• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What are some tips that have always stuck with you

Rent a car.

Cross pack in case one bag gets lost.

Take breaks when it's hot out, either back to the resort to swim or in air conditioned restaurants/attractions.

Everything takes twice as long as you think it will.

We took a couple of mad lib books for the older kids to do on the bus and in long lines. Our ages were 5 and 10 and then a 17 yr. old who kindly played along with the younger ones. They really had some good giggles and made the time pass fast with these. Two tips that impressed me the most and helped the most were the clothing by day idea in the baggies, and also carrying our own little first aid kit to the parks. Vey minimum. Just wipes, band aids, a very small bottle of meds in case of headaches etc.

I forgot about Mad Libs! We've brought them before as well. Sometimes everyone around us in line would play. Also there is a Heads Up app that is a lot of fun in line.

Another tip I was reminded of in a different thread is to take post it/sticky notes for little ones that might be afraid of automatic toilets. I almost always have a couple in my pocket. A bandaid over the electronic eye will work in a pinch too.

Ziploc bags and hand sanitizer! That and a good stroller that folds up easy for the buses but still has plenty of storage.

Something I want to remember for next time is to spend more time on Main Street USA. We are always in such a hurry to get to where we need to be we often breeze right past it.

Outfits in ziplocks... YES, YES,YES!!!

Squeeze the air out for compact packing. Throw an extra outfit into to park bag easily. Easy to pull out at bag check. Do it!

I wasn't going to do it this last trip, as DS is turning 8 but he insisted. Just isn't a Disney trip without it!

Other best tip: pack unopened liquid hand soap. I always do this now and it's a huge yes on all trips. Leaving on a business trip on Tues....guess what is already in the bag? Buy em at the dollar store.

Glow sticks, light up toys, etc. Use a stroller as long as you can, even if you gave it up at home. Use delivery service to your hotel. Going back to hotel is when you want it plus it's cheaper and a better stroller. Practice folding and dividing up the tasks if using the bus (eg how to handle the stuff in the cargo bin (attach a very large canvas bag using a stroller clip or fold into cargo area. While waiting for bus, put everything in large bag so boarding you have three things: folded stroller, canvas bag, and child. One parent takes child and bag. Other takes stroller).

Travel size wipes, ziplocks, single diaper kits: large ziplock, one diaper, few wipes in small ziplock. Change child, put dirty diaper in ziplock with used wipes, seal and dispose.

As mentioned in a previous post, Body Glide or Vaseline for your feet. I use Vaseline. I would blisters on every single trip until I started rubbing down the bottom of my feet with Vaseline. It sounds messy to put your socks & shoes on after putting that on your feet, but by the end of the day, it will all be absorbed in to your smooth blister FREE feet.

The most important ones I learned last year were
1. If you aren't having fun, take a break and change scenery. If you have park hoppers, go to a different park. This made all the difference in the world last year when my kids and husband were having meltdowns at Hollywood studios.
2. Glo sticks. Bring extras to share with other children.
3. Don't try to do everything. We had each family member pick 1 or 2 things they wanted to do each day. We focused on making those happen and then everything else was a bonus
4. Rope drop!!!! We went during Easter week last spring, which was supposed to be one of the busiest weeks in 2015. We were able to get so many things done on the mornings before it got busy. It made our trip much more enjoyable
5. If you plan to ride Soarin at Epcot- bring a golf ball. When the PGA scene comes on, a golf ball comes at you. Hold up your hand with the golf ball that you "caught". I read this on the boards,but forgot the golf ball... My kids would have been amazed. Definitely doing this next trip.
6.Use something to mark your stroller- a ribbon/ bow/ balloon. Your stroller will get moved in stroller parking and it makes it easier to find if you have something that stands out.

Last edited:
The best family travel tip I ever got was from a Disney board - pack kids clothes by outfits, in plastic ziplock bags. Undies, socks, hair pretties, etc. All in one easy to grab and go pack. Makes getting dressed easy peasy in the morning. My husband doesn't interrupt my shower because he can't find someone's something, lol. The bags are ready to throw in to the backpack to haul in to the park in case of accidents.

I did this on our last trip! It was great while I was packing as I could easily see what outfits and how many I had for each girl. I could also label the bags so we knew what belonged to each girl without unpacking it. I could stick socks, undies and hair accessories all in one bag. I could even squeeze the extra air out like a mini 'Space Bag' to make more room in the suitcase. Whatever didn't get worn stayed in it's bag and was still clean when we got home!

Rent a car.

Cross pack in case one bag gets lost.

Take breaks when it's hot out, either back to the resort to swim or in air conditioned restaurants/attractions.

Everything takes twice as long as you think it will.

Cross packing is a great idea! A friend told me about that and it really made me much less worried about losing a bag en route.

Package diapers and wipes separately in zip lock bags- for grab and go access. Basically put a diaper in a zip lock, then 3-4 wipes in another zip lock and put that in the bag with the diaper. Makes it BEST advice I ever got.
This way when in the parks instead of lugging around the diaper bag you can just grab one of these and run to the restroom.

I do this too but I add disposable changing pads from target as well. This makes diaper changing so much easier plus you aren't reusing the same dirty changing pad over and over.

Plan rest times into your day. When my kids were little, we went back to the hotel after lunch every day and all took a nap. Now that they are older, I've planned down time into the day where we either go relax at the hotel, or take in a show at the parks....but something where we can all sit down, relax, cool down (if necessary). It really helps you enjoy everything more when you are tired, achy, or grumpy.

We had diapers, swim diapers, wipes and most of our toiletries sent to our hotel via Amazon Prime Pantry, and a local grocery delivered milk and other perishables. It saved us room in our luggage (very important when you are flying) and saved us a trip to the store to stock our room. I think Green Grocer delivers to WDW.

Last edited:
Bandaids. Bring band aids in the park!!

I always bring a tiny bag with some Tylenol, band aids, a couple of Benadryl, etc. Excited toddler is excited and runs, trips, and scrapes a knee? Band aid to the rescue! Daddy has a headache from Rockin' roller coaster? Tylenol! Walnuts in mom's brownie sundae? Benadryl!

I also bring some disposable ponchos for the inevitable mid day rain. If it's going to rain all day I bring proper rain gear, but for a chance of a summer shower the small disposable ponchos are fine and take up very little space.

Post-it notes.

Almost all of the toilets are automatic and loud. Give your child a post-it note to put over the censor. They then take it off after they're done going to the bathroom. Little kids can get freaked out when the automatic toilet goes off when they're still on it.

And be flexible. I thought I was supposed to plan mid-day break, as that's what I had read. I tried a few times and it was horrible. It did not work for my family. Instead, hitting rope drop and leaving earlier worked better. For some families, mid-day break is the way to go. But not for mine. Try out something and if it doesn't work, roll with it. Adjust. We've had to do this quite a bit with other things as well - like a child who refused to go on ANY rides the entire trip or dealing with temps we weren't used to touring in. We had another trip where a 3 year old was hating a park - so we decided to hop to another one to try to salvage it, and it worked. If it's not working out, change it - on the spot.

*I always come home with unused glow sticks and unused hand sanitizer. I'll likely pack them again, just in case, but we don't use them but I do it out of habit. I prefer to use soap and water for washing hands so we do that. As for the glo-sticks, they like them one day and then they're done with wanting them. Of course, again, every family is different. We've never had a single blister and never done anything special - but I brought every possible prevention method with us for our super hot Sept trip just in case. Eventually, I'll learn to pack lighter. (Though the Benedryl always comes. Never needed it on vacation but that's one I don't want to mess with!)

I do the ziplock thing too!! It's sooooooo easy! I always bring a pop up hamper too! This makes collecting dirty clothes so much easier! Even if your flying it's just nice to keep them separated and off the floor!

Take a grandparent, or two! This is my personal recommendation...being a grandmother.

We have actually used all of the above tips and had wildly susseccful, wonderful trips with varying ages of children and adults. As for the grandparent thing ( or any doting adult will do) i really think you can get the best of all worlds. I travelled with my DD, DSIL, and 8 mo DGS and another young couple a number of years ago. My DD and her husband had to take a trip in this time frame, but were reluctant to be seperated from their son for the week. I piped up, offered to pay my own way and to provide all the TLC my DGS required, while keeping him in the same zip code.

I accompanied them to the parks everyday and happily scooped up my handsome little prince whenever his parents and their friends wanted to enjoy an attraction or meal that wasn't age appropriate for him. I enjoyed the few evenings that he and I got to retire early, while the others had a late night. Back in the day, we communicated through walkie-talkies, and DD could always check in to arrange our rendezvous points. I saw the World from a totally different POV on that trip and it was one of my best trips ever. DD was thrilled to have her boy close by, and still be able to totally enjoy a couples' trip with friends.

We think we hit a winning formula, because we're are still travelling together, and have made numerous trips back to WDW and even a cruise. In fact, one week from today, we are surprising that same boy and his brother with another trip. The boys are now the high energy travellers, but the theme remains. DH and I are delighted to have any time alone with them we can whenever their parents would like to explore hand-in-hand with just one another. And we'll do lots of things all together. ❤️

Oh...we tried MemoryMaker last Sept and absolutely loved the photos and videos.

Bring an over-the-door hanging shoe organizer for all of your "stuff." We hang it on the outside of the bathroom door instead of cluttering the sink vanity & counter tops. Each person gets his/her own row. Then, I never have to search the room looking for my brush, deodorant, sunscreen, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter