What A Sad, Boring Place

I heard from a bus driver that this board was making a come back :woohoo:

I enjoy coming here and lurking and seeing everything........ now Walts frozen head that was :scared: but I printed it and and posted it all around my house and I can now live with the fact that out in Ft Wilderness is Walts head in a huge ice cube . :hug:

I'm glad that I looked in today. I used to love this forum and the characters that posted here. It was usually frustrating and sometimes downright maddening but it was also always interesting.

Did anyone ever find out who Another Voice was? I remember how much fun it was to conjecture about that.

Yes and no.

Some of us met him. Those same someones hung out with him in real life a couple times. We know his name, at least the name he gave us ;).

I heard from a bus driver that this board was making a come back

Perfect!! The best rumors have always started with the bus drivers. Unfortunately, they NEVER pan out!! So it looks like this board will NOT make a come back!!

Now!! Who wants to talk about Pre$$ler!!!???

One problem is that this forum is read a lot less than say the Theme Park Stradegies forum, so may people will simply post there to get more exposure.

Another problem is that so often I've seen people get attacked for having an opinion on a rumor. The attackers will say something like "don't complain about something that isn't official yet", or "why don't we all just wait until it is official before we complain", etc. Getting attacked for having an opinion get old after a while.

I agree.

On occasion what I posted was right, though unpopular with the Precious Pixie Pushin' Playtime Pals (actually said with affection!!!)

Was torn apart none the less. Gets old.

I greatly miss the old voices....who could say exactly what I was thinking but so much better than I could ever attempt.

Finally, for us, the view from inside has few Pixie Playtime Pal moments and it just wears you down. DH has only 2 years before he can take early retirement and luckily is part of a Disney Pension Plan which is funded thanks to his strict union. It will be a long 2 years.

2013 begins with more belt-tightening company wide. Sigh. 33 years--many changes!

1) There aren't a whole lot of "secrets" any more. Disney seems to float ideas via rumor all of the time, and it's pretty easy to tell what's really being considered vs. what's just thought up by somebody most of the time.

2) There isn't going to be a 5th major gate at WDW or a 3rd US Disney location for any time in the foreseeable future. The economics are completely against it. So any such rumors are automatically shut down and ignored because there's no "there" there.

3) Disney runs so many discounts and promotions these days that discussing upcoming (and rumored) promotions is pretty redundant and uninteresting.

So, as far as news goes, when there is truly news -- and in the rare cases of unexpected news -- this board is pretty active and the discussion flies freely. The Lucas deal and Avatar land announcements are two great examples. Announced expansions are discussed (e.g., FLE), but the discussions get worn out well before the projects are completed.

For rumors, so many of the fall into #1, #2, or #3 above, that they're immediately dismissed. Most "I heard a CM/bus driver say..." rumors aren't worth the electrons it takes to display them. So most of the interesting rumors come from other websites, and it's often just as easy to go there than to read it here.

For rumors, so many of the fall into #1, #2, or #3 above, that they're immediately dismissed. Most "I heard a CM/bus driver say..." rumors aren't worth the electrons it takes to display them.
So has it always been.

That's why back in my time on this board we discussed philosophy. Both business and Disney. And how, if ever, they could exist as one. I always thought they could because Walt made it work and kind of showed us how. But it does fly in the face of most business school, sharp pencil guys!!

Wow, lots of familiar names from way back when on this thread. I used to love hanging out here.

well I can say that it is a project of the DIS to get the rumor board some more activity and have a centralized location for both news and rumors. The rumor blogs have helped drive traffic here as has moving the boards up the order on the main DISboards directory. It takes time to bring something back from the dead. There has actually been a noticeable increase in traffic to these boards, so it's working but it just takes time. Also I'm happy to be quite involved but I was REALLY busy the last couple months preparing for a major move and trying to enjoy my last days in Orlando. Now I'm settled in cold, boring Wisconsin so I'm confident I'll be stirring the pot a bit more :thumbsup2

I rebookmarked the page, so I may be willing to come in a stir the pot.

Yeah, well I might waste my time a little around here too.

Peter! I got this from another thread, but brought it here because I didn't want bog down the conversation there.

SO... A little game for you. Who said:
How about simply returning to Walt's edict of "exceeding guests expectations."
Peter Pirate or DVC LandBaron?

And...

"Stupid Tourists" is the operative term because that is definitely how Disney management sees it. Hopefully numbers will soon starkly tell them this but sadly I think the masses are simply too stupid. The Walmart-ing of America and Disney happily participates.
Peter Pirate or DVC LandBaron?

The answer to question #1 is - BOTH!!! DVC said it ten years ago, Peter (FINALLY!!!) said it just the other day!!!

The answer to question #2 is - PETER!!! But it encompasses the LandBaron's (and therefore Walt's) philosophy perfectly!!!!

Like the Genie said in Aladdin, "He can be taught!!" It just took a decade!!!!

Welcome to the dark side Mr. Pirate!!!!!

:cool1:

I don't know if it's bitterness or a complete lack of self awareness and creativity. Either way, it's taking it's toll on the parks. Meg Crofton reminds me a LOT of Pressler/Harris. She seems to be cut from the exact same cloth. And they continue to do exactly what Presller/Harris did during their terms: Make big gift shops, throw huge..and pretty meaningless...marketing promotions and cash grab every penny they can...while not really paying much attention to the real reason people are coming through the turnstiles. Crofton is a marketing exec to the hilt...just like Pressler and Harris were really retail executives. Not one of the 3 seem to have had a good idea on how to run operations at a theme park/resort.

FLE is a nice exception...they've done a good job on that piece of MK. But it seems that was in spite of, not because of, the WDW Executives.

I think Lasseter's presence buys DLR a good decade, provided he doesn't get distracted by something else. There's been rumblings that the Disney board wants to move him up the chain of the executive structure, which might take DLR off his direct radar. Or it might not. Or he may have no interest in climbing the corporate ladder (considering, at this point, he has FU money in spades).

They must be listening....

Just like that, Crofton is out (sort of...she's no longer the WDW president, but she's still the president of parks and resort operations in the US) and the president of Disneland (George Kalogridis) is heading to Orlando.

Hopefully, that bodes well for Florida....

WOW. Great to see so many old timers posting here again. Those early days of the Crusade were a really fun time.

Back then, I was riding shotgun in Car 2 1/2. Now that a decade has since passed, and there has been little in the interim to get inspired about, one almost can’t help but be pushed into Car 3.

But I just can’t bring myself to make the jump. I guess I am a hopeless romantic. I’m clinging to the hope that Carsland’s success has helped move the pendulum a little in the right direction. That Quality is no longer viewed as something that only costs money. We have a CEO change coming up in a couple of years. Maybe, we get lucky and get someone who is willing take some risks that don’t only revolve around smart phones.

The Car 3 brigade is pretty disorganized here these days. There is a "WDW1974" fellow on a different News and Rumors board that reminds me a lot of AV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter