What about a 3 year old?

Cale'smommy

Earning My Ears
We hope to cruise on the Magic next year going to the Eastern Carribean. Our son will have just turned 3 about a month prior to that. What is your experience with a child this age? Are they old enough to enjoy the club as well as time with mom and dad? Or should we wait? He is in daycare now, so strangers aren't a problem.

we just came back from a cruise with DD3 & DD8. When I realized they were actually going to be in seperate rooms I was a little worried about how dd3 would cope but she was just fine. Always wanted to go to the clubs. The only time I wasn't thrilled with the club was the first morning when it was really really crowded and it seemed like some of the kids were standing by themselves looking a little lost (our dd3 included). But the crowds thinned out after that first mad rush and she had a blast.

I would just caution to lower your expectations. Our son was three too when we did our first cruise and he was in daycare so we thought the club was going to be a sure thing and it wasn't. He went by himself two times for about an hour each time. We took him a couple times and he was fine if we stayed in there but he felt and looked lost. They are definately old enough to go, just really depends on their personality. We thought ours was going to be fine and planned all this time to just read and spend by ourselves and it didn't happen. I don't mean to come across negative or anything, I promise. I just don't want you to experience the disappointment like we did....Have a magical trip! :cool1:

Depends on the kid....at 2 1/2 my daughter loved going to all the shows, seeing movies, playing bingo, Mr Toads Race, the magic show and things that we did together ( I try my best to keep her out of the yukky pools but she goes swimming on excursions)..she HATED flounders, said there were all baby toys and she wouldn't go there...the next time she was 4 and spent a lot of time in the clubs...I sure missed her going to all the events with us and the next cruise she was 5 and didn't want to stay in the club at all...so it sure varies kid to kid and trip to trip LOL!!! Oh and every cruise she LOVED dinner time, the servers sure did entertain her with magic tricks, made things out of her napkin for her etc, she also loved picking up the phone and ordering room service to eat while we sat on the verandah!

My thoughts too: yes, it depends on your child. Personally, Ive witnessed many couples struggling to contain an overtired and fretful tot, who is too young to cope with busy ship-life. A stressed child=stressed parents! If you decide to take a youngster, then try to make sure they get enough rest. The sea-air is tiring for parents......let alone youngsters! :)

DD was 3 on our first cruise. DS5 lived in the club. DD went once & really didn't want to go back. DH & I spent lots of quality time with her at the pool, movies, lots of activities & meeting all the characters. She went to PS at the time but was not outgoing & we didn't expect to have much time alone onboard. One thing that we found with both kids was how easy it was to let them get over tired. There was so much going on that the didn't want to leave. By day 3 we worked out a routine that helped us cope better. :) We got DD out of the pool by 2:30 with a dish of ice cream that we took down to our room. She sat there out of her suit bundled in towels eating it. We put on a Disney movie on the TV & got her to sit on the couch with us after getting her dressed. She would fall asleep pretty easily. DH picked DS up from the club & put him on the bed. He was always easier to get to fall asleep. (Just stopped taking naps this past year. :( ) One day when neither of them were going along with the plan, we took them to the 3 pm movie. They didn't fall asleep but were still for 1 1/2 hours so they managed to recharge. :) We were able to get thru early dinner & the late show every night.

Just a reminder, to be in the clubs - the kids need to be completely potty trained - including the paperwork. They need to be able to get their pants down all by themselves etc. (elastic waisted shorts/pants are a great thing).

They are not allowed to wear pull-ups - with the exception of the late night movies when they usually fall asleep.

My dd turned 3 a week before our cruise last month. She had a ball in the kids clubs. I had to drag her out. The only time she wanted to leave was to go see the shows. It really depends on the child. We had friends with us and their almost 4 year old didn't want to stay as much.

Happy cruising!

We just came back a little over two months ago and we have a 3, 6 and 8 year old. Our little one had a great time, loved the clubs and was wonderful the entire trip - soaking it all in. Our older kids were in heaven as well! I think it would be a great vacation for all of you!!!!

All our kids (except for our DS12) all LOVED the clubs too. Our other DS3 was not quite 3 and a half, and did not go to daycare, so we were worried if he would stay there. But he did just fine. He loves playing with other kids.

All our kids are looking forward to go back to the clubs in November! :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter