What are they thinking!?!?

DisneyDayTripper

DIS Veteran
My brother and sister-in-law are on their honeymoon at WDW. They've got the free dining plan and went through and made a bunch of reservations, but never really had a plan of what parks they wanted to visit on what day, so one day we went with them to DHS and they had reservations that night at DTD, even though they went to DTD the night before. There was no organization to their trip and even after telling them how important it was to get to the parks at opening, they still showed up at 11:00 or 12:00. We went over to DHS and told them we'd meet them there at roap drop so we could get fast passes for TSM, but when we got there they hadn't even woke up yet. So we rushed over and go our fast passes for TSM and I road RNRC a couple of times and they finally showed up. We ended up waiting in stand by with them for TSM and then later we left early for work and gave them our fast passes to ride TSM again later. I guess my vent is just about how can people go to Disney and not have any sort of plan. They didn't look into anything and just figured they'd ride whatever. My brother was afraid to ride Soarin' because he didn't know what it looked like...I told him he would regret not riding it, but apparently that wasn't enough. I told them they needed to be sure they went and saw the fireworks at Epcot and MK, but as of their 3rd or 4th day they still hadn't seen any fireworks yet.They had been there for 2 days out of the 7 they had booked and I saw my sister-in-law's facebook status say she was ready to be home. I then checked my brother's facebook status this morning and his said they were heading home early. WHAT!?!??! YOU HAVE ALREADY PAID FOR THE HOTEL, YOU HAVE FREE DINING...AND YOU'RE AT WALT DISNEY WORLD AND YOU'RE LEAVING 2 DAYS EARLY!?!?

I just don't get it...I mean I understand we are all different people and have different tastes, but you're on your stinkin' honeymoon why would you cut it short, especially when your hotel and food are already paid for.

Well, leaving HS for dinner at DTD is not at all that uncommon, we do it.
But yeah, you need to think when you do ADR's. And leaving 2 days early?? I'm dumbfounded....

As a professional who deals with the public all day every day, I learned long ago not to ask why people do the things they do. My time is too precious than to spend it dissecting other people's decisions and actions. Human behavior is endlessly frustrating and always will be.There are no answers - people make often ridiculous decisions, and it will continue that way forever. Live your own life and you'll be happier.

Well, even though they are at WDW they are celebrating their honeymoon the way they want to. And, why do you think they are so late getting to the parks in the morning? :rolleyes1

Well, leaving HS for dinner at DTD is not at all that uncommon, we do it.
But yeah, you need to think when you do ADR's. And leaving 2 days early?? I'm dumbfounded....

Oh no, I agree with you...I wouldn't be able to spend an entire day at DHS so I would most definitely go somewhere else for dinner especially since you have to get there at rope drop or you won't get to ride TSM as much. I just don't understand why they would go to DTD the night before just to walk around, when they would be there the next night.

All I know is I love Disney and spend as much time as possible there and I'm only a short drive away. I guess this just shows me I must be adopted because the rest of my family would do this same thing lol

Different strokes for different folks. I love Disney World as much as anyone on these boards, but my personal opinion is that it is a terrible spot for a honeymoon, especially for people who are not Disney veterans. I think a honeymoon should be about relaxing and enjoying each other's time, not stressing about what reservation you need to make it to, and what rides you need to hit up. That being said, I am sure that many here would disagree with me.

Not everyone gets Disney World. My husband is one of them. Thousands go to WDW everyday with no plan and still love it. We started going in 1973 and didn't start with planning until 5 years ago. The lines didn't bother us. It was a part of the experience. Now lines do annoy me. It's a case of what I didn't know, didn't bother me. We see and ride more but everything is more rushed than in the past.

My brother and sister-in-law are on their honeymoon at WDW. They've got the free dining plan and went through and made a bunch of reservations, but never really had a plan of what parks they wanted to visit on what day, so one day we went with them to DHS and they had reservations that night at DTD, even though they went to DTD the night before. There was no organization to their trip and even after telling them how important it was to get to the parks at opening, they still showed up at 11:00 or 12:00. We went over to DHS and told them we'd meet them there at roap drop so we could get fast passes for TSM, but when we got there they hadn't even woke up yet. So we rushed over and go our fast passes for TSM and I road RNRC a couple of times and they finally showed up. We ended up waiting in stand by with them for TSM and then later we left early for work and gave them our fast passes to ride TSM again later. I guess my vent is just about how can people go to Disney and not have any sort of plan. They didn't look into anything and just figured they'd ride whatever. My brother was afraid to ride Soarin' because he didn't know what it looked like...I told him he would regret not riding it, but apparently that wasn't enough. I told them they needed to be sure they went and saw the fireworks at Epcot and MK, but as of their 3rd or 4th day they still hadn't seen any fireworks yet.They had been there for 2 days out of the 7 they had booked and I saw my sister-in-law's facebook status say she was ready to be home. I then checked my brother's facebook status this morning and his said they were heading home early. WHAT!?!??! YOU HAVE ALREADY PAID FOR THE HOTEL, YOU HAVE FREE DINING...AND YOU'RE AT WALT DISNEY WORLD AND YOU'RE LEAVING 2 DAYS EARLY!?!?

I just don't get it...I mean I understand we are all different people and have different tastes, but you're on your stinkin' honeymoon why would you cut it short, especially when your hotel and food are already paid for.

The bolded part.....

They may be asking themselves, why do people like Disney so much?

There are also people who don't really enjoy traveling too, would rather be home. Or maybe they just weren't enjoying themselves, and it doesn't matter what the cost is to get relief from the trip.

It really doesn't matter why.

They are on their honeymoon, so I can understand the late arrivals. However, I am having the same issue with my wife and step-children regarding understanding why you need some type of plan at WDW. They have never been (I have been 10+ times), but they insist that we are going to sleep in, get up "whenever" then decide on what we feel like doing for they day. I have tried to explain that if you want a realxing, sleep-in and do what you feel like vacation that we should go to the beach, not Disney, but they don't get it. They seem to think that since we will be there for 6 days that we will have plenty of time to see everything and ride everything numerous times.

I can understand them wanting to come home early.
What I can't understand is why they decided to go to WDW for their honeymoon? I can see die hard Disney fans wanting to do that, but first time visitors? No. Bad move.

we went to disney for our anniversary(first trip) we had a few dining reservations and had no other plans. read a few forums online. We had a great trip. we never made a rope drop. we did go the end of aug so we didnt have crowds(that was by luck not planning)
this time of year you should have no trouble going whenever you want and as honeymooners they very well may not race out the door and go commando. yet they should still have a good chance to do any rides they wanted without too big a line wait.

It is sad that they felt unhappy enough to leave their trip early, but as you said some folks just simply arent disney folks.

It ws their Honeymoon give them a break. Now I plan but I dont plan everything. I have notice that it was a lot easier to just book ADR's and then plan the park when I was there before I had kids. Now with a lo its a little harder.

Maybe they were feeling too much pressure. It is their honeymoon and they should be able to enjoy it however they want. Who cares when they go to DTD or if they are there for rope drop and Disney commando touring. Maybe they just wanted to enjoy each other and the atmosphere without feeling like they have to "accomplish" something.

You do not have to understand it, just accept it. People are different, there is no right or wrong way to experience Disney. If getting later to parks works for them, so be it. That is why people should travel with their families and not relatives or friends. You cannot make anyone go according to your plan, they have their own.

I have never been to a rope drop and never plan to. I'm on vacation, I like to sleep in. Different strokes...

If they are there now teh crowds are light and you can get a lot done in the parks without having to be there so early.

Actually, most of what they did I wouldn't have a problem with. I think there are a lot of people that way overplan a Disney trip. What's unfortunate is that they didn't seem to enjoy their honeymoon.

Although I like to know which park is going to busiest on a given day, I find nothing wrong with winging it or making a last minute switch. We got back about a month ago and a couple days we switched parks because the kids had something special they wanted to do. Its nice to have flexibility. And, frankly, its late September...the place is quiet.

And whats wrong with showing up late morning instead of rope drop? Especially on a honeymoon. Again, the parks just aren't that crowded right now. I can't imagine giving honeymooners the advice that they should make sure they get to rope drop!

Finally, and this is just my opinion, if I'm on a honeymoon, I don't think I'd want anyone else traveling with me. Its not time for a family vacation; that can come later.

Finally, and this is just my opinion, if I'm on a honeymoon, I don't think I'd want anyone else traveling with me. Its not time for a family vacation; that can come later.

That's what I was going to mention too. As far as I am concerned, a honeymoon is a trip for TWO. That's their main decision that I don't understand: no matter how wonderful the extended family, a honeymoon is a first trip for a NEW family, and I would want it to be just the two of us.

To each his/her own, though, I suppose.

Leaving a couple of days early would suck. Even if you just hang out at the pool and hit your ADRs it seems like you'd be able to relax and enjoy it. Heck, drive to the beach for the day even. Avoid Disney if you find out you can't stand it... but I'd still use my hotel room and meals.

I have to agree with a lot of the above posters. We just got back yesterday from 8 days and the only 'rope drop' we saw was the morning we had breakfast reservations at AK. As we walked by I didn't see much too it?... a TON of people waiting in line to rush the park and one family getting special attention in front of the crowd. Maybe there's more to it, but that's not my point. We were there for 8 days, got to the parks as late as noon some days and still had a blast and did everything we wanted to do. Most things several times. Any more time in the park and the heat may have done us in.

I don't think a honeymoon is about doing disney right. I hope they enjoy a long life together!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter