and the system pulled it for them. Just keep trying. It is hard to get 3 rooms sometimes and I agree with others, if the goal is all the same resort, then I would not waitlist because you would be limited to just two of them, so no way to get all 3 rooms anyway.

So you are walking a seven-month reservation? While that CAN work it is not guaranteed to work - you are only able to block out other non-home resort members, but a home resort member can book that room in front of the "walker". I once tried walking a BCV reservation that way and it failed the same way - one of the last days was booked, so I could move the booking. Since then I don't bother walking for 7 months. (Actually I generally don"t bother walking for 11-months either, but that's a separate story.)

Unfortunately it sounds like you hit the risk of walking a reservation at 7 months. On November 1st, you had 6/1 to 6/7 (nights of the 1st through the 6th). On the second you wanted to "walk" your reservation by modifying it to 6/2 to 6/8, by adding the night of 6/7. Even if the 7th showed as available when you booked on the first, it can be "taken" before 8am on the 2nd. A home resort owner can book it. They don't need a long stay including everyday from the 1st to the 8th, they can book it by itself, at the end of stay, or at the beginning. They are in their 11 month window. If after you booked your 6 nights starting on the 1st, if the evenings of the 1st to the 6th are still available, later in the day (up till 8 am on the 2nd) and an owner at any resort can come along and book a 7 night stay (one that includes the night of the 7th) and maybe take the last room of available inventory away from you. Finally, if on the second, you waited until later in the day (not at 8 am sharp), someone else walking a 6 night stay could grab that last room.

When walking at 11 months (unless Disney is taking rooms out of inventory), you just have to walk the reservation anytime before the last day and anytime during the day. When trying to walk at a non home resort at 7 months, you want your walk to be as many nights as possible (that your points can cover) and 7 nights is best case. You also want to walk it everyday at 8am sharp. You are "competing" with every other 7 month walker, and all walkers are at risk of home resort owners booking a room to "interrupt" their walk.

10-4. Thanks guys.
I understand the risks with it, but just wanted to make sure I didn't do something wrong on my end of the deal since it was the first time I'd tried doing this.
The other weird thing is when I cancelled all 3 rooms to move us elsewhere, none became available for that night.
I do appreciate all of your guys notes and help!

Curious what resort? Sounds like as others mentioned you hit the tough part of walking inside the 11-month window though.

Could you instead, if you're looking for a 7 night stay, say June 7-14, book 9 days (June 5-14) and then modify to drop off the first 2 nights, if you have enough points? Oops, nevermind, I forgot you couldn't book more than 7 nights out.

Last edited:
10-4. Thanks guys.
I understand the risks with it, but just wanted to make sure I didn't do something wrong on my end of the deal since it was the first time I'd tried doing this.
The other weird thing is when I cancelled all 3 rooms to move us elsewhere, none became available for that night.
I do appreciate all of your guys notes and help!

It means the system held them to check against waitlists.

Walking at 7 months can at least get a jump on other 7 month intererested parties. So not a total wasted effort, but can crash and burn of course.

For Poly, I would hang in there, it might open up, and others way be walking too and walk on by your dates.

Remember, early June is a popular travel period for DVC. Most kids in the Eastern and Central US are out of school, and the point charts are favorable.

I'm sure glad I happened to read this thread. I was thinking December, not November, for 7 month for a June reservation....so I hopped onto DVC and was able to change my reservation from OKW to AKV Kidani Savannah just now!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter